• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Can it be done from a business card?

2 see signz

would anyone consider doing a large shop sign from a business card?
the file i have is small and it will pixulate when making it large, how can i get around this? i have x5 and photoshop, but have a complete blank on how to do this.....

SignManiac

As an artist/designer you should be able to recreate it using the tools you have in X5...The software you have is magic in capable hands.

Locals Find!

Call the printer of the business card and request the original files or have you client do it.

Tell em what your looking to do. If he doesn't have a release for the artwork don't do the job.

dman0427

If its a photo of a car you're going to need a higher res file to work with. It may be find-able online.

If its not a stock photo, you may have to take a higher res photo yourself of the vehicle...

I'd explain to the customer the issue and see if he's willing to use a substitute/ higher res image you already have, or can buy from istock or similar site.

sign_student

I could be way off

I think might embarras myself here but I could be right - I'll have a whack at it.

From what i understand you need to get that into a vector format to be able to blow it up to any size you like without loosing quality. I believe there is even a merchant member that does this service - Vector Doctor.

I hope that helps... If not, at least i tried.

gl

Last edited:

WhiskeyDreamer

Professional Snow Ninja
if you can scan in or have a low res of just the car, use tineye to reverse search the image and you might be able to find a good high res file (with a $$ attached) that will work for what you're looking to do...

SignManiac

Would anyone consider doing a large shop sign from a business card?

I probably would not. The result would not make for an effective primary sign because most business cards have far too much information on them that isn't necessary on a larger sign. If you blow up a business card to a 4'x8' sign, it's going to look like a big ugly business card and not a sign.

It's okay to use the pertinent information from the card to design a sign but that's all its good for. Business cards and primary signs, serve two different purposes. A business card can list a lot of crap but the main sign needs to be straight to the point. It should be simple and legible through the use of good fonts and appropriate color choices and intelligent design.

OldPaint

i have PRINTED a 32" X 48" sign.....from a 2x3 business card. but i retyped the TEXT and laid it over the existing text on the jpg. wasnt the best lookin but was a temp sign to begin with.

R08

There are a lot of tricks you can use to accomplish this. Can you show us the Card??

SignManiac

That's pretty big for such a small file. Yeah you can enlarge it to 7' but it's gonna look pixelated and grainy.

Locals Find!

I was playing with your file in corel and was able to convert it to size fairly easily any pix-elation shouldn't be noticeable at that size and the viewing distance a 7 foot wide sign would need.

ams

You won't be able to use that image, but maybe you can remake it? If not tell them to send you a larger format of the graphic.

JimmyG

the client's biz card is usually just the first notion of what they want enlarged to a large sign...always requires a redraw and the ohso-elusive "art charge" to cost out/quote and further the job...

mikey-Oh

if you can scan in or have a low res of just the car, use tineye to reverse search the image and you might be able to find a good high res file (with a $$ attached) that will work for what you're looking to do...

+1 for tineye! great asset for all image searches. though it didn't that derned bass i posted earlier...