• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Cartoonizing?

Pat Whatley

so your saying someone hand draws this just like the real truck? all the details and everything from a real photo?

Yes. Scan it in, trace it manually, make design decisions about what to include and what to leave out, apply gradient fills, and there you have it. To get one to look right is a hell of a lot harder than it sounds and takes a lot more patience than I've ever had.

Deaton Design

In the case of the samples you have posted, some people will scan photos into illustrator or corel, and using the drawing tools, draw right over the photo. Very painstaking work though, Then after all the lines are drawn, you have to add color and gradients and other details. Its an involved process.

vid

so your saying someone hand draws this just like the real truck? all the details and everything from a real photo?

...and if one has waaaaaaay too much time on one's hands... it's drawn to see what different options might look like.

The first image is the wireframe of the illustration so offer an idea of what is involved... Admittedly, this drawing is a smidge more than typical... approaching a ludicrous amount of lines...

Attachments

• BonemansWireframe.jpg
    BonemansWireframe.jpg
    70.1 KB · Views: 70
  • BonemansORIG.jpg
    BonemansORIG.jpg
    51.2 KB · Views: 83
  • BonemansGold.jpg
    BonemansGold.jpg
    57.5 KB · Views: 81
  • BonemansGoldStripes.jpg
    BonemansGoldStripes.jpg
    60.4 KB · Views: 76
  • BonemansGoldStripesTop.jpg
    BonemansGoldStripesTop.jpg
    62.5 KB · Views: 75
  • BonemansMaroonStripes.jpg
    BonemansMaroonStripes.jpg
    60.1 KB · Views: 77
  • BonemansBlueStripesTop.jpg
    BonemansBlueStripesTop.jpg
    62.9 KB · Views: 86
  • BonemansYellow.jpg
    BonemansYellow.jpg
    63.5 KB · Views: 80
  • BonemansWhiteOrangeStripe.jpg
    BonemansWhiteOrangeStripe.jpg
    63 KB · Views: 72
  • BonemansSlimGreen.jpg
    BonemansSlimGreen.jpg
    64.8 KB · Views: 71

WildWestDesigns

That's one I had done based of a tractor picture. Pretty much what everyone has been saying though, take a picture and go for it.

picture.php

signmeup

Yup. Takes time. You'd be looking at 4 to 5 hundred to have one like that done.

You can do some neat looking effects in Photoshop though. Try "Poster Edges" on a car photo. It can look pretty cool.

p3

Thanks! I saw i posted some incomplete ones. I have some other stuff, but thats how I got into vinyl. Worked at some shops doing t-shirts, then one shop doing t-shirts & graphics, then thought i could do it on my own. Pretty tough, i now work at a hobby shop doing ads and stuff and still try to do the vinyl, Really want to get it going since that is what i am more passionate about, rather than corporate kind of stuff. Plus the freedom is nice and the many different things you can work on.