• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Can I Cut .080 Aluminum on Esko ?

KaranGrewal

We have big job of Aluminum .080 to cut. In the past we out source Aluminum cutting, now we have Esko XN24 router with 3KW head. We have never tried cutting aluminum on it. Mainly use it to cut vinyls , PVC and coroplast. Please share if any of you have success cutting aluminum on Esko and what type of bits are recommended. Thank you

visual800

i dont know about your machine but my guys takes special bits for his and aluminum will snap a bit in a second and sling it across the room. he refuses to cut alumium now unless its maxxmetal type substrate. he tried to cut some .080 for me and tried to make it in 2 passes, still didnt work using an AXYS ROUTER

rjssigns

I wouldn't want the mess in the shop. You'll probably want to use a mist style coolant rig to help bit life and control particles. Aluminum dust is abrasive and will get into everything too. Besides it's no good to be breathing the dust either.

I use a local sheet metal shop that has a 10000 watt laser table for all aluminum cutting.

J Hill Designs

i dont know about your machine but my guys takes special bits for his and aluminum will snap a bit in a second and sling it across the room. he refuses to cut alumium now unless its maxxmetal type substrate. he tried to cut some .080 for me and tried to make it in 2 passes, still didnt work using an AXYS ROUTER

my axyz (very old 3'x3' unit) cuts aluminum great - we even did 1/2" aluminum (4 pass, with coolant mist) once. -- .080 should cut quite well

.080 SINGLE PASS WITH NO PROBLEM. ON a old Router Master Table AXYZ. Single up flute. Just let it go nice and slow. We just spray WD40 on it to keep the bit from fusing to the aluminum. But really you don't even need it if you drive it slow.

Techman

.080 will cut like butter. Tie it down good. Use a good spoil board below it. Use tap magic as a cutting juice. IT dries clean

I cut aluminum a lot. You have to have right alloy 5052 or 6061. 3003 Is to soft. I am using .25 single flute endmill . I can cut at 110 ipm with cold air gun. Depend on the size of final product I will cut in two or one pass. If something small I do last pass of .040. Maximum pass of .125.
Problem with aluminum that is shaving gets everywere.

synergy_jim

tons of tooling out there now that requires zero mist / cooling. Do some research, it can be done. Your biggest obstacle is most .080 aluminum is of the soft variety. It likes to gum up bits.

spectrum maine

cutting aluminum on a router takes practice & the right bits. your chips should look like tiny flattened "c" shapes. i put little soap & water puddles in the cutting path about every 30 seconds for the bit to cut through. not alot so your spoilboard stays dry. most people cut too slow. Hold down is very important to prevent chatter. also use tabs for small pieces.cutting on a router is all about the window of chipload vs. speed & aluminum has a very small window.