• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Need Help Car Wraps, Design to Print to Installation

Hello all, and thank you in advance for all the suggestions.

I have been studying car wraps, and am quite comfortable on how to design the wraps. I am running into problems moving on to the next stage - printing from my design files.
I have a Roland VG-540, and usually convert my files to pdf format from illustrator before printing my vinyl. Is it the same process in going from my car design to print file? Or do I have to change something?

Thanks again!

AKwrapguy

Hello all, and thank you in advance for all the suggestions.

I have been studying car wraps, and am quite comfortable on how to design the wraps. I am running into problems moving on to the next stage - printing from my design files.
I have a Roland VG-540, and usually convert my files to pdf format from illustrator before printing my vinyl. Is it the same process in going from my car design to print file? Or do I have to change something?

Thanks again!

So with Roland your you using Versaworks? It's been a minute since I used it but PDF's should be fine. What trouble are you having? Is the rip not opening the file correctly? Are you unsure how to seem the wrap? Is it just a crisis of confidence?

Here is what I would do. Design a wrap for you vehicle, print it, laminate it, install it. Take a few mental notes when your doing each of these to see how it will be easier for you next time. I've done many many wraps, each time I do I always second guess myself and wonder if it'll work. Sometimes you just have to man the fuck up and print the thing.

Thomas Edison once gave an interview about inventing the light bulb and the reporter asked about about feeling like a failure after so many attempts. He responded with "I didn't fail, I just found 10,000 ways that it wouldn't work"

No one showed me how to do anything, it has all been a lot of trial and error, a lot of trial and error. My first wrap wasn't laminated, I used the wrong material, I had no idea. But I learned, and I listened, and I watched videos. Than I tried again.

The biggest thing that I can suggest for you is that if you're going to come here for help be specific and if you need to include photos.

So with Roland your you using Versaworks? It's been a minute since I used it but PDF's should be fine. What trouble are you having? Is the rip not opening the file correctly? Are you unsure how to seem the wrap? Is it just a crisis of confidence?
The biggest thing that I can suggest for you is that if you're going to come here for help be specific and if you need to include photos.

I am actually just unsure of how to create the printing files off the design files. Is there a different way of making the file? I am interested in learning the details of taking that design file and forming into something that I can print (not just file format wise)

AKwrapguy

I am actually just unsure of how to create the printing files off the design files. Is there a different way of making the file? I am interested in learning the details of taking that design file and forming into something that I can print (not just file format wise)

That all depends on how you made the design file and what ever your trying to wrap. This is the part where you need to include more information.

How did you make the file in Illustrator? Are you using a vehicle template from an online source or did you create one yourself? Are you using clipping mask? Are all the elements vectored or are some raster? Did you design at scale or full size?

There is no easy answer to you your question because you haven't given us any info to go off of.

Generally, when you design you should design with printing in mind. So that your 'design' file is basically your print file.

If you interested in learning the details than you need to be more detailed and specific in what your doing, what you need the outcome to be, and how your doing it. You have to realize that there are a million different ways to do this with between different software, machines, materials, etc., and the more info you give us the more we can help you.

Sorry but there usually aren't any easy answers as this is not an easy business.

heyskull

I find you have to have two files running.
One for the customer as a visual.
Then one for yourself with overlaps and sheet sizes built into it.
Your file will look a mess and I personally will work with just an outline of the vehicle placed over the top of the print to check where everything will lay and check where handles and fittings are.
If you are been given a file to work of from a designer, which is probably the worst thing in the world to be given as he will not take any care to how it is applied and only wants it to look good for the customer!
Also you will need all of the original files as unlike the designer you will not be working with a flat 2D image you are working in real life 3D and will have to allow for curves and handles to grip when applying.
Also when designing a wrap a lot of effort has to be put into the design to allow for material size and these curves, especially take care to avoid clash of pattern at the 4 corners of the vehicle. As this will cause the wrap to look as if stops abruptly.

SC

That all depends on how you made the design file and what ever your trying to wrap. This is the part where you need to include more information.

How did you make the file in Illustrator? Are you using a vehicle template from an online source or did you create one yourself? Are you using clipping mask? Are all the elements vectored or are some raster? Did you design at scale or full size?

There is no easy answer to you your question because you haven't given us any info to go off of.

Generally, when you design you should design with printing in mind. So that your 'design' file is basically your print file.

If you interested in learning the details than you need to be more detailed and specific in what your doing, what you need the outcome to be, and how your doing it. You have to realize that there are a million different ways to do this with between different software, machines, materials, etc., and the more info you give us the more we can help you.

Sorry but there usually aren't any easy answers as this is not an easy business.

Thank you! I know there are no easy answers, I'm not looking for any. It's just a huge puzzle that Im trying to piece together.

1) Used a vehicle template from online
2) yes, using a clipping mask
3) everything is vectored
4) everything is at 1/10th scale
5) I have a Roland VG-540 Printer
6) Will be using 3M IJ-180CV3 vinyl (54"width, 150ft length)

I understand you need more information, the problem is that I just don't know what information is needed. That is the entire purpose of this, learning the process! I appreciate your time and answers :)

papabud

Lone Wolf
ok so far looks good.
you designed in illustrator and then made a pdf. thats good

what software are you printing from?

and when you design it. dont run right to your edges, leave a few inches of extra over hang. contours will suck up extra vinyl. and the template maybe off a few inches from actual also. so dont cut yourself short. leave enough extra to work with

ok so far looks good.
you designed in illustrator and then made a pdf. thats good

what software are you printing from?

and when you design it. dont run right to your edges, leave a few inches of extra over hang. contours will suck up extra vinyl. and the template maybe off a few inches from actual also. so dont cut yourself short. leave enough extra to work with

Haven't quite moved on to making the pdf yet, Im unsure if I have to change anything from the design file to make it suitable for printing (in terms of size and scaling, etc). I use VersaWorks. How do I create extra on the edges without ruining the look of the design? I've made it a clipping mask, should I not?

rjssigns

PDF gets saved out as Press Quality. I design a complete side at 25% scale. Versaworks does a good job scaling. VW will "cut" the file into panels you can set the size. I set panel width at 48" and set overlap for 1"(installer requested) Set to Flip every other panel.
You'll have to dig into the menus on VW, but it isn't real complicated.

papabud

Lone Wolf
well you want to design it so it runs off the sides of the vehicle.
a smooth transition from sides to back or front.
you can design in any scale you wish, just make sure you enlarge it in your print software to be 100% size
you will want an over lap on your panels. i use 1" overlaps. this is where the panels seams together
then you just print your panels.
the install is a whole other mess that takes lots and lots of practice before you will be able to do it quickly and looking good.

AKwrapguy

Haven't quite moved on to making the pdf yet, Im unsure if I have to change anything from the design file to make it suitable for printing (in terms of size and scaling, etc). I use VersaWorks. How do I create extra on the edges without ruining the look of the design? I've made it a clipping mask, should I not?

Yes you should remove the clipping mask so that you are basically printing a rectangle not the shape of the vehicle. Remember that you are going from a 2D image to a 3D object. On most vehicle I try to give myself an extra 6-8 inches on every side. So when designing keep this in mind.

eahicks

Magna Cum Laude - School of Hard Knocks
Also, I see mentioned the method of tiling the prints in 48" width panels. Sometimes that isn't the best, especially for pickups and other vehicles, where you will want the entire door as one piece, the fender as one piece, the side of the bed in one piece, etc. So the actual printing files will need to be nested if broken in to these sections. But for vans and many larger cars, simply sending the entire side and paneling to 48", or whatever size you're comfortable with, will work.

papabud

Lone Wolf
yes sometimes a strategic panel placement is needed.
i use onyx which i can set each panel size to what i want it so they will drop right where i need a seam cut or natural break