• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Calling all WRAPPERS.............

HulkSmash

By all means, everyone wrap starting in the middle.
The only reason why Ginos guy he talked to was starting in the middle is because he obviously had no training, and he taught himself.

GAC05

Quit buggin' me
Actually it is on the Right side of the car.
Furthermore you will find that more countries in the world drive with the steering wheel on the right side of the car as opposed to the left.:brittain:

Australian historian M. G. Lay traced the first regulation of one-side-or-the-other to the Chinese bureaucracy of 1100 B.C. The Book of Rites stated: "The right side of the road is for men, the left side for women and the center for carriages."

Those Chinese are very wise.........

wayne k
guam usa

Joe Diaz

By all means, everyone wrap starting in the middle.
The only reason why Ginos guy he talked to was starting in the middle is because he obviously had no training, and he taught himself.

No offense, but if you're that good at jumping to conclusions about a guy you don't even know, It makes me wonder if you jump to similar conclusions about the process other people use to do a job, just because it's different from yours.

HulkSmash

No offense, but if you're that good at jumping to conclusions about a guy you don't even know, It makes me wonder if you jump to similar conclusions about the process other people use to do a job, just because it's different from yours.

Hey Joe,
not jumping to conclusions i was PM'd facts. Unlike other people around here, I tell what I know. Gino asked a question, I answered it from experience, and to my best knowledge through EXPERIENCE in it. We were asked how to do something, and i'm going to tell you the right way. Would you like me to give backwards advice?

I wouldn't give advice on things I'm not very familiar with - example - electrical signs, most 3d work. We don't specialize in that stuff.

So you shouldn't assume, i'm assuming. Starting in the middle is not the right way. That's a fact any seasoned installer will tell you, no matter if you see failures or not from not doing it wrong way. Don't beat the kitten on this one, not trying to rustle feathers, just help people do things the right way.

Joe Diaz

See that's the problem I have. The "right way" in your experience, on this particular subject, doesn't make sense to me. And that's based off our experience. If it were just left at that. Fine. no big deal, just a differing opinion on how to do a job. Actually not even necessarily on how to do a job, but why you do it the way you do it. However you are the one saying things like "What an idiot" and "that's stupid" about others who also don't share your opinions. You are claiming other's experience is wrong.

The only evidence you have presented so far that wind is the culprit, for all we know, could be related to application error and started on the front of a vehicle where you can't overlap it with a panel anyway. I'll tell you this, all the years we have been installing graphics we have never had wind rip our graphics off. So unless you and the other "seasoned installers" can actually show some real evidence that this is a major concern, I don't think it's fair to call other people idiots. There are plenty of reasons to doubt this. That's my point. I have no issue with how you choose to do you job, but if you claim someone else is doing it wrong, then you should probably have better "facts".

Oh and one more thing: "experienced" doctors used to say smoking was good for you too, that was until they actually stated doing some real testing.:wink:

HulkSmash

Joe, not calling anyone stupid. You can get hung up on the fact that i called someone none of us know an idiot, no problem - don't care.

Here's my point.
You're putting letters on cars, i'm wrapping them. Much different. They're not the same. I'm not talking about lettering a smart car, or putting a stripe on a police care. I'm talking about wraps. I'm not comparing your letters to a wrap. I have no idea why you think it's the same. It's not only my "experience." Not that i care for 3m or any of their guide lines, but on the test to get certified if you circled the wrap from middle to sides you will fail. MY point, why risk doing it a way that could cause a premature failure.

Joe Diaz

Joe, not calling anyone stupid. You can get hung up on the fact that i called someone none of us know an idiot, no problem - don't care.

Here's my point.
You're putting letters on cars, i'm wrapping them. Much different. They're not the same. I'm not talking about lettering a smart car, or putting a stripe on a police care. I'm talking about wraps. I'm not comparing your letters to a wrap. I have no idea why you think it's the same. It's not only my "experience." Not that i care for 3m or any of their guide lines, but on the test to get certified if you circled the wrap from middle to sides you will fail. MY point, why risk doing it a way that could cause a premature failure.

And again, I'm not talking about lettering on a smart car. I know I've said that once. I'm not sure why a wrap and a super graphic on a semi would be any different in this case. Like I said we do a lot of those trucks, It's our bread an butter here and I can assure you they have just as much exposed edge area as a lot of wraps out there. We have also done wraps, most have been partial wraps, again a lot of surface edge. None of these have been damaged by wind. MY point is I question how much of a risk it is, if it is even a risk at all. I wonder if the choice of what paper towels we use to wipe the cleaning fluid off is more risky.

And on a side note: I wish that if someone failed the wrap test by missing that one question, they would have a "basic design principals" portion of that test. I'm not saying all wraps are poorly designed. but there sure seems to be an abundance of them out there. And what does it matter which way you install your panels if the graphics on your panels aren't effective at all?

GAC05

Quit buggin' me
And again, I'm not talking about lettering on a smart car. I know I've said that once. I'm not sure why a wrap and a super graphic on a semi would be any different in this case. Like I said we do a lot of those trucks, It's our bread an butter here and I can assure you they have just as much exposed edge area as a lot of wraps out there. We have also done wraps, most have been partial wraps, again a lot of surface edge. None of these have been damaged by wind. MY point is I question how much of a risk it is, if it is even a risk at all. I wonder if the choice of what paper towels we use to wipe the cleaning fluid off is more risky.

And on a side note: I wish that if someone failed the wrap test by missing that one question, they would have a "basic design principals" portion of that test. I'm not saying all wraps are poorly designed. but there sure seems to be an abundance of them out there. And what does it matter which way you install your panels if the graphics on your panels aren't effective at all?

This video is really short but you can clearly see the edges lifting due to the wind:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cbIyoO1_gDo

wayne k
guam usa

tyzero

Here is one simple solution. Why doesnt the installer take the total width of the printed panels which I'm guessing would be 52"ish and add all 13 panels up and figure his bleed?

ie: trailer is 636"/53'
13 printed panels @ 50" = 650"

That way he can start in the rear and work forward.

HulkSmash

Here is one simple solution. Why doesnt the installer take the total width of the printed panels which I'm guessing would be 52"ish and add all 13 panels up and figure his bleed?

ie: trailer is 636"/53'
13 printed panels @ 50" = 650"

That way he can start in the rear and work forward.

ding ding ding.

mopar691

for those who think wind damage doesn't hurt.
We did this back in Oct. 1 week later this happened. My guess is that my installer who did the hood, didn't tuck it into the grill all the way in that area. This is the result. I'm trying to save everyone the hassle of doing something twice.

Looking at this I would think improper care, automatic car washes, etc help aggravate this problem.

As far as side surface of a trailer, air speed is very minimal close to the surface. Watch the fly stick to your side window when your going 80 mph down the freeway. How come this nasty wind does not blow every magnet on every car off if it rips the leading edge of vinyl off?

HulkSmash

Looking at this I would think improper care, automatic car washes, etc help aggravate this problem.

As far as side surface of a trailer, air speed is very minimal close to the surface. Watch the fly stick to your side window when your going 80 mph down the freeway. How come this nasty wind does not blow every magnet on every car off if it rips the leading edge of vinyl off?

nope. They said they drove it out of my shop to ND. Happened on the trip there.

GAC05

Quit buggin' me
If you look carefully here you can see all the vinyl is still in place -both leading and trailing edges - good install - bad job parking.....

wayne k
guam usa

Attachments

• santa_maria_pd_crash.jpg
    santa_maria_pd_crash.jpg
    173.1 KB · Views: 100

Joe Diaz

Since the size of the graphics you install somehow makes a difference for some shops, and it's somehow safe to install door lettering on smart car or a little old police cruiser... but not a wrap on a box truck or van without backwards facing seems, how do they determine the exact size of a graphic the moment it's big enough to be ripped off by the wind? Is there some sort of mathematical formula? LOL