• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Buying a GCC expert 24, Will I be banned?

Jwalk

So I know I will more than likely be banned, I have seen countless threads on if your going to buy something buy a roland. Would really like to, contributing factors are persuading me otherwise.

I do primarily hand paints, this cutter would be for paint mask vinyl. We dont do tons of volume so doubt if the machine will get tons of use. If things pick up with this application hoping it will cause now I can stop pouncing or projecting or paying my printer, meaning can charge less.

rjssigns

As far as the GCC goes give it a shot. If it doesn't work bin it and have your accountant write it off.

One question though, why charge less? You buy equipment to help you produce more at the same prices you've always charged.

Once you start down the low price road you will be in a never ending race to the bottom.

Christian @ 2CT Media

The GCC product line is really good. Ive had 2 Jaguars, my current 72" is going on 4 years old and still trucking along with no repairs other then cutting strip.

I like it better then the Graphtech 7000 series I used to use.

royster13

I have 2 GCC cutters and they work just fine....Having said that, I would not buy another Expert 24 because they are noisy and not as accurate as my Cut 3000 (re-branded GCC Bengal).....I would go for an Expert Pro or if you can swing it, a Puma III.....

OldPaint

FINE.... buy crap..because you wont know what a great cutter is.....untill you own one.........i have a CX-300 ROLAND... and had 3 other rolands.......THIS CX-300 makes the others look like junk))))

Techman

use your cash to get a used name brand rather than a new unknown brand. There are a ton of negative posts about the cat named cutters for a reason.

Christian @ 2CT Media

Yeah those are the ones sold by signwarehouse not GCC. Signwarehouse cutters are completely messed up, the GCC not so much.

I bet my GCC jaguar can do anything and more then the Roland can for less.

OldPaint

oh???? it can do ANYTHING A ROLAND CAN???? OK.......................
lets do a decibel comparison....between the "cat" and a CX-300 ROLAND))))))))) with my CX-300 i can talk on the phone, carry a conversation in a normal tone....WHILE IT IS CUTTING.....!!!!!!!!!! hahahahahahahahaha

Jwalk

In regards to this question

"One question though, why charge less? You buy equipment to help you produce more at the same prices you've always charged.
Once you start down the low price road you will be in a never ending race to the bottom"

I would love to charge lets say 1960 production methods everything would take triple the amount of time, great so triple the amount of money.
I am competing in a cut throat world, I don't see people going for quality I see them going for the bottom line and if I can get tools to help my production I will use that to my advantage.

More power to you . I havent had the experience of living by ideals that hasn't worked for me.

As for the gcc it seems like its the top of the bottom so lets start a betting pool of whether I'm happy with the product or upset with the product in three months.

Techman

you cannot run a stepper motor cutter in the kitchen while the kids are asleep.
You cannot run a cheap cutter in the same room as your office phone while either is in use.

You have to baby sit the cheap cutter in case the material gets going crooked.

etc..

Rick

Certified Enneadecagon Designer
If you have never had a plotter, more than
likely, you will never know GCC sucks till
you upgrade to a Summa or Graphtec.

I would always suggest a Summa or Graphtec
over most any cutter/plotter but these are great
production machines... if you are going to occasionally
use it... you "might" be okay... just don't get too upset
if it can't track past 10'

Christian @ 2CT Media

oh???? it can do ANYTHING A ROLAND CAN???? OK.......................
lets do a decibel comparison....between the "cat" and a CX-300 ROLAND))))))))) with my CX-300 i can talk on the phone, carry a conversation in a normal tone....WHILE IT IS CUTTING.....!!!!!!!!!! hahahahahahahahaha

Thats easy cause my GCC Jaguar is a servo motor cutter, i frequently run my cutter and talk right next to it.

We frequently cut 20' - 30' decals for the fair industry with no issues on my "cat" plotter. Ive had a graphtec... you want tracking issue over pay for one of those. If you have the money get a Summa.

1leonchen

my 2 cents. i started out with something a cheap cutter like a gcc. its noisy no screen and some times a pain. but it can start. mine had a screen dont like the gcc. personally i would not buy a plotter without a built in display. but if if its what u can afford then go ahead. once u buy a real high end machine like a Roland or mimaki it will be night and day. but there are disadvantages to a high end cutter. like consumables. not promoting any one but u can even start with a red sail cutter from signwhare house. but it is without a doubt to start with the minimum of a Roland. a graphtec, sumama or a mimaki cutter. they have feature like contour cut, edge detection, on the fly pressure adjustment. precise cut, reg mark detection, pen feature. pouncing and so much more. i almost got the gcc but opted for the mimaki ex series. its so good. but for normal every day cutting i still use my cheap cutter. because it uses generic blades cost per blade is 5 blades to one original mimaki blades. the generic mimaki blades are not so hot. generic Roland blades are nice. from my cheap cutter i have acheived a lot. but if i had to do it again and had the cash i buy a roland easier to learn. if i am broke like dirt broke i borrow some money and buy a used good model roland gx24, graphtec c6000 or c5000, summa any 24 inch, or any 24 inch mimaki. trust me your night rest is more important. your sanity is better, even your love life. you wont talk in your sleep.

P.S. i am buying a jaguar 72" to match my printer.

AF

It is my understanding that GCC is the oem and sells the units to various names who rebrand them. Not sure about Graphtec.

I have a GCC Expert Pro. It's okay. I only need a 24 because I can cut anything bigger on my versacamm. The think I don't like on the GCC is that you will only get about 22.85 of media. The guy that I bought it from said... "you can use the whole 24 width because it cuts to the outside of the pinch rollers..." WRONG! you cannot. It does cut to the edge of the pinch roller but they aren't set to go 24 wide. That makes me mad when I literally need about .25 more to not waste so much material. I'm saying up for either a graphtec or a Roland. Haven't really decided yet. Other than wasting media, it's decent. They support is pretty helpful. I've ran this thing for three days straight before with only breaks to cut off the material and it worked perfectly. Once you get it dialed in you will be fine. Mine has servo motors which I really like and is the only way to go. I purchased a signwarehouse package once... big mistake. SO LOUD and inconsistant.

1leonchen

I have a GCC Expert Pro. It's okay. I only need a 24 because I can cut anything bigger on my versacamm. The think I don't like on the GCC is that you will only get about 22.85 of media. The guy that I bought it from said... "you can use the whole 24 width because it cuts to the outside of the pinch rollers..." WRONG! you cannot. It does cut to the edge of the pinch roller but they aren't set to go 24 wide. That makes me mad when I literally need about .25 more to not waste so much material. I'm saying up for either a graphtec or a Roland. Haven't really decided yet. Other than wasting media, it's decent. They support is pretty helpful. I've ran this thing for three days straight before with only breaks to cut off the material and it worked perfectly. Once you get it dialed in you will be fine. Mine has servo motors which I really like and is the only way to go. I purchased a signwarehouse package once... big mistake. SO LOUD and inconsistant.

look at the ggc website. there is a over cut function i think u can o up to 23.25 inches.

OldPaint

my CX-300 is a 30" cutter will run 36" material.......but cut only 29.50. when i run 24" material........i can get 23.70))))))