• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Can someone explain to me

knucklehead

What is HP's reasoning behind making a 42 inch latex printer, rather than 48. Other than just pure marketing greed, to make one spend another ten grand to be able to print 48 inches.

The L25500 was available in a 42 inch width. That printer series was based on the Z-series machines, a traditional water-based printer that has long been available in a 42 inch width.

HP no longer offers the 42 inch latex printer - the current L26500 is only a 61 inch device.

FrankW

What is HP's reasoning behind making a 42 inch latex printer, rather than 48. Other than just pure marketing greed, to make one spend another ten grand to be able to print 48 inches.

I don't know how it is in the US, but in europe 48 inches is a really unusual size, and not so much media (except cutting vinyl) is available in 48 inches.

premiercolour

Merchant Member
That's right. Lots of Epson & Canon aqueous printers are 42" wide.

We have full stock of 42" aqueous Polypropylene material w/o adhesive for quick sale. It is tested on Canon iPF series and HP5000/5500 UV with no problems.

sales@fieldcenterusa.com for more information.

Fastsigns2041

Fastsigns Palm Harbor
It's not for 4x8 sheets of material. 42" and 48" printers are used primarily for indoor posters and marketing displays.

Robert Gruner

Desktop color inkjet quickly expanded to wide format. 24" and 36" first for CAD printing, then for Giclee, photo, sign posters etc. Manufacturers first moved to 42/44" to include the metric users in Europe and the Pacific RIM. Encad NovaJet54 (54" wide) took the sign market by storm as it was first to offer end users ability to print 4'x8'. Competition
eventually moved to 60+" printers to satiate metric users who wished to print 1.5 meters.

In HP's case, the first L25000 series were built on Z-Series aqueous printers platform which included 42" and 60" models.

Happy New Year...and hopes for a growing economy.

Techman

42 in printer is much more valuable than a 36. I replied to a printer survey a while ago and wrote that I avoided buying the roland 36" printer simply because it wouldn't print a full 36" banner width.

I also mentioned that I rarely used the full 60 in width of my printer.

So I speculate the designers realized that the 36" printer was a waste of design energy.

Mike F

42 in printer is much more valuable than a 36. I replied to a printer survey a while ago and wrote that I avoided buying the roland 36" printer simply because it wouldn't print a full 36" banner width.

I also mentioned that I rarely used the full 60 in width of my printer.

So I speculate the designers realized that the 36" printer was a waste of design energy.

Pretty much agree with all of this. 54" seems to be the sweet spot if you're not doing ginormous prints all the time.

phototec

I thought it predated offset, maybe not.

Oh yes, the earliest known woodblock printed posters were made in Japan back in the 700's.

And poster sizes very depending on which purpose and country they come from, take the photography industry, their size has nothing to do with a printing press, but the size of photographic paper that is available.

I have made very large photographic posters by projecting images in my darkroom onto the wall and processing the exposed paper in custom made trays made from 2x4's lined with black plastic. Using 36" wide roll paper, I made a couple of B&W prints for a customer (747 pilot) of the inside view of his cockpit, 96" wide and 36" tall. A bit of a challenge, to wash and dry the prints after processing, but after mounting the prints they looked great.

:smile:

No, I don't miss the smell of that Kodak Rapid Fixer.