• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Canvas for scroll signs, and best material(s) for door hangers?

Alamo

Can anyone suggest a roll canvas for making scroll signs? It seems there’s different types of canvas and I’m not sure what I need. I want to be able to cut it, and not need hemmed. Here’s an example of what I’m looking to do Canvas scroll sign

Also I see a lot of people making door hangers out of 1/4” birch plywood. Coming from a woodworking background, I cringe at the thought of using non exterior grade products or even plywood for this. I’ve seen an exterior grade 1/2” mdf that would be ok I think for the back, but what else to use for the lettering/design part? I have 1/4” poplar but it’s only 5.5” wide. Thanks in advance for any suggestions! Will attach a pic of what I’m talking about. I have a big laser cutter and flatbed cutter so they skys the limit on what I can use, just need help finding the best suitable materials!
88EC2CEF-2D89-4232-B645-35E198F43BCF.jpeg

CanuckSigns

Look at the prices of those door hanger signs, is this something you actually want to compete with? The people who buy these things don't want to spend any more money on these things to get a longer lasting higher quality sign, they just want something they can hang on their door so they can post a picture of it on Instagram.

The vast majority of people making these are "maker moms" and almost all of the ones I know of are stay at home moms who don't need to turn a profit, so they spend $40 in materials, and think if they sell the finished product for $50 they "made" money.

If you have a laser and digital cutter (as we do as well) there are far more profitable work you can be doing than this.

Alamo

Look at the prices of those door hanger signs, is this something you actually want to compete with? The people who buy these things don't want to spend any more money on these things to get a longer lasting higher quality sign, they just want something they can hang on their door so they can post a picture of it on Instagram.

The vast majority of people making these are "maker moms" and almost all of the ones I know of are stay at home moms who don't need to turn a profit, so they spend $40 in materials, and think if they sell the finished product for $50 they "made" money.

If you have a laser and digital cutter (as we do as well) there are far more profitable work you can be doing than this.

"The people who buy these things", "maker moms"... You pretty much just insulted our target market and also any mom who is a maker. I came here for material advice, not business advice and if whether what I'm trying to sell is profitable. It doesn't always comes down to the dollar. While I won't share our net profit last year, I will share that I paid for my $100k+ flatbed cutter in cash, own all equipment, and I will make what I desire as long as it's profitable, not necessarily what is most profitable. If you don't have anything nice to say, don't say it at all? And I hope you really don't think it cost $40 in materials to make one of these things. Sincerely, a mom, who makes, owns a business, and does 50k other things

bowtievega

Premium Subscriber
There are quite a few digitally printable canvas materials available. You have some options between glossy, satin, or matte finish. I know our local sign supply companies (Montroy and Tubelite) both offer a house brand of canvas that is less expensive as well, especially if you are not trying to do long term fine art or anything. I haven't tried to use any canvas material with exposed edges so i'm not sure how they would look or if you would have problems getting clean edges. Are you guys set up for digital printing as well? Maybe look banner material for retractable banner stands? Printable and you can cut with a knife and get clean edges and shouldn't curl up.

As far as the materials for the door hangers, i think your suggestion for water proof MDF (Medex) is a good one. Exterior grade plywood is pretty expensive and i know we have a hard time getting really flat material. There is a product called 'Scooter Board' i believe that is basically medex with smooth white overlay for digital printing on the surface that would definitely make it easier to paint. You always have acrylic. Cuts super clean and paints nicely but is pretty expensive. PVC might be a good option but its not the most robust material. ACM material is inexpensive and exterior rated but not super stiff and also not very thick. Would work well if bonded completely to a backer but not very well if the are floating over other graphics.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Wow, just wow............ something like that upset you so much ?? Really struck a nerve, huh ?? However, when you come to this place, one needs to understand, not only do your questions or requests get answered or discussed, but many other things which play into the overall situation. What he said was dead balls on and I don't see why that would upset you or insult your customers. The truth might hurt, but the truth..... is afterall, the truth.

You post up silly pictures of house signs with their prices..... of course someone is gonna comment on that part of it. However, your idea of using MDF is even more silly. MDF is weaker than wood, can crack and split, quite easily when outside, takes on water even if it's painted with a good oil-based paint, (forget using latex on it, that's a big no-no) and most of all it's nothing more than sawdust and glues, but dangerous glues containing VOC, formaldehyde and will cause more harm to lungs and eyes, than any paints or inks ever will. That's what you wanna suggest to use in someone's home ?? C'mon man...... get off it and either play with us or just take it on the chin. We're all just trying to help. Your just too emotionally connected.

Some ideas...... do it on 6mm PVC and use the same for the lettering, then ya don't hfta worry about ANY rotting or delamination.

Where and what have you checked out so far that isn't working for your scroll signs ?? A scroll sign to me does not use canvas, so you might be using the wrong terminology. Have a picture of what you goal is on that one ??

rjssigns

Been in the business over thirty years and I'm confused. What the heck is a "scroll sign" and what do you mean by "canvas".

OP needs to get on the terminology train and use industry standard descriptors of products, tools and software.
I train my students to use the correct terminology as it eliminates confusion when describing a requirement or issue.

What I'm seeing in the OP's pics is CNC work. Foam core PVC like Gino said would work a treat.