• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Canon Colorado 1650 FEEDBACK

balstestrat

Problem Solver
The Colorado would likely save you enough on ink compared to the HP printers to pay for the printer and service contract. How much do you spend on HP ink per month, Colorado would cut that in half. Plus Colorado is made in the Netherlands so very close to Northern Europe, should have some good technicians and pricing there
It doesn't really work like that. It's closer to something like "made in Texas but you bought it in Alaska or Canada".
Some companies fly their staff around like Swissq. But that just makes it even more crazy expensive.

victor bogdanov

It doesn't really work like that. It's closer to something like "made in Texas but you bought it in Alaska or Canada".
Some companies fly their staff around like Swissq. But that just makes it even more crazy expensive.
Well it's made in Europe but I have 10+ Colorado techs in my city in Texas (they also work on Canon copiers etc). Canon is a huge global company

FireSprint.com

Trade Only Screen & Digital Sign Printing
Quick update. We stopped messing around. I had a meeting with everyone that even looks at the printer. We all agreed to follow every single one of the procedures canon recommends and only use their factory profiles. To a T. No exepctions. No running a profile for a vinyl that’s has the same tech specs, everything exactly as canon says.

Happy to say we’ve had the best 30 day run on it to date. Have not lost a nozzle.

I can’t point at exactly what we were doing wrong, but it was something.

We run a million dollars worth of digital equipment, but the Colorado is the most picky by far.

All that said we’re going to get another one. It’s a good machine. Just don’t mess around with it. :)

anyone have feedback on their experience with this printer?
Trying to justify the cost of it being 3x our latex machines. Besides ink and speed is it worth it?
Take your Colorado and if you are printing around 1000 sq.m. per month, the cost of ink will be the same as that of latex. This is UV printing. The ink layer on the media is so thin. There is no absorption in the material here.
From a purely technical point of view, the two printers are unmatched in Colorado's favor. You can calculate in your price one head for a year and a half. This does not mean that you will have to change heads every year and half. Follow the manufacturer's recommendations and you should have no problems with this.
The inks are really very good. Just don't turn off the machine. You should also get two types of cleaning fluids with the machine. Don't ignore them. D cleaner is amazing. Expensive but really good.
I think you won't go wrong. It is no coincidence that it is more expensive than latex. If you have latex next to this printer, you will see the differences yourself.
If the price of latex attracts you more, then just buy latex. Colorado is the next level printer.

CanuckSigns

I can't say I blame the printer manufacturers for locking out the service mode. It would be like selling someone a very complicated sign, and them insisting they will install it themselves, sure they might know what they're doing, but guaranteed you are going to get a call from the guy who doesn't know which end of the hammer to use, blaming you because his sign fell down and insisting you fix it for him by tomorrow.

Behrmon

Pr. Bear-Mon
Doing my research on the 1650 and wishing I was finding a lot more encouraging information on using the 1650 for SAV for wraps. The lions share of our work is vehicle graphics/wraps bit also do a good bit of decal and banner work, we wrap a lot of Promaster/Transit vans so deep recesses are very common for use. Currently running 3 570s / 1 R1000 and 1 R2000. We try to keep the wraps to the 570s as the Rs are busy w flat stock. We use mostly 3M480/180 for the wraps and a ton of IJ35 for decal work and UltraFlex banner for well banners! ;)

Looking to leave the HPs due to color shift getting old. As much as I want to say the 1650 is the machine for us I currently cannot due to getting more negative than positive responses on my inquiries to users on wrapping with the 1650s UVGel. I'm comparing this to the Epson Resin for our needs, EcoSol not an option for our shop (was previously a EcoSol Shop).

Would love to here so more input on the 1650 for wraps or other drawbacks any have encountered in the SAV world that do a bit of wraps and decal work, feel free to DM as well.

Thanks.

FireSprint.com

We don’t have an Epson resin printer, but the primary reason was because of color gamut. Reds looked washed out at any reasonable speed. Have you noticed the same thing?

Last edited:

victor bogdanov

Doing my research on the 1650 and wishing I was finding a lot more encouraging information on using the 1650 for SAV for wraps. The lions share of our work is vehicle graphics/wraps bit also do a good bit of decal and banner work, we wrap a lot of Promaster/Transit vans so deep recesses are very common for use. Currently running 3 570s / 1 R1000 and 1 R2000. We try to keep the wraps to the 570s as the Rs are busy w flat stock. We use mostly 3M480/180 for the wraps and a ton of IJ35 for decal work and UltraFlex banner for well banners! ;)

Looking to leave the HPs due to color shift getting old. As much as I want to say the 1650 is the machine for us I currently cannot due to getting more negative than positive responses on my inquiries to users on wrapping with the 1650s UVGel. I'm comparing this to the Epson Resin for our needs, EcoSol not an option for our shop (was previously a EcoSol Shop).

Would love to here so more input on the 1650 for wraps or other drawbacks any have encountered in the SAV world that do a bit of wraps and decal work, feel free to DM as well.

Thanks.
ask canon to print you a roll and try wrapping with it, sales guy should be able to arrange that

I don't wrap but do lots of smaller decals for cars, no issues with that printed on the Colorado

as far as banners I recently printed a 5ft x 50ft banner in under 50 minutes

Christian @ 2CT Media

Thanks.
We are selling our HP 800W because after significant testing the 1650 is superior with only minor adjustments for install. We have found that building custom profiles have significantly improved our ability to wrap with it by reducing the ink load and building accurate color.

There is still a point where the ink breaks but there are ways to work with it.

I would strongly recommend getting some test prints done to test, as you can't beat the speed and quality vs latex. Also after profiling, the gamut is now significaly larger than the HP and near the sure color.

Behrmon

Pr. Bear-Mon
We don’t have an Epson resin printer, but the primary reason was because of color gamut. Reds looked washed out at any reasonable speed. Have you noticed the same thing?
We haven't seen output from the Epson Rs yet but plan to submit some files including a few Reds.
I just hear you simply can't stretch the ink enough to properly work it for wraps.
Thant's the general consensus I've gotten vs only a few positives.
ask canon to print you a roll and try wrapping with it, sales guy should be able to arrange that

I don't wrap but do lots of smaller decals for cars, no issues with that printed on the Colorado

as far as banners I recently printed a 5ft x 50ft banner in under 50 minutes
That's the plan! I would think that Cannon would have a lot of decent sized samples available with the most common wrap film/lam combos ready to fire off at would be clients?
We are selling our HP 800W because after significant testing the 1650 is superior with only minor adjustments for install. We have found that building custom profiles have significantly improved our ability to wrap with it by reducing the ink load and building accurate color.

There is still a point where the ink breaks but there are ways to work with it.

I would strongly recommend getting some test prints done to test, as you can't beat the speed and quality vs latex. Also after profiling, the gamut is now significaly larger than the HP and near the sure color.
Will do, I do wish the 700/800 did not present all the issues they currently have as we've lived in the 570 world for some time and know them well. At least then they could be on our list of contenders.

Christian @ 2CT Media

I'm waiting for my team to send me the full wrap images we have done recently but these are all 1650 Wraps

Attachments

• 20230116_081424.jpg
    20230116_081424.jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 215
  • 20230116_081445.jpg
    20230116_081445.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 205
  • 20230116_081432.jpg
    20230116_081432.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 181
  • 20230112_144334.jpg
    20230112_144334.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 161
  • 20230112_144146.jpg
    20230112_144146.jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 183

Christian @ 2CT Media

Here is one of the Full Wraps

Attachments

• IMG_20230126_160341494_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20230126_160341494_HDR.jpg
    1,012.3 KB · Views: 164
  • IMG_20230126_160326474_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20230126_160326474_HDR.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 171
  • IMG_20230126_160347745_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20230126_160347745_HDR.jpg
    882.3 KB · Views: 192
  • IMG_20230126_160353884_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20230126_160353884_HDR.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 157
  • IMG_20230126_160410180_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20230126_160410180_HDR.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 199

Christian @ 2CT Media

Thx for posting these, have you guys done much with deep recesses? Seems much of what I'm seeing is "non-complex" curves, any known issues for you guys with laminating this ink set? Thx again!
Because we do primarily commercial vehicles we do things differently to prevent failures down the line. The issue you will run into with the 1650 is if you do narrow point stretching, but if you stretch over a broader area then shrink back, it works significantly more consistently without ink breaking.

White Haus

Not a Newbie
Because we do primarily commercial vehicles we do things differently to prevent failures down the line. The issue you will run into with the 1650 is if you do narrow point stretching, but if you stretch over a broader area then shrink back, it works significantly more consistently without ink breaking.

Those wraps look great. Curious what you mean by doing things differently to prevent failures? Do you cut and drop the recesses? I've always struggled with how do address things like that on commercial vehicles - that's all we do and we know our clients want their graphics to look good but sometimes there are things (like leaving recesses blank) that can help eliminate failures. I'm assuming you have a system/script to go over things like this with your clients?

It's really cool to see what you guys have been achieving with Colorado prints - definitely on my short list of printers to buy after we pay off our current equipment.

Christian @ 2CT Media

Those wraps look great. Curious what you mean by doing things differently to prevent failures? Do you cut and drop the recesses? I've always struggled with how do address things like that on commercial vehicles - that's all we do and we know our clients want their graphics to look good but sometimes there are things (like leaving recesses blank) that can help eliminate failures. I'm assuming you have a system/script to go over things like this with your clients?

It's really cool to see what you guys have been achieving with Colorado prints - definitely on my short list of printers to buy after we pay off our current equipment.
So because we are primarily focused on vehicle graphics for Commercial use, we spend a lot of time explaining the ROI and return-generating aspects of the wraps/graphics. During this conversation, we explain what affects and what does not affect the return; we also evaluate if the exposed channels/recesses would hurt their message, logo, or image. Then we decide to either Cut and Drop or inlay. We prefer not to redo projects for avoidable reasons, so a paint-like finish in certain aspects is not our top priority or the clients when it's all said and done.

We ultimately ask three questions to ourselves and the client:
1.) Will this reduce your exposure / prevent sales?
2.) Will this alter your brand impression?
3.) Will this change your client experience?

If the answers are NO, we avoid doing the riskier work and stick with tried and true methods.

ikarasu

https://photos.app.goo.gl/fEJhzmyQQTp79aXp9 these were all printed at 9 pass - Some a bright red...some a deeper / darker red. I havent had any issues with reds on the resin, my guess is you're trying to print 6 pass / lower? I found 6 pass to be a bit washed out - I've been meaning to play with it and create my own profile to see if I can get it better... just havent had the time, and it being a home / play with new technology printer, I havent been too concerned about speed - 9 pass isnt that bad! It's no 1650, but it keeps up with our 700W printer (almost... )

FireSprint.com

Yeah. It likely was a slightly faster mode.

We see that with just about every printer.

We can’t modify reds so the printer and the rip have to print bright reds regardless of the input. Those bright reds are the first color to drop out when the speed is upped on just about every printer I’ve ever seen.

a77

For the best colour, custom profile is ne
Yeah. It likely was a slightly faster mode.

We see that with just about every printer.

We can’t modify reds so the printer and the rip have to print bright reds regardless of the input. Those bright reds are the first color to drop out when the speed is upped on just about every printer I’ve ever seen.
But if you want to evaluate the potential of any printer, you have to spend the 20-40 minutes to build a custom profile.