• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Can Mimaki Print and Cut like Roland

vikcho

Hi Friends,

It's my first thread in here. Need your help to make a decision.

I am using Roland SC-545 Ex print and cut machine from last 5 years in India. Now I wish to increase my production by upgrading the machine. Found Mimaki CJV series interesting.

All the work I do is stickers only (i.e.: All job print and cut). Now what I have come to know that the Mimaki can't cut without reg. marks, as roland do.
As printing speed of Mimaki is more but it will waste media and time in first printing marks and then reading them before cutting will not help my cause of upgrading.
I downloaded the latest manual of the CJV series from net in which pg 4-32 says the machine with firmware 2.1 can print and cut without reg. marks.
The local dealer is not confirming me so if someone is having this printer can confirm me it will be great.

Also if I buy a separate printer and cutter will it give the same accuracy in cutting??

Which brand plotter is best suited for Counter cutting ??

Do any one here have used the GONGZHENG THUNDERJET V1802S ECO SOLVENT PRINTER. If yes your views on it's built and production quality ??

Any advice on the above matter will be very helpfull.

Thanks and Regards
Vikram Chopra

Vikram,

I have a Mimaki CJV, used to have a Roland Sp. Love the new Mimaki, and yes it will print/cut without registration marks. I would say it cuts (without) registration marks as good as my Roland ever did. But with the registration marks....its amazing deadly accurate. If you get a seperate cutter you would need to print registation marks to allow you to remove the vinyl from one machine and align it in the next. But you can print groups of decals with registation around the group and not around each decal. The print quality and speed of the CJV is great, overall I am very happy with this machine, best of luck on your decision.

Fine Line Darrel

vikcho

Thanks for your reply Fine Line Darrel.

But can you also tell me the production speed you are getting on that machine. I wish to use it in 4 color option. At what speed do you cut a print job for accuracy??

I am getting good accurate cutting from my Roland without reg. marks. Max print and cut file size 3' x 2'(With multiple small stickers in it) . What max size you have tried without reg. marks ??

Also let me know that do you have to create separate print and cut files for the job or apply a cut-path like Roland ??

Separate printer and cutter can increase the productivity to almost double, but do you think it will give the same accuracy. if yes which cutter do you recommend ??

Thanks once again.
Regards
Vikram

Letterbox Mike

For what it's worth, we run a Mimaki JV33 and a separate Summa S160D plotter. We run alot of decals. If you're concerned about speed, productivity and accuracy, I'd look into a similar combination.

Case in point, this week we had a job to print 20,000 2"x4" decals. We ran them on 54" calendered vinyl. We printed 20 sheets of 1000 decals, 24 decals across, 42 decals tall. Each sheet with registration marks was 54" by about 178", so they're not small sheets by any means.

We printed at 540x1080 6-pass bidirectional which tends to give us excellent print quality. Each sheet of decals was done printing in approx. 25-30 minutes. When one sheet was done, we loaded it into the plotter and started cutting. Cutting took approx. 10-15 minutes per sheet. The key here is while we were printing one sheet of decals another was cutting simultaneously. We didn't have a single miscut or cut that was out or perfect registration on the entire job.

In the end, while one sheet was printing, another was cutting and yet another was being finished (weeded, cut down, packaged). All in all, from start to finish, the job took about 12 hours. Had we had to rely on a print/cut machine, that time would have been more than twice that amount of time, considering I've never seen a print/cut machine that can cut anywhere near as fast as a standalone plotter can (we ran our Summa at full speed, which is pretty darn fast).

Letterbox Mike

Onyx. Works like a charm, the only problem we ever have had with it was sometimes it would double-cut the cut line, but I'm not convinced it was an Onyx issue, I believe it has something to do with the file being saved in Illustrator. None the less, we found the solution to the problem just a few days ago in another thread here. Otherwise, I have zero complaints for Onyx.

vikcho

Thanks Insignia,
But I still have some questions:

1. But here in India there is no availability of Summa Cutting Plotters. Which other brand can I chose for accurate cutting. I have options of GSS Jaguar IV, Graphtec and Roland.

2. The job you printed was huge do you also gave intermediate reg. marks for the job or the corner marks were enough ?

3. How much wastage of media is required for printing reg. marks ? How much gap is required between two prints ? All top ,bottom, and side margins required ?

4. Have you got ant idea about GONGZHENG THUNDERJET V1802S ECO SOLVENT PRINTER as it is cheaper then Mimaki have same printheads but have 2 heads so have almost double production compared to Mimaki JV33.

Thanks and regards
Vikram

vikcho

One more question
Are Flatbed cutting plotters more accurate?
The company claimed so as there is no moving of media the cutting comes accurate, is that true as they are expensive.
Any one know about AOKE Flatbed plotter??
Please give me your opinion.

Thanks and regards
Vikram

FatCat

Thanks Insignia,
But I still have some questions:

1. But here in India there is no availability of Summa Cutting Plotters. Which other brand can I chose for accurate cutting. I have options of GSS Jaguar IV, Graphtec and Roland.

2. The job you printed was huge do you also gave intermediate reg. marks for the job or the corner marks were enough ?

3. How much wastage of media is required for printing reg. marks ? How much gap is required between two prints ? All top ,bottom, and side margins required ?

4. Have you got ant idea about GONGZHENG THUNDERJET V1802S ECO SOLVENT PRINTER as it is cheaper then Mimaki have same printheads but have 2 heads so have almost double production compared to Mimaki JV33.

Thanks and regards
Vikram

1. Can't say about the Jaguar, but Graphtec and Roland are both reliable machines. Just realize you'll need a model that has the ability to optically read registration marks. (Roland GX-500 or Graphtec 5000, 7000 or 8000 series)

3. I know with my Summa which is run by Wasatch, I waste approx 1" (2.54 cm) on all 4 sides due to registration marks. Ultimately, it will vary depending on your software and cutter specs. However, that small percentage of waste shouldn't be an issue on most jobs.

**I agree totally with Insignia that a separate printer and cutter will ultimately yield the most speed and flexibility for you.

Vinylman

IF you are settled on getting a Mimaki printer {which I personally recommend} then it would make perfect sense to also get a matching {meaning same or larger plotter} Mimaki plotter.

These printers and plotters are truly some of the best built units I have ever owned.

I have a JV33-160 printer, and a CG-160FX plotter, and they are true work horses.

You WILL NOT BE SORRY if you buy Mimaki.

vikcho

Thanks FatCat and Vinylman,
But do anyone know about GONGZHENG THUNDERJET V1802S ECO SOLVENT PRINTER as it have almost double the production speed of mimaki jv33, Ink cost is almost 1/3 and is $5000 cheaper then mimaki too.
Also GCC jaguar IV is 1/2 the price from Graphtec FC8000 with same specifications. Will it work good on reg. marks ? Have any one used it ??
Thanks And Regards
Vikram

Vinylman

It would seem to me that due to the fact that you are located in Delhi, {India?} you have a better opportunity to verify the stats on the THUNDERJET V1802S.

One question I need answered by you Vikram.

What is your current relationship with the Thunderjet?

Are you employed by the Indian distributor? or are you in any way responsible for the sale, distribution or marketing of this product?

vikcho

Don't take me wrongly Vinylman,
I am very serious about my business and just wanted to know if anyone is currently using the machine can give a better review about built quality and production quality. Can't find the review anywhere on net so used singns101 for assistance in taking decision. In delhi India only one machine installed just one month back so no real feedback.
Thats all I can say rest depends on how you think.
Regards
Vikram

FatCat

Vikram, I would bet most of us in the USA have never even heard of the machine you're talking about. So I find it unlikely anyone would be able to give you a report on it's performance.

One of the many major considerations I gave before purchasing a printer was the ease in which I could obtain parts and service years later. Roland, Mutoh and Mimaki are arguably the top dogs for smaller eco-solvent machines here in the USA. Parts can be found easily for most models as well as service by trained technicians. They have formed solid relationships with many sign vendors that I use (Fellers, Grimco, etc.) I would feel comfortable purchasing any one of their machines knowing that I would have access to parts and service long after the sale.

Personally, I would never gamble on a piece of equipment like this Thunderjet you speak of. Too many unknowns regarding parts, service and technical service.

Rooster

For what it's worth, we run a Mimaki JV33 and a separate Summa S160D plotter. We run alot of decals. If you're concerned about speed, productivity and accuracy, I'd look into a similar combination.

Case in point, this week we had a job to print 20,000 2"x4" decals. We ran them on 54" calendered vinyl. We printed 20 sheets of 1000 decals, 24 decals across, 42 decals tall. Each sheet with registration marks was 54" by about 178", so they're not small sheets by any means.

I run pretty much the same set-up except the summa is the S-class T head and I use Wasatch for my print cut software and it's worked fine. I think you're right on the double cut being an illustrator issue. I get the same thing occurring with wasatch.

Out of curiosity what do you guys use to trim down your big sheets into individual decals? It's a real time consumer for me and I've been looking for a way to either automate it or find a better method than a knife and ruler or a pair of scissors. I'd like the decals to all wind up the exact same size after weeding and cutting.

vikcho

Thanks allot to all the guys for providing your opinions. I have finalized my decision and want to share it here. I am buying Gongzheng Thunderjet 1802s printer and Graphtec FC800-160 plotter.
My last question is if I print using PhotoPrint 6.1 software(provided with printer) and cut with Graphtec software(I think FineCut) will I lose accuracy?
As the two guys using similar setup with Mimaki and Summa are using Onix or Wasatch software for both machines.
Thanks and Regards
Vikram