• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Car Graphics and other question's ???

kustom.printing

Hi I am new to the great world of Vinyl printing; I have a couple of questions.

I have a business already in retail; I am looking at starting vinyl printing.

I do understand it takes years to learn, at the min I am trying to learn corel, adobe and illustrator and do some research on other software.

I would like to know if there are any programs or sites that sell vehicle normal + rally decals, also wrap designs and if there are any programs that specialize in this design or do you just incorporate the design into corel, adobe or illustrator ????

Also I do appreciate that many of you have worked in the industry before setting up yourself but what do the people do that start the business without prier knowledge. (Go bust :wink: lol)

Thank you for your time.

The Big Squeegee

Long Time Member
Welcome from OK

There is a lot of information on this site. A paid membership will get you more access to the information.

Illustrator is Adobe (AI).

It is going to be a costly learning process. The most expensive will be cutting corners. Your reputation is being built up on what you put out today.

Good Luck

S

signswork

i have been in the sign business for 15 years thats right 15 years at 27 years old i have been working on signs since JR High. I am still learning every day i learn something new watch and try trial and error good luck.

Software.

I like Flexi sign pro versions i use 7.6 but 8 is good. for veichle wraps I use Adobe photoshop with several plugins like eyecandy zenoeffect and more. you can spend several hundread to get what you need to do vehicle wraps. there is templates you can buy try www.auragraphicsinc.com

they have a good variety of graphics to go with again good luck.

Pat Whatley

Okay...I'll be this guy this time....

You don't know anything about the business
You don't know anything about what software to use
You don't know how to use the software once you buy it
You know nothing about digital printing, I assume that material choices and lamination are greek to you as well
You can't find one of the THOUSANDS of sites selling vehicle graphics
You already have a "retail" store

So....why.....just why, should people who have spent the last 10-50 years of their lives learning their craft through trial and error, suffered the pains of the learning curve, and gambled their personal finances on equipment just give away that hard earned knowlege to someone WHO HASN'T EVEN SPENT ENOUGH EFFORT TO HIT THE SEARCH BUTTON!?

Hey, I see from your profile you've already bought a printer....NICE! Well there you go...you're a genuine sign and graphics professional now!

Last edited by a moderator:

iSign

wow Pat... thanks for being the guy...
I think you outdid yourself... but, someone's gotta do it.

Hey n00b... see what you're getting yourself into? ...is this really what you signed on for? ...before you know it, with a few years of 15 hours days under your belt... no friends but other crotchety old sign guys on the internet...

...next thing you know, IT'LL BE YOUR TURN TO BE "THE GUY"

Pat Whatley

Hey, if the guy wants to start a sign/graphics business then more power to him. If he wants to ask questions all along the way then I'm fine with that. But to show up right off the bat asking broad questions that could have easily been answered with a search here, or on google, kind of offends me. I'd have ignored it if the questions were specific enough to show a little research that led to some confusion. Instead we got the long winded version of "HOW DO I MAKE SIGNS?"

Should I have just responded with this link?
http://www.signs101.com/forums/search.php

Jackpine

My thoughts exactly. I am tired of those that can't or won't do their own work. There is so much information that is free if one would just take the time to look. I will help anyone that helps themselves but I won't do their research. "Knowledge is power", go get some.
Okay...I'll be this guy this time....

You don't know anything about the business
You don't know anything about what software to use
You don't know how to use the software once you buy it
You know nothing about digital printing, I assume that material choices and lamination are greek to you as well
You can't find one of the THOUSANDS of sites selling vehicle graphics
You already have a "retail" store

So....why.....just why, should people who have spent the last 10-50 years of their lives learning their craft through trial and error, suffered the pains of the learning curve, and gambled their personal finances on equipment just give away that hard earned knowlege to someone WHO HASN'T EVEN SPENT ENOUGH EFFORT TO HIT THE SEARCH BUTTON!?

Hey, I see from your profile you've already bought a printer....NICE! Well there you go...you're a genuine sign and graphics professional now!

Last edited by a moderator:

Craig Sjoquist

started by doing my own store ..... then a few others ... then went to school for sign painting .... then worked the field and for others in the field .... reads many a books and magazines, forums, internet soforth...34 years

the question is do you like this so much you'll continue to do your best

Custom Bob

Right on the mark, Pat. I've lettering with a brush and a can of paint for over 35 years now. Then the computer world hit along with EBay and all these people are suddenly a sign shop. Most wouldn't have a clue how to letter, pinstripe or mural the old fashioned way. Even a couple that use to be customers have bought equipment and think there gonna get rich quick. I have several what I call "Vinyl Bandits" in my area that are constantly cutting my throat. But in time they all come and go with there No Talent, Cob and Slob workmanship. I've even had a couple call me and have the balls to ask me how to do something or where to buy a product. That takes Balls in my book. Don't get me wrong, I have no problem with a young guy starting out that has talent and is trying to learn the trade. But the ones that don't have a clue and think this is there lottery ticket to the Bigtime just piss me right off.

Thank You Pat! I got so tired of people sending me pm's for telling these people the same thing that I gave up...thank you for pointing out the obvious...apparently common sense is not so common.

Hmmmm I dont know jack about manufacturing paper but i think i'll go open a mill...wtf? makes absolutely NO earthly sense to me.

wes70

Hmmm!

Just paid some professional tradesmen to do some reno's to my house:

I helped the carpenter hold a couple 2x6's in place...I'm going to be a carpenter! Wait a minute...
I strung out some 14/2 wire for the electrician...I'm going to be an electrician! No No...
I did bring in some bags of drywall mix...I'm going to be a drywaller! Yeah, that's it...it looks so easy!

Thanks Pat for being "that guy" and speaking on my (& others) behalf!

kustomkoncepts

Man I love these posts with yet another Newbie Bumbie A$$ thinking that we can answer his XTREMELY BROAD question in a two paragraphs answer.

You answered you own question shuanp505050 Your don't know a Fukin thing about this industry never worked at a sign or design firm, don't know the programs or what is needed to drive your equipment. Get a dam job at a sign shop and get paid to learn from them. Do internet searches, Find a local sign supplier.

All people like you that think they can have ABSOLUTLY no clue about this industry that think they can just start it with no prior knowlege or experience or natural talent GOOD F'in LUCK.

I supose because you have a retail store and Retail is all going bankrupt or you think you will save money by doing your own signs Go for it.

you can look into starting a Carpet cleaning business too because retail stores need carpets cleaned then offer window cleaning at the same time.

Welcome to the New sign industry. Good luck you gona need it.

David Showalter

Welcome to this site. As you can already tell by some of the responses you've gotten there are a few smart a---s on here...but most will help you in any way they can.
I've been in the sign business for 32 years and I'm still learning everyday. Like someone else said...practice...practice...practice! Go to Letterhead meets in your area and to other states as well. You'll meet some really talented people that will share a wealth of info with you. Good luck from NW Ohio! David

TheProfessor

I would assume that as the owner of your shop, anyone you hire will be looking to you for the knowledge and final say on anything done. If you want to do this right, then you need to start taking classes in design at your local community college. This is the only way I can see you will learn enough to design on your own. Toutorials are nice, but I find "in person" instruction and a structured program progression from easy to more complicated works better for the complete no0b.

as for the tech/machine parts of the business... that's a whole nother ball of wax/po0p. Assuming you are at all technically inclined, you might be ok. But if you have no idea how to connect anything, you will need a tech support person who also has that ability.

You are also going to need a billion computers. Well, thats a small hyperbole, but you will need one for you, one for the front desk ordering, one for each of your designers, one puter (in some cases) for each printer and plotter you have in your store... some of the machines can run more than one printer/plotter on the same puter, but its slower IMHO if you have your rip software eating up RAM from your designers computer...

you need to tackle all of that before you go anywhere near vehicle wraps. There are several video librarys that sell how to vinyl sets. But in most cases it pays to learn from a master and unless you work for someone else, I dont really see someone teaching you a skill so you can take their customers for (at least at the moment) sub-par work...

unless you can steal some experienced people away from another sign company with the promise of awesome wages, hour lunches and lap dance friday... you have a long road ahead of you ;) but best of luck