• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Check Off Sheets

dlndesign

So we got in a bind and a few things were not double checked for an install we went out for today and there was a few things "off" to say the least. We discussed it and seems we need a good check off list of what needs to be completed beofore heading out to do an install, and just a good practice to get ourselves in the habit of. Does anyone have something similar that we can look at to get our barrings? Thanks.

tanneji

We used to have one but there was no way it could cover everything so we ended up consolidating everything we would need. We have a bucket for all of our vinyl application stuff and then keep all necessary tools etc in the van to go along with us. I think there's no bullet proof way on this.

dlndesign

Yeah, no bullet proof way is exactly right, but I just want to cut down mistakes in the field, from not taking measurements, photos.. kunckle head stuff that should be common practice, everyone forgets and it will happen every so often, but I just want to cut it down to a manageable level. Still any forms or input would be helpful.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Get a second of everything you need and keep it in the truck or in the garage and make sure no one takes anything out..... or be shot.

These lists never work. You always need something different at this place or that place.

We've been doing store installations for this one company for two years now. EVERYONE.... and I mean EVERYONE knows what's supposed to be in the truck before leaving. We got there and I asked... where's the other ladder ?? Oh, its in there. I looked and saw one 12' and one 8' ladder. Where the heck is the other 12'-er ??

Oh, that's right, we need both the 12'-ers. Sorry Gino, I forgot and put the wrong one in.

Guess who did the extra stretching ?? Not me. We have two guys on ladders, one guy in a 19' scissor lift and one guy on the ground staging things.

signage

Gino why don't you have (2) 12' ladders on every truck that should not be removed without being shot!?

Check list are a nice idea but rarely work. When I ran someone else's shop, we tried having a check list, as soon as we got crammed for time the check list usually were ignored. Even with a check list people tended to make assumptions about what's on the truck, nobody wanted to take time to verify that the tools were on the truck.

John L

Completely do it in your head before you actually do it.

This is also how you estimate the cost of any sign project from a price tag to a pylon.

Billct2

I'm with John, do a "visualization" run thru of the install checking for the needed materials/tools as you go.
Unless you do the same type of job all the time you'll need 20 different check lists, but that may work.
Some guy just published a book on the effectiveness of checklists as shown in aviation,and how they should be used in more places, like hospitals/surgery.

wildside

i think what the op is asking about is a check sheet of production items, not what is on the truck..i think??

jsut think a job through in your head with form start to finish and you will come up with your own fairly quickly, we used to use one that had things like:

design approved
site surveyed
photos of site attached
measurements of site and sign
obstructions, bushes, cars, hobos
colors verified
specific hardware needed

things like that should get your check sheet going i would hope

Mosh

We just have all the tools we need in the service truck. We never take tools out of it for in shop work, so we know they are always going to be in there.

James Burke

Being a grandpa is more fun than working
I do on-site cemetery engraving and sometimes our jobs can be up to 100 miles away from the shop.

One day, I sectioned off a corner of the shop and piled up everything needed to take on the job, including the contents of several tool boxes.

I made a list and typed it up in MS Excel, complete with "check off" boxes.

I'll be the first to say that it is a royal pain in the arse to slow down enough to check off each item, but it's saved me many more hours of lost time driving all the way back to the shop.

There have been times when I "winged it"....and paid dearly for it. We don't leave the shop without it any more.

JB

bernie

Yup, I have a check list just to cover my backside even though I have a double
set up. I do sandblasting (rocks) and like others, what is in the trailer stays in the trailer.

The shop functions on its own with its own equipment and so does the trailer.

What I don't have double of is my air supply unit and I keep most of my paint in
a tote along with my airbrush so when I pull out with the trailer it is
my responsibility to make sure those items are with us. I also am responsible for
the stencil.

I also have a check list for supplies we used at each job that the guy that
works with me is responsible for checking off each item as they get removed from
the supply bin. This also includes the amount of gas, oil and anything else we
use. This is really helpful in job costing.

Bernie