• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Cast Your Vote - Dreem Time Contest

Dreem Time Design Contest - Cast Your Vote

• Jim Des

Votes: 1 2.0%
  • GEB Entry #1

• David Snider

Votes: 4 8.2%
  • Jen Goodwin

Votes: 14 28.6%
  • Sign Guy 95

Votes: 2 4.1%
  • Marlene Young

• Shovelhead

Votes: 7 14.3%
  • Rick

Votes: 3 6.1%
  • Dale Horn Entry #1

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Dale Horn Entry #2

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • GraphiXtreme

Votes: 3 6.1%
  • Dale Horn Entry #3

• Nuke

• tikiboyz

Votes: 9 18.4%
  • THATgirl

• GEB Entry #2

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Fred Weiss

Merchant Member
The voting poll is now open for your favorite design. The poll will close at midnight EST, Thursday, December 30th, 2004. Hanging chads, absentee ballots, and provisional voters will not be counted. :Big Laugh

All registered members are encouraged to vote.

We had 16 entries from 13 members. I have created a thread for reviewing the entries in which I have edited out all running commentary during the entry period. You can view it HERE. Please Note: Nuke has one entry which is shown in two consecutive posts.

There will be one prize winner with limited braggin' rights going to the first runner up. Contestants entering more than once are treated as separate entries and are not totalled to achieve a higher vote count.

We thank all the members who entered a design. They're all noteworthy.

Jon Aston

Fred:

This was a really great contest. I've been watching it with a great deal of interest and want to congratulate everyone on the basis that I think Dr. Dreems would have a hard time deciding between the various entries.

Do we want to talk about whose entry we voted for and why?

Fred Weiss

Merchant Member
Sure Jon .... hopefully everyone will benefit from knowing what struck others. I would suggest that comments be kept positive and primarily directed at what was liked and not what was disliked.

Marlene

I voted for my own just because I've worked here for 18 years and they have only bought me one clipart set!!!! I'd love to have another before I retire or die and this seems to be the only way I might be able to get it done. Loved every one else's work, great job and realy fun contest. Hope to see more n the future. Thanks Fred for doing this for us.

David Snider

No sad stories Marlene... or I'll have to tell the one about how I used to walk five miles uphill in the snow just to get clip art! :Big Laugh

I thought all entries were good. I was encourage to see that the pricing seemed to be in line with what I would charge here. I found that to be more helpful than anything. Sometimes you get to wondering if your pricing is comparable.

Thanks Fred for all the hard work and effort.

Jen Goodwin

This was great fun, Thanks Fred. It's inspiring to see everyones ideas on the same copy; I have my favorites but they are all awesome!

Dale Horn

Design Ideas

I was looking forward to a design from BAZ- next time.

Thanks everyone for taking the time to post your work. This is learn to do by doing.

:peace!:

Marlene

Did I mention that I'm blind in one eye and have three legs? Yes, here at Twin State Signs, I sit by the fire and beg for another lump of coal to warm my poor old tired bones. If only I had a Clip Art set, I could wrap myself up in the disks and keep myself warm.

jimdes

Must be nuts,

:Big Laugh I don't know Fred, the whole idea of having a billboard parked in my driveway professing to the whole neighborhood that I was nuts just doesn't do it for me. On the other hand, I can see the benefit of such a service in the case of a natural disaster, shool incident or a 9/11 type event in which a large, immediate response is needed.

:cool1: The concept of this project was fantastic, a business that doesn't exist (to my knowledge) with a huge amount of information provided by the customer. Kind of refreshing that it wasn't a tow truck or landscaping business.

:U Rock: I really do appreciate this project and I had a lot of fun with it. There were a lot of great ideas and it's interesting to see the angle that certain individuals took with it. I'm also interested to see how cut vinyl will fare vs. digital print in the voting. Me thinks the digital will win.

Here's to future assignments and a lot of fun and comraderie :thankyou: :signs101:

Jen Goodwin

Does anyone have any that they didn't post? I have another that I didn't get finished in time to submit, but it really looks like it could sell more ice cream than therapy! :Big Laugh

geb

Ya Jen, I wasn't sure if my second entry was selling furniture or what.

It was great fun and a good learning experience. Thanks to whoever voted for me. I was hoping to get one vote, so the pressure's off.

George

Jen Goodwin

I like your second one, George, I like both both of yours. The good thing is you can always sell it to a furniture company!! As I will also have a suitable layout for an ice cream truck :thumb:

geb

I agree with THATgirl, I'd love to see your other one. I voted for your first one. The colors are beautiful and it looked very professional to me.

Also, it took a long time to cast my vote. The entries were awesome and the final decision was between several. Nice job everyone.

George

Jen Goodwin

That is so nice! Thanks! I will post the other when I get a chance...or maybe I should wait until the voting is over.

Jon Aston

When I saw Jen's, I said to myself "we have a winner" - and almost posted something to that effect (but decided to wait).

Marlene's concept was very good (and Shatner is so cool).

Rick got my vote, though - for a couple of reasons - primarily to do with his bold choice of colour...probably not to everyone's taste, right?

Q: Why not?

A: Because it creates a kind of tension / causes a sort of anxiety...and elicits an emotional response. The "off register" darker blue line just adds to this effect. Who offers relief from all of this anxiety? Does anyone spring to mind?

The colour is also highly conspicuous: Nobody is going to miss this truck.

Rick's "explore, analyze, target" wording created a bit of mystery, I think. Gets you thinking about meaning. Sometimes that can be annoying. In this case...it works!

From a brand/positioning standpoint:
  • Is anyone else in town going to choose that colour scheme? Uniquity.
  • More importantly, though, has Rick created a lasting impression for Dr. Dreems? Doesn't this truck kinda burn itself into your psyche? If you or someone you care about needs help, are you going to remember this design? Hard not to.
  • Has Rick's design elicited an emotional response? Does it "demonstrated" the solution?
Rick went for an identity, presented it nicely and - in so doing - changed the discussion from "how much" or "my wife likes the little stars, can you add a few more" to a discussion about the value of design - his design.

Having re-read rick's comments, I realize that I misunderstood his pricing model. Here's how I interpreted it, none the less. The numbers may be unrealistic - but the model is excellent, I think...

How successful do you think this venture to be, Dr. Dreems?

2 options:
  1. Copyright for the identity plus your first truck is yours for $100K now, with me maintaining exclusive rights to producing/installing identity graphics for your fleet of mobile psychiatry vehicles @ $120K each.
  2. Or, I can do the truck for you for $3250 - a premium price for a premium design, which is bound to be highly effective. However, at this price, I maintain exclusiove rights to this design. It will cost you $5000K to acquire these rights in future.
Not quite how I would suggest pitching it, but you get the idea. If your design is top notch and you are confident, it is worth FAR MORE to certain types of clients than you will ever charge based on materials-times-x or hourly rates.

Hope that makes sense.

Jon Aston

I should just add that on a purely subjective, visual level - I thought "Tikiboyz" was a really beautiful design!

Status
Not open for further replies.