• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Canon Colorado 1650 FEEDBACK

Anybody try printing braille/tactile on this. We have samples from them but want to know if it actually is worth the time.

Pauly

Printrade.com.au
Anybody try printing braille/tactile on this. We have samples from them but want to know if it actually is worth the time.

It's not designed for it. Buy a flatbed to do that.
You can't print braille or tactile on the Colorado... Well let me rephrase, you can't do it without crazy amounts of alignment issues
I wonder if you can print at the matte backlit mode, and crank the ink. how raised it would be.

MarkSnelling

Mark Snelling - Hasco Graphics
Doing my research on the 1650 and wishing I was finding a lot more encouraging information on using the 1650 for SAV for wraps. The lions share of our work is vehicle graphics/wraps bit also do a good bit of decal and banner work, we wrap a lot of Promaster/Transit vans so deep recesses are very common for use. Currently running 3 570s / 1 R1000 and 1 R2000. We try to keep the wraps to the 570s as the Rs are busy w flat stock. We use mostly 3M480/180 for the wraps and a ton of IJ35 for decal work and UltraFlex banner for well banners! ;)

Looking to leave the HPs due to color shift getting old. As much as I want to say the 1650 is the machine for us I currently cannot due to getting more negative than positive responses on my inquiries to users on wrapping with the 1650s UVGel. I'm comparing this to the Epson Resin for our needs, EcoSol not an option for our shop (was previously a EcoSol Shop).

Would love to here so more input on the 1650 for wraps or other drawbacks any have encountered in the SAV world that do a bit of wraps and decal work, feel free to DM as well.

Thanks.
I've got several 1650 customers who wrap vehicles all the time. It works quite well. I've even got customers who do cheap vehicle graphics WITHOUT laminate....the inks don't scratch....

Christian @ 2CT Media

It's not designed for it. Buy a flatbed to do that.

I wonder if you can print at the matte backlit mode, and crank the ink. how raised it would be.
I don't think it will raise to the 1mm required height for ADA, but you could definitely do some textured printing with the Colorado in Backlit Density mode.

Pauly

Printrade.com.au
I don't think it will raise to the 1mm required height for ADA, but you could definitely do some textured printing with the Colorado in Backlit Density mode.
You can set the head height in onyx in the media profile. I know there's a setting where it will always print with the head the highest for stock that doesn't sit flat.

Christian @ 2CT Media

You can set the head height in onyx in the media profile. I know there's a setting where it will always print with the head the highest for stock that doesn't sit flat.
Oh I didn't mean the head height, I was more meaning the ink itself, without multiple layers wouldn't get to the height required to be legal

Shred_signs

Lost Member
Oh gotcha. i doubt it too.
it's the wrong machine.

Better off with a flatbed.
Does a flatbed actually create a high enough profile? It's been about 5.5 years since I was seriously involved with an operation that sold braille options.

We would use photopolymer and paint to reach the required height, or we would engrave and hand set the beads.

Pauly

Printrade.com.au
Does a flatbed actually create a high enough profile? It's been about 5.5 years since I was seriously involved with an operation that sold braille options.

We would use photopolymer and paint to reach the required height, or we would engrave and hand set the beads.
Yep. Because you can print in layers and you can print the same job over and over in the same spot to built up the ink.

You see this with more Chinese printers and smaller ones. Although all of them can do it if set up properly.

Shred_signs

Lost Member
Yep. Because you can print in layers and you can print the same job over and over in the same spot to built up the ink.

You see this with more Chinese printers and smaller ones. Although all of them can do it if set up properly.
Logically makes sense. I have done double strikes before on our flatbeds, but didn't have to push them to qualify for ADA.
We were double striking on a clear for more pop.

Does it not alter colors or is that part of the "setup properly"?

Pauly

Printrade.com.au
Logically makes sense. I have done double strikes before on our flatbeds, but didn't have to push them to qualify for ADA.
We were double striking on a clear for more pop.

Does it not alter colors or is that part of the "setup properly"?
if you have an image, you'd print it first. then print your braille ontop of it. you're not reprinting the image

Shred_signs

Lost Member
Well you are only concerned with the Tactile/Braille so you omit the other parts to prevent image issues.

if you have an image, you'd print it first. then print your braille ontop of it. you're not reprinting the image

Makes sense.

I worked at a shop in Denver, we used to do fun projects like this.
It's been a few years (7 now that i do the math :eek:) since I have been at weaker shops doing basic banner, vinyl, and high qty locating plaques, IE storage units, campsites, etc.
There was a lot of outside the box in that place, everywhere i have been since then has been very inside the box. "this is what we do and we take nothing we don't know how to do."
BORING!

I miss that shop, we got into some interesting work up there.

victor bogdanov

, everywhere i have been since then has been very inside the box. "this is what we do and we take nothing we don't know how to do."
BORING!
I've learned that "outside the box" stuff is good for learning/experimenting but not great for making money and usually loses money. Bread and butter work is what makes money.

Good to experiment sometimes though as it can help discover new revenue opportunities

Shred_signs

Lost Member
I've learned that "outside the box" stuff is good for learning/experimenting but not great for making money and usually loses money. Bread and butter work is what makes money.

Good to experiment sometimes though as it can help discover new revenue opportunities

I have an anecdotal story about this, but the TL;DR is:
Our business neighbors, asked if we could print and make boxes for them in exchange for the use of one their forklifts.
Boss said, no, bought his own, and we use it 10-12 times a year.
He didn't WANT to buy the creasing wheel for our router...

Maybe his math was better than mine but a 1:1 trade spending $5K on a creasing wheel sounds better than spending $25K on a machine that will sit for 29/30 days a month.
That's when i decided it was time to go. I have more fun stories about this place too!

victor bogdanov

I have an anecdotal story about this, but the TL;DR is:
Our business neighbors, asked if we could print and make boxes for them in exchange for the use of one their forklifts.
Boss said, no, bought his own, and we use it 10-12 times a year.
He didn't WANT to buy the creasing wheel for our router...

Maybe his math was better than mine but a 1:1 trade spending $5K on a creasing wheel sounds better than spending $25K on a machine that will sit for 29/30 days a month.
That's when i decided it was time to go. I have more fun stories about this place too!
Guess it depends on how many boxes they wanted. That forklift will hold it's value very well

Shred_signs

Lost Member
Guess it depends on how many boxes they wanted. That forklift will hold it's value very well
on going supply.

Not my business and I get that, but I feel like we could have made money off that transaction.
When he went to buy the machine, he’s didn’t measure a damn thing and the lift was 9” too long for our shop. I then spent the next 6 months trying to rearranging the shop to allow us to use the lift.

He took a part time employee that only worked with us when we were slammed, not me, his production manager.
Not even a discussion with me. I came to his shop from a place that ran 8 FLs.
Make that part make sense.

lol. Like I said stacks of stories.

AndytheAussie

Hey good people, Last year I completed an analysis and recommendation assignment for a long-established safety & braille sign shop. After tests, conclusion was flatbed UV was only way to go. One in particular (no bias at all) the Mutoh XPJ661UH delivers great ADA braille in multi passes, clear or in colour. Only drawback is max bed size 483mm x 594mm, kinda B2. It's slow due to multi-passes but faster and better than indentations and beads. Mimaki JVs in multi-pass mode work well too. Colorado/UV Gel is a great system but for braille?