• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Captain Ramius: Give me a ping, Vasili. One ping only, please

gabagoo

I have some time on my hands and thought i would let you all know of my episode early this morning.

It all started back at the beginning of May. A head cold that is, you know the usual 7 - 10 days of sniffling, sneezing followed by sore throat and achiness...the whole ten yards... Then I was left with a lingering cough that lasted close to 3 weeks and during the last week of the cough, I awoke one morning with what can only be described as a golf ball in my throat. That only lasted a couple of days and I was somewhat back to normal... Now this last Friday I awake and feel achy and just run down. I come to work and do my stuff but you kinda know when something just is not right and again I have been hit with yet another cold. This time it is a scratchy throat... you know the ones.... You cough uncontrollably like theres someone flapping a feather in your throat. I don't get sick to often so you can imagine my thoughts at being hit a 3rd time in less than 5 weeks
I am not convinced that I am sick and think more that maybe it is due to all the pollen in the air this year...yea that must be it.
By noon I can hardly talk and each time I answer the phone customers cant believe it is me. Sometimes I speak and nothing really comes out and I feel like I can hardly swallow.
Ok time to go see the doctor.... I can't deal with this and need drugs!!!

Go see him at 4 yesterday and he says after a small examination that I have post nasal drip. Ok I am not sure I can say that I dont, and he gives me a script for some meds.

So now I am at home coughing up fur balls or whatever this post nasal drip does to you and I am pretty comfortable just watching the idiot box (hockey actually and very disapointed with Vancouver BTW) and I relax until bedtime and then take some advil and hit the hay.
I am awoken several times by frantic choking and coughing and that little bastard ticlking my throat with a feather. I continually cough until the rawness of my throat is more of a concern to me and I will the coughing to stop.... I slowly doze off once again until the next wake up call of choking and coughing... How is it my wife never seems to hear any of this? I am to tired to get up and get a drink and lie there like a fool suffering... again it takes a while and eventually I fall back asleep.... now in what one can call a dream or whatever I am hearing a "Ping" in my dream and then slowly awaken to hear another "Ping". I lie there and my mind starts to gain control over my sleepiness...against my will I will mention. 20 seconds pass and another... "Ping". Damn!!!! I was so comfortable, throat not bothering me....in that good place of sleep that you really do not want to be disturbed from.... "Ping"
My cell phone is next to my bed so I know it is not mine. 20 seconds passes..."Ping" . I roll over and try to ignore it but I know it will ping again and now I lie in wait.... "Ping" it's 4:20am
Grrrrrrrrrrr OK Now I am up.... I will go downstairs find my wifes purse and turn the damn phone off.... "Ping"
Get up and weakly make my way to the top of the stairs and turn on the lights and down I go. Find the purse and open it, then "Ping" from behind me somewhere. I put the purse back and slowly make my way to the kitchen to see if maybe the microwave is beeping, or maybe the cat walked across the stove and inadvertantly hit the timer ( it has happened before). Nothing out of the oridinary in here..."Ping" That didn't come form the kitchen so now i go to the family room and wonder if it is the CO2 monitor. I know it can't be as it is harldy loud enough to warn anyone of anything, but I stand in front of it and wait for the sound. A moment passes quickly followed by another and then..."Ping". I am fully awake now and completely pissed and realize I have to pee so I make my way to the powder room and take a tinkle. Should I flush I think to myself? How will I hear the ping...more wasted time. While waiting for the tank to fill I stroll into the laundry room and stand there staring at the washing machine and wait...."Ping". Nope not in here. WTF!! where is this coming from. I make my way through the kitchen again and open the door to the dining room and again hear the "Ping" from behind me.
I open the door to the basement and wait, 20 seconds passes..."Ping". Not in the basement. I am ready to scream and the frustration of this is driving me crazy. What possible purpose can this pinging be if not to drive one crazy!!!. I go to the front door and look up the staircase to the top where we have the smoke detector and I stare at it and.."Ping"... aha it's the smoke detector...but how do i stop it? It's hard wired to the alarm system.... I climb the stairs and stand underneath them patiently waiting for them to mock me........ "Ping"... that came from behind me.. but where? I now wander into the spare bedroom and look around but can't see anything short of an iron that....... "Ping" AHA got you, you little %$% I see it now.... a cordless phone sitting on top of the TV. I grab it and see it says low battery. WHO &%%$ CARES!!! i think, just die ya %^%$% phone!!! Now I have to find the docking station it came from.... down I go into the kitchen...nope theres one there and this is a different brand so I know , it's from the laundry room....quickly go in and there is already a phone in there docked.... ugggg I know i wont fall asleep for at least 45 minutes if at all. I rip the back off the phone and pull the battery out with enough force that it will never work again... Good I think...as I toss the phone next to my wifes purse... In all the excitement my throat never once called attention to itself. I go back upstairs and see clearly that it is the phone from beside my bed... who the %$% took my phone and never put it back grrrrrr......
Ok now I go back to bed and I sit there mind racing and can only think of that scene from Red October where the two submarines are sending "Pings" back and forth to communicate.... I slowly start replaying the movie back in my mind until eventually i doze off once again. sheesh...what a night... maybe tonight I pop a couple of tylenol 3's. Anything Pings beeps or farts I won't hear a thing!!! :clapping:

Bradster941

If you EVER post something like this again, I will either;

1) Bann You
2) Put a 25 word limit on ANY post.

Arrrggggg.

Jillbeans

Sounds like a typical night at my place.
God, I miss Ambien.
:)
I actually enjoyed this story.
Love....Jill

gabagoo

If you EVER post something like this again, I will either;

1) Bann You
2) Put a 25 word limit on ANY post.

Arrrggggg.

yea I know it didnt look good when I posted it and being a little under the weather I tried rushing it out and couldn't figure out in my dilerium how to break it up. sorry Bradster.... get some visine

Custom_Grafx

I have some time on my hands and thought i would let you all know of my episode early this morning.

It all started back at the beginning of May. A head cold that is, you know the usual 7 - 10 days of sniffling, sneezing followed by sore throat and achiness...the whole ten yards... Then I was left with a lingering cough that lasted close to 3 weeks and during the last week of the cough, I awoke one morning with what can only be described as a golf ball in my throat.

That only lasted a couple of days and I was somewhat back to normal... Now this last Friday I awake and feel achy and just run down. I come to work and do my stuff but you kinda know when something just is not right and again I have been hit with yet another cold.

This time it is a scratchy throat... you know the ones.... You cough uncontrollably like theres someone flapping a feather in your throat. I don't get sick to often so you can imagine my thoughts at being hit a 3rd time in less than 5 weeks.

I am not convinced that I am sick and think more that maybe it is due to all the pollen in the air this year...yea that must be it.

By noon I can hardly talk and each time I answer the phone customers cant believe it is me. Sometimes I speak and nothing really comes out and I feel like I can hardly swallow. Ok time to go see the doctor.... I can't deal with this and need drugs!!!

Go see him at 4 yesterday and he says after a small examination that I have post nasal drip. Ok I am not sure I can say that I dont, and he gives me a script for some meds.

So now I am at home coughing up fur balls or whatever this post nasal drip does to you and I am pretty comfortable just watching the idiot box (hockey actually and very disapointed with Vancouver BTW) and I relax until bedtime and then take some advil and hit the hay.

I am awoken several times by frantic choking and coughing and that little bastard ticlking my throat with a feather. I continually cough until the rawness of my throat is more of a concern to me and I will the coughing to stop.... I slowly doze off once again until the next wake up call of choking and coughing... How is it my wife never seems to hear any of this?

I am to tired to get up and get a drink and lie there like a fool suffering... again it takes a while and eventually I fall back asleep.... now in what one can call a dream or whatever I am hearing a "Ping" in my dream and then slowly awaken to hear another "Ping".

I lie there and my mind starts to gain control over my sleepiness...against my will I will mention. 20 seconds pass and another... "Ping". Damn!!!! I was so comfortable, throat not bothering me....in that good place of sleep that you really do not want to be disturbed from.... "Ping"

My cell phone is next to my bed so I know it is not mine. 20 seconds passes..."Ping" . I roll over and try to ignore it but I know it will ping again and now I lie in wait.... "Ping" it's 4:20am!

Grrrrrrrrrrr OK Now I am up.... I will go downstairs find my wifes purse and turn the damn phone off.... "Ping"
Get up and weakly make my way to the top of the stairs and turn on the lights and down I go. Find the purse and open it, then "Ping" from behind me somewhere. I put the purse back and slowly make my way to the kitchen to see if maybe the microwave is beeping, or maybe the cat walked across the stove and inadvertantly hit the timer ( it has happened before). Nothing out of the oridinary in here..."Ping" That didn't come form the kitchen so now i go to the family room and wonder if it is the CO2 monitor. I know it can't be as it is harldy loud enough to warn anyone of anything, but I stand in front of it and wait for the sound.

A moment passes quickly followed by another and then..."Ping". I am fully awake now and completely pissed and realize I have to pee so I make my way to the powder room and take a tinkle. Should I flush I think to myself? How will I hear the ping...more wasted time. While waiting for the tank to fill I stroll into the laundry room and stand there staring at the washing machine and wait...."Ping". Nope not in here. WTF!! where is this coming from. I make my way through the kitchen again and open the door to the dining room and again hear the "Ping" from behind me.

I open the door to the basement and wait, 20 seconds passes..."Ping". Not in the basement. I am ready to scream and the frustration of this is driving me crazy. What possible purpose can this pinging be if not to drive one crazy!!!.

I go to the front door and look up the staircase to the top where we have the smoke detector and I stare at it and.."Ping"... aha it's the smoke detector...but how do i stop it? It's hard wired to the alarm system.... I climb the stairs and stand underneath them patiently waiting for them to mock me........ "Ping"... that came from behind me.. but where?

I now wander into the spare bedroom and look around but can't see anything short of an iron that....... "Ping" AHA got you, you little %$% I see it now.... a cordless phone sitting on top of the TV. I grab it and see it says low battery. WHO &%%$ CARES!!! i think, just die ya %^%$% phone!!!

Now I have to find the docking station it came from.... down I go into the kitchen...nope theres one there and this is a different brand so I know , it's from the laundry room....quickly go in and there is already a phone in there docked.... ugggg I know i wont fall asleep for at least 45 minutes if at all. I rip the back off the phone and pull the battery out with enough force that it will never work again... Good I think...as I toss the phone next to my wifes purse... In all the excitement my throat never once called attention to itself.

I go back upstairs and see clearly that it is the phone from beside my bed... who the %$% took my phone and never put it back grrrrrr......

Ok now I go back to bed and I sit there mind racing and can only think of that scene from Red October where the two submarines are sending "Pings" back and forth to communicate.... I slowly start replaying the movie back in my mind until eventually i doze off once again. sheesh...what a night... maybe tonight I pop a couple of tylenol 3's.

Anything Pings beeps or farts I won't hear a thing!!! :clapping:

mikey-Oh

My last residence had a hardwired alarm system, yet still required a 9v battery per alarm. Imagine my surprise when those things started Pining at three am.... a couple batteries from a few guitar pedals and I found a way to sleep the rest of the night.