• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Can't Delete any EPS Files . . . HELP ! ! !

Replicator

Has anyone ever experienced this problem ?

can't delete any EPS files on Windows XP . . . Problem just started today.

Nothing has changed in the computer configuration.

:help:Help!

Replicator

Being used by another person or program !

Believe me . . . that is not the case, and a reboot didn't fix it !

Columbia Signs

Might be worth a try.......

If it's on a network, take it off. I've had that happen when another program had the file listed in it's memory even know the program wasn't even open. Also, the program that is stopping it from being deleted might be opening on the restart..... try powering up in safe mode or with all the start up stuff turned off.

Ken

That's kinda what I suspected..being used by another program. You may have "saved", then "saved as" in a different folder. It's still the same file, just in another place/program and therfore considered being "used".
Do a search for one or all the eps files and see how many instances of each are on the system.
Hope this helps...Ken

cdiesel

Out of curiosity, were the files recently used? Is it saying that to all of them, or just a couple?

iSign

I've had that issue often, mostly with .ai files though & almost entirely when the files were on the desktop.

The "safe mode" suggestion took care of it everytime except once.

(believe me... you don't want to know about that "once")

cdiesel

Upon recommendation by my IT guy, I don't keep files on the desktop anymore. He said something about it loading everything on the desktop into memory and the My Documents area being a frequent target for viruses and other weird issues (that's where the desktop stuff is stored).

We just created a directory on the hard drive and put a shortcut to it on the desktop.

weaselboogie

That has happened to me a lot. I downloaded a program (can't remember what it was) that was like a patch. You can right click on the file and select 'release' or something like that and then delete it.

Replicator

I'll try safe mode later and try to find wboogies program also . . .

It's on Ellen's computer, so I'll check it out later when she has nothin' going on !

Replicator

Problem fixed !

For some reason explorer had a hold of these files, WHY . . . Who the HELL knows !

Fix . . . A tiny freeware program called UnLocker 1.8.5 . . . adds features to your right click context menu.

Thanks for the suggestion WBoogie . . . !

ScottyDoo

That program is a life saver...came across this thread and was going to suggest. Good thingI finished reading the entire thread first eh.

Columbia Signs

Cool!

Were did you find it? Link?

Problem fixed !

For some reason explorer had a hold of these files, WHY . . . Who the HELL knows !

Fix . . . A tiny freeware program called UnLocker 1.8.5 . . . adds features to your right click context menu.

Thanks for the suggestion WBoogie . . . !

TheMattMan

another program is called MoveOnBoot and you can right click and delete files on next reboot. Just about all of my .eps files need this.

ChicagoGraphics

I used to get that all the time, My tech fixed it. Now when I delete anything it bypasses the recycle bin and deletes it right away.