• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Can you smooth the outline???

BadAss

O.K. I have always used Corel and love it, however whenever I am doing a font and need it outlined I go to Flexi. The reason is in Corel sometimes my nodes shoot out to no where. and are very jagged. But in Flexi nice smooth curves around the points. So I just upgraded to X3 and still can't find anywhere to smooth out the outline curves. Flexi has had this feature in great easy to use since at least 5.0 What is up with Corel. Am I missing the area to adjust this? or has any one else noticed this? If I am missing something will someone please let me know...Thanks to you all.. Every one here has been great to me for the time I have been here....Mykel

Signmaster1

O.K. I have always used Corel and love it, however whenever I am doing a font and need it outlined I go to Flexi. The reason is in Corel sometimes my nodes shoot out to no where. and are very jagged. But in Flexi nice smooth curves around the points. So I just upgraded to X3 and still can't find anywhere to smooth out the outline curves. Flexi has had this feature in great easy to use since at least 5.0 What is up with Corel. Am I missing the area to adjust this? or has any one else noticed this? If I am missing something will someone please let me know...Thanks to you all.. Every one here has been great to me for the time I have been here....Mykel

If you use the contour outline tool to make your outline you'll occasionally get a stray node jump out there, If so just use the node edit tool, Select the node delete it and if it leaves an arcing loop just click it and change it to a line. As far as smoothing the corners alittle to make the plotter run alittle better, There is a fillet tool (I think thats what it's called) that can put alittle round on the corners instead of them being dead 90's.

BadAss

Thanks Signmaster. i will check it out in the morning and see how that does for me. I really have the problem when using Cartoon font and Abbandon...Will see how it goes...Thanx Again....M*

Jackpine

It could be that the font quality isn't very good and that is what could be contributing to your problem. There is a difference in quality fonts and others. Look at signfonts.com and you will see quality fonts, smooth curves, eased corners and good kerning..
Thanks Signmaster. i will check it out in the morning and see how that does for me. I really have the problem when using Cartoon font and Abbandon...Will see how it goes...Thanx Again....M*

BadAss

Hey Jackpine, Yeah these fonts are rough. But if I move them into Flexi and outline it smooths out every time. Mo worries. I do boat numbers for this co. and they ALWAYS seem to pick that Freakin font... So I do the numbers in draw and export to fFlexi in order to outline. No real big deal, but I figure by this time Corel would have figured out a way to do it since Flexi has been for 6 years now.. I was just hoping that the new X3 would be a little bit more kind in the adjusting department...Thanx,,,M*

Jackpine

I use X3 everyday and haven't had this problem to the degree you state. I do everything in Corel X3 and export to Flexi as an eps to cut.

Signmaster1

I use X3 everyday and haven't had this problem to the degree you state. I do everything in Corel X3 and export to Flexi as an eps to cut.

I use X3 all day to and haven't had the cutting problem on the plotter, We
use a fine cut plug to cut from corel without the export.

BadAss

Yeah, That is what I do when I am on the other computer, since I only have Flexi on the shop one. I was just thinking that after all these years Corel might have had a property area on the contour like Flexi that would automaticlly smooth out the outline..I just thought maybe I couldn't find it and someone else might know.. But Jackpine & Signmaster-- If you get a chance try and do like AZ~1234~BM in Cartoon or Abandon then do a .20 outline in X3 and you will see how bad the outline cut would be... But in Flexi using same font and outline..Smooth as silk...Well I will just keep doing it the same ol same ol I guess...Thank You all for you response...M*

woolly

you can put a pen nib type and width on the outline, then convert outline to object and discard what you dont want.

that will give you rounded corners if required.

corel is not the best at this x3 is alot better but the real problem as stated before is font quality, in the first place.

if you look at the nodes making the letter outline you will proberbly find, 2 nodes on top of one another or far to close together.

woolly

weaselboogie

Its ALWAYS the font. Bad nodes. Sometimes I weld the font together (curve) and delete or edit some node handles before I do a contour.

Another cool thing you can do if there are a TON of nodes and you need it contoured is to convert it to curve, select the shape tool, markee ALL of the nodes, and change them to convert curve to line. This usually only works with heavily distressed fonts. The reason you get a spike is because a node handle is usually pointing back onto a previous nodes direction.

Another thing that I have tried, is to use the outline tool, then Arrange> convert outline to curve. Now, you break apart the object and delete the inner shape and that leaves you with just the outline. More work, but you get the line clarity of an outline pen with the better properties of the contour.

OldPaint

the fonts you got are CRAP......i been CUTTIN FROM COREL since version 3...AND NEVER have had your problem!!!!!
the font youre usin come form a CRACKER JACKS box????
only time i had a similar problem was with corel 4 and i loaded some crappy demo add on to corel sign program....SIGN TOOLS. even after i removed the demo....i had to reformat and reload to get it back to normal.
if it aint the font then you aint doin somethin right....COREL X3 ROCKS...ask any who know what it can do....

customquint

the fonts you got are CRAP......i been CUTTIN FROM COREL since version 3...AND NEVER have had your problem!!!!!
the font youre usin come form a CRACKER JACKS box????
only time i had a similar problem was with corel 4 and i loaded some crappy demo add on to corel sign program....SIGN TOOLS. even after i removed the demo....i had to reformat and reload to get it back to normal.
if it aint the font then you aint doin somethin right....COREL X3 ROCKS...ask any who know what it can do....
Ouch!

I've had the same problem with Corel also. Still looking for the easy solution to do a quick edit and smooth out curves like Flexi.

As far as Crappy font, sure alot of the problem come from the font, but you should be able to work with whatever font you want, and make outlines.

BadAss

It is COREL Not the font. O.P seems to be angry!!!! Who knows But I guess we just use larger selection of fonts for our customers then him...

OldPaint

i only got about 10,000 fonts....and it aint corel...like i said....i been CUTTING FROM COREL since version 3.... and never had the problem...so lets count all the versions between 3 & X3....without any problems
and iam not angry, YET))))
its OPERATOR ERROR or fonts.....like i said....

Jillbeans

I design in Corel and import into GA because I also find their outlines to be node-filled and spikey.
Especially on scripts or Old English types. Even with expen$ive fonts.
Even outlines on a drawn circle can be "nodey"!
I have only been working with Corel for 3 years, first 9 then 12.
Nothing is smoother than a hand-painted outline, or more fun. I try to do that whenever possible.
As for having 10K fonts...who the hell wants that?
I try to limit my font choices, therefore giving me even more of an iron fist in a velvet glove with my customers.
I think I only have about 400.
Love....Jill

jdb

I've noticed that corel adds lots of nodes and spikes out like that. I've never had this happen on any other sign program. I've taken designs and fonts I've created with other programs that where painstakingly cleaned up and brought them into corel and had to reclean them. It added lots of nodes where there where none, I know because I put them there in the first place.

BadAss

Yeah we know it,s Corel. I was just busting OP chops. With the other comments (like he seems to do to others with degrading comments) Guess he don't like it much either..And I also have been using Corel since version ? (about 10 years now) Anyway I do art for bikes valued at as much as $500,000 So I don't like someone who doesn't know me to try and say I don't know what I am doing. As the others here who are also Corel educated have said "It Is Corel" . I am sure your great at what you do OP but don't point fingers at others who ask a question and say it is there fault. Remember when you point a finger , 3 more are pointing back at you...O.K. well I'm done for now...I thought this was a forum for education, not degradation...

OldPaint

try CONVERT TO CURVES.....duh......
as for HAVING 10,000 fonts.....what i use.....is a whole different story.
what i was sayin with the 10k fonts.........is i got SIGNDNA, ADOBE,ALL THAT COREL had from 3-X3 to choose from. as for what o got on the computer is under 400. you never know when you get something to reproduce ...what font they used.
iam using corel x3 now..and never have the problem....iam tell ya this cause youre doin something wrong.....in windows there is a SMOOTH FONTS box, you got it workin?????? outa the 10k fonts i got i have some i picked up at computer shows for $5-10 a CD....these are the ones that WILL GIVE YOU YOUR PROBLEM.
any of the COREL, ADOBE, SIGN DNA, LETTRASET....or other foundries....will be good.