• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Cartridge empty? I don't think so!

myronb

The Mimaki JV3 beeped and hollered that one of the cyan cartridges was empty. Changed it & kept on printing. A couple of days later I was straightening up & picked up the "empty" cartridge. It is at least half full! So. I pulled the other cartridge(the that I haven;t changed recently) which was showing 3 on the display & put the "empty" one in. The one that shows 3 is nowhere near as full as this one. I don't get it. I called tech support at Advantage Sign Supply & left a message. The tech called back & asked about my problem with a cyan cartridge. I am 90% sure that I didn't mention which cartridge it was! Whats going on? Is there a conspiracy that I haven't read about?

Anybody else had a problem like this?

Thanks,
Myron

Graphics2u

The tech called back & asked about my problem with a cyan cartridge. I am 90% sure that I didn't mention which cartridge it was! Whats going on? Is there a conspiracy that I haven't read about?

Anybody else had a problem like this?

Thanks,
Myron

Sorry I Can't help you, But i bet the tech said "huh? I've never heard of that before." :smile:

How does the Mimaki read ink levels? My Mutoh uses a plastictab on the cartridge that moves as the ink is used, and I could see how possibly that could be wrong. The mimaki may be different.

BobbyFosson

Rolands are the same and I have seen many occasion where the 440ml carts may not trigger the ink empty at all due to the bag of ink in the cart seperating from the side of the cartridge... Hopefully new versions of the printers (all manuf.'s) will go to an Integrated Chip system or possibly even a weight based system..

Graphics2u

Hopefully new versions of the printers (all manuf.'s) will go to an Integrated Chip system or possibly even a weight based system..

When I got my first printer 4 years ago I asked the tech how to check ink levels in my cartridges. He says "well you can't, it will just warn you when it's about to run out." I thought that was ridiculous! I bought an $10,000 Printer that can't tell me how much ink is roughly left in the cartridge, but my $129 desktop printer from K-Mart can!!!

I agree they need a better System!

iSign

Mimaki's will also stop allowing use of a cartridge that is out of date. Check the date on yours. It is programmed into the chip & you will usually get a notification that says "ink limit" (except on mine, the "t" didn't show for some reason) Once you get the limit warning, I think you get 30 days before it ceases to function regardless of how much ink is in it.

(The mimaki can tell you the ink levels in increments of 10. I forget how to access that info, but it can be done)

Gino

Premium Subscriber
The easiest and safest way is to take the cartridge out, shake it and put it back in. You’ll get a false reading on your board, but you’ll know how much by shaking it. Those readouts are usually off anyway.

They [the manufacturers] tell you not to do this, but when these vendors go from show to show, that’s exactly how they do it. So, if it works for them I figure it should work for us.

BobbyFosson

If you have the time, you could weigh an empty cart and new cart and record the numbers... then power off the machine and unplug. Remove carts and weigh again... should be able to get a ratio of what is left based off of these 3 numbers. Plug back in and power back on... Should not reset the machine or cart counter.

ChicagoGraphics

Myronb.........What rip software are you using. We use Onyx and can monitor the ink levels as they are being used. We never had any troubles with our Mimaki JV3 160sp inks before. Check to see in your rip software if there is a monitoring device.
Good luck

myronb

Quote" The tech called back & asked about my problem with a cyan cartridge. I am 90% sure that I didn't mention which cartridge it was! Whats going on? Is there a conspiracy that I haven't read about? "

OK, So much for the conspiracy theory--I just realized it was the black, not the cyan. So I must have told them on the message.

Anyway, As far as RIP, we are using Flexi 8. The cartridge has a little computer circuit board on the side that I assume has something to do with the Ink level meter. Their is also a little "tab" that moves in and out seemingly with the bag inside. I don't know, I guess I'll send it back and lett the techs figure it out!

Thanks!
Myron

BobbyFosson

I have also seen the cartridges bend or bow out that prohibits the tab from extending out far enough to trip the sensors... I am speaking of Roland machines... Have no experience with Mimaki and limited use on Mutoh's