• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Ceramic Coating Removal

Hey Guys,

I have a relatively easy decal install job that needs to be done but the client has informed us that he has got a ceramic coating that was just applied to the vehicle. I have seen videos on how to remove it from glass with a torch but I am wondering how I need to go about removing it from the door and box sides of the truck without damaging the clear coat or paint underneath.

Would a regular ISO mix work or will I have to buff this stuff off or is there ceramic coating remover product out there?

rjssigns

Good question. I'm interested in this too.
This probably won't help but the yachts I work on are final buffed with Rejex polymeric wax.
91% IPA won't touch it, but one spray with Method all purpose cleaner, and a quick microfiber wipe results in a squeaky clean surface.

MikePro

yeah, you gotta buff it out. ceramic/hydrophobic coatings can withstand a thousand+ washes.
youtube vid linked of a guy examining ceramic vs. new graphene products, but skip to 57min mark to see the chemical resistance tests... and then bonus test at the end, where he finally removes both coatings with a buffing wheel + compound.

edited to add: most protective coatings, except for wax, should not inhibit vinyl adhesion. Confirm the coating is fully cured, and test a piece of vinyl. ezpz. i just happened to watch vids on these coatings recently, and got hungup on your "how to remove" question...rather than, as Gino said, "WHY... do you need to remove?"

Last edited:

CanuckSigns

people pay upwards of $1000 to get their cars ceramic coated, i would tell the client to take it to a body shop or detail shop to have them remove it, them you can apply the decals, 100% not worth the potential for messing it up for a $200 decal job

Gino

Premium Subscriber
I wanted to ask earlier......... why is it, yu wanna remove the coating. I thought you could letter or wrap right over it.

I wanted to ask earlier......... why is it, yu wanna remove the coating. I thought you could letter or wrap right over it.
after doing some more interweb searching I found a CKwraps video where he says the vinyl sticks just like it would regularly so we ended up just sticking the decals to it. There were comments on the video that said it comes off the first wash so we told the client that if that was the case we would have to remove the coating before reapplying the new decals. The client is super awesome and totally understood