• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Can you make pole pockets without a banner welder?

tanisha

I have a banner to do with pole pockets, however I don't have a banner welder. Can I use normal banner hemming tape with eyelets to help secure? I have a sewing machine but not sure the thread would be thick enough? Any advice welcome. Also for the future if this becomes a regular thing, what welder would you recommend?

Signstein

I have also made plenty with hem tape and grommets, but they're usually smaller, temporary, under a covered alcove, etc.
Depending on your job, there is also HH-66 vinyl cement. It may provide a little extra help.
I used it for the first time recently and it worked really well.

unclebun

We do pole pockets with banner tape to make the pole pocket. We don't hem the sides on those. If it's an outdoor banner there is a grommet through where the tape is on each corner. This is for the ones that go on a light pole, so they are usually narrow and fairly small. Indoors we do bigger banners with taped pole pockets.

If it's really a more durable type of banner (has to be displayed more than a weekend or more than a single event) we have them sewn.

FireSprint.com

Trade Only Screen & Digital Sign Printing
This works great. Banner tape with a grommet in the ends of the seams will work well in most applications.

We do pole pockets with banner tape to make the pole pocket. We don't hem the sides on those. If it's an outdoor banner there is a grommet through where the tape is on each corner. This is for the ones that go on a light pole, so they are usually narrow and fairly small. Indoors we do bigger banners with taped pole pockets.

If it's really a more durable type of banner (has to be displayed more than a weekend or more than a single event) we have them sewn.

Signarama Jockey

There is a banner tape specifically for pole pockets. Fellers sells a 3M VHB Double Sided Gray Adhesive Pole/Seam Tape and a BannerUps 1" Pole/Seam Tape.

I would trust simple banner tape for indoor use, pole tape for sheltered outdoor use and would do stitching for places where it has to really deal with the elements.

petepaz

i have used velcro for step and repeat banners with no issue. wrap the banner over the top cross pole of the frame and attach it to itself with the velcro. but like already mentioned it depends on the use and size of the banner