• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Cash N Carry vs Install

Stacey K

I like making signs
I sent out a bid for 6 trucks, 1 trailer and 8 4x8 site signs for a company 30 minutes away with a quick general mock-up. Apparently the owners loved the mock-ups (they had someone design them a new logo and it's much sharper than the old one). She then asked me if they put the decals on themselves if I would come out and measure for them but not install them. I should add this and add that and resend the mock-ups. I didn't respond to that part but my overall response was...

"If you buy decals from me they are considered "cash n carry" and it's up to the customer to tell me total height and width of the decals and then I cut them. If I have to come out and measure, you will get charged for that time, it's included if I install them but not a cash and carry fee."

I'm a little frustrated because this isn't really the way it works...or am I wrong? I'm shocked they even have time to mess around with such a task...I DON'T HAVE TIME TO CUT MY GRASS, I HIRE MY RENTER!

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Sounds like someone is trying to itemize your prices. I had a company years ago, who would put all the own graphics on. They had an old pinstriping guy working for them and he did all the vinyl instals. Got to a point, we could do it cheaper and easier for them to drop a truck off and get it the next day, then to have ol' Dale put them on crocked half the time. I still do a lotta work with Dale as he moved into an even bigger and better company about 12 years ago...... and the other company is still buying from us after all these years.

To get around the cash & carry thing, I always tell people, it's not that expensive for us to put the graphics on..... and we do it right every time. Ya never hafta come back because Billy dropped it in the mud or a fly got stuck on it.

Stacey K

I like making signs
That's kind what I was thinking too. I like that response and that's how I will respond. It reminds me of the wasp that ruined my vinyl job this summer...LOL

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    203.1 KB · Views: 335

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Ouch, said the.........oh, I thought you caught some ol' white protestant guy in the tape.............. like Dale. :covereyes:

Reveal1

It's all in how you say it. I wouldn't use a term like 'cash n carry' as that kind of cheapens the whole transaction. Nor would I go into an explanation how I'm going to charge extra. With the benefit of armchair quarterbacking, may have been better to respond with something like; 'glad to do that for you, let me get a revised quote out to you and then let's schedule a time.' Maybe even add 'it might save some time and reprints later if we spend some time with your installer to help them learn the best way to do it, as it can be more difficult than it first appears and mistakes can create extra cost. They might even realize it's not worth the trouble doing it themselves. (We would charge our install rate for that ) Also for what it's worth, we charge design rate for any layout (in 15 minute increments) that takes more than five minutes. Not so much for the revenue, but to establish $ value to the service.

Robert Armerding

Listen Sharp
Per chance, for the "Do It Yourself" installer, does anyone have any written instructions, step by step how to apply the vinyl material to say something like a vehicle door? I have someone asking for that kind of text only written material. And, I have my own that I am working on, but would like to compare notes.

signage

yes.....
Purchase it once and have me install it. Or try yourself and purchase it multiple times, it's your choice.

Robert Armerding

Listen Sharp
yes.....
Purchase it once and have me install it. Or try yourself and purchase it multiple times, it's your choice.
signage Well, what if your client lives in a rural area, hundreds of miles from someone with the skills? And, you will be mailing the vinyl in a tube. Let me explain. My assignment from my client is to write out those detailed instructions. Not as easy as it sounds.

Reveal1

I have a couple of customers that have pretty capable workers that do a nice job installing. I WANT them to be capable of installing well and do what I can to help them. We've developed great relationships; if I suggest they let us handle this one, wouldn't get an argument. One is a trucking company and the other is a service company that constantly is changing out equipment. I do the big/skilled stuff (trailers, wraps etc) and they do the simple stuff like doors, DOT/VIN etc. There is a good side to that; I can focus on providing design and print so overall I can handle more volume that generates more profit% with the people I have.

Robert Armerding

Listen Sharp
I have a couple of customers that have pretty capable workers that do a nice job installing. I WANT them to be capable of installing well and do what I can to help them. We've developed great relationships; if I suggest they let us handle this one, wouldn't get an argument. One is a trucking company and the other is a service company that constantly is changing out equipment. I do the big/skilled stuff (trailers, wraps etc) and they do the simple stuff like doors, DOT/VIN etc. There is a good side to that; I can focus on providing design and print so overall I can handle more volume that generates more profit% with the people I have.
Reveal1 Let me focus on what you describe as the "doors, DOT?VIN." If your client/customer asked for written instructions on how to properly apply, do you per chance already have something written out? Thank you.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Robert..... you can google it or utube it just about anywhere. A frickin' monkey can do it. 40 years ago, one needed written instructions cause nobody knew what you were talking about. Anyone nowadays purchasing this stuff to DIY should already know how. Otherwise, they're just gonna hafta travel that 300 miles you talked about and bite the bullet. Maybe go see a movie at a Drive-In til it's finished. Ya just can't go there in your vehicle.

Boudica

Back to "educational purposes"
Robert, if you can't explain in writing how to install a decal on a door, then perhaps you should take your enlightenment projects to a different industry.

Robert Armerding

Listen Sharp
Robert, if you can't explain in writing how to install a decal on a door, then perhaps you should take your enlightenment projects to a different industry.
Let me clarify. I am writing the text only instructions. I am open to comparing different approaches.

Robert Armerding

Listen Sharp
Robert..... you can google it or utube it just about anywhere. A frickin' monkey can do it. 40 years ago, one needed written instructions cause nobody knew what you were talking about. Anyone nowadays purchasing this stuff to DIY should already know how. Otherwise, they're just gonna hafta travel that 300 miles you talked about and bite the bullet. Maybe go see a movie at a Drive-In til it's finished. Ya just can't go there in your vehicle.
Gino My client is asking for detailed written text only instructions. I have completed most of the project and am open to considering other tactics. Yes, Google and YouTube are great resources. In the few places where I found written instructions, too much was assumed and left out.
To be sure, what I am working on is a situation where a qualified skilled installer is not in practical driving distance.

eahicks

Magna Cum Laude - School of Hard Knocks
Per chance, for the "Do It Yourself" installer, does anyone have any written instructions, step by step how to apply the vinyl material to say something like a vehicle door? I have someone asking for that kind of text only written material. And, I have my own that I am working on, but would like to compare notes.
We tell them to YouTube it. We aren't in the business of training our customers to do our jobs.

Billct2

I sell ready to install lettering, have a group of truck guys that buy them all the time, mostly just about 12"x24". They give me the measurements, I give them a proof. They get a cheap squeege and some instructions I copied somehere years ago.

Robert Armerding

Listen Sharp
signage Thank you. My client is asking for detailed written instructions. Written for someone who has never installed anything like a vinyl decal. The instructions are to include surface preparation. I am well into the project. Just wondering and open to what others may have written. The videos are wonderful. I just have to put it in writing for the complete novice.

Robert Armerding

Listen Sharp
I sell ready to install lettering, have a group of truck guys that buy them all the time, mostly just about 12"x24". They give me the measurements, I give them a proof. They get a cheap squeege and some instructions I copied somehere years ago.
Billct2 I have almost completed my written instructions, but would welcome the chance to compare notes. Could you maybe send me a copy of the instructions that you send?