• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Chevy Tailgate Wrap Pricing

NotADesigner

I've searched and could not quite find my question previously posted. I'm new to this game, so really just looking for guidance.

Our designer made up a nice wrap graphic (~1 hour) for a new Chevy truck tailgate. We are going to print and install the wrap also.

We're coming in around $500, but again, we're new to this. Does that sound reasonable?

Also, I'm assuming lamination is a given? I'm not sure what media I will go with, but I was looking at Avery Dennison SC MPI 1005 Vinyl and Avery Dennison DOL 1060 laminate. Any guidance on media/laminate is welcome. Again, we're new at this, but I don't have time to buy and install crap :) Hoping those materials are quality. We have some that came with the printer, but not enough to get us started.

So design, print, laminate, install, say about 3' x 5', no emblems to remove and have to cut around the tailgate handle. We're at $500, where would you be?

Sample image: http://s1.hubimg.com/u/7640234_f520.jpg

NotADesigner

More like $150 I suppose you can hit them with a half hour install/prep charge but no where near $500.00.

For an hour of design, print, lamination, and install? Wow, not what I was expecting! Thanks for the answer though!

And go with the 3m or Oracal equivalent

Any specific product you would recommend? We have 3M IJ-180 right now, but not enough of it. I didn't have much time to shop around befor eI left work tonight, so I was reading from one supplier's catalog. I haven't checked others though.

CreatedDesigns

look at it another way if you got $500 for just the tailgate an entire wrap job from you would be like 5k not very realistic but hey if you can get $500 I would go for it. maybe take a little Google search and see what tailgate wraps are going for. As that will more than likely be your competition.

You will have only like $30-35 in materials in it, Printed and laminated. if you need to pay a designer $100hr and get $100 to install your still at $235.00

biggmann

we offer tailgate wraps for $299 with the design time included. Our designer can knock out the design pretty quick and it usually leads to other work like side graphics. We use Avery 1005EZ with the DOL 1360 laminate. We bring the truck in, take the tailgate off and lay it on the table and remove the handle. The last part is a little work but it makes application much easier. Clean the tailgate really good paying close attention to the bottom of the tailgate its usually covered in grease and dirt. Then lay your graphic on and hinge it in the middle lay that side down then the other, trim it up and post heat. Total job takes about 45 mins max. Each shop is different but if I tried to get $500 out of it I wouldn't ever get the work.

NotADesigner

look at it another way if you got $500 for just the tailgate an entire wrap job from you would be like 5k not very realistic but hey if you can get $500 I would go for it. maybe take a little Google search and see what tailgate wraps are going for. As that will more than likely be your competition.

You will have only like $30-35 in materials in it, Printed and laminated. if you need to pay a designer $100hr and get $100 to install your still at $235.00

That is a good point (full vehicle wrap price), and I hadn't really thought of it that way.

I think the "hidden" variable here for us is the cost of operating our printer. We've made some big investments and just want to make sure we're recouping our costs. Not to say we're in over our head, we're not, but we haven't nailed down pricing yet.

The more research I do on the install process, the more I realize it's not as hard as I envisioned it. So I think our labor component is going to be much lower than we might have originally guessed.

CreatedDesigns

I am in no way trying to get you to lower your pricing you need to eat to. I just wanted to point out what some others might be getting for the same job. If you were going to do a good install you would do as stated above and take apart the tailgate and remove emblems, trim, and handle. clean surface, install wrap and re apply emblems, trim and handle. After you do this a bit it will get faster and easier.

2B

Approximately ...
1 hour design time - 75.00
Tailgate wrap - 175.00

+1

always need to give them the breakdown showing the design and the product/installation.
Sometimes the customer has their own designs.

we are closer to 295 total

Snydo

Avery Dennison SC MPI 1005 Vinyl and Avery Dennison DOL 1060 laminate is more than adequate for a tail-gate, I have full wraps with that stuff at least 4 years out and they still look perfect. I did a fleet vehichle(20-30 vehichles) a few weeks ago, tail-gate and entire drivers side, printed on 1005/1060 lam, 2 hour install...the bill was $650ish. You a kicking *** at 5 bills. Have fun removing that glue under the chevy emblem and best of luck.

Z SIGNS

You can charge what it's worth.
If it's beautiful masterpiece that will blow you away it's one price.
If it's just a plain simple design void of any creativity that anybody with a printer can do it's another price.
Lets see the design.

phototec

Avery Dennison SC MPI 1005 Vinyl and Avery Dennison DOL 1060 laminate is more than adequate for a tail-gate, I have full wraps with that stuff at least 4 years out and they still look perfect. I did a fleet vehichle(20-30 vehichles) a few weeks ago, tail-gate and entire drivers side, printed on 1005/1060 lam, 2 hour install...the bill was $650ish. You a kicking *** at 5 bills. Have fun removing that glue under the chevy emblem and best of luck.

How To De-badge A Truck THE RIGHT WAY!

[video=youtube;clI78qfUqlg]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=clI78qfUqlg[/video]

Rick

Certified Enneadecagon Designer
Talking to client -

Designing -

Approval -

Cost of Materials -

Install price -

Cost of putting it in the books -

Shop Rate - which is cost of keeping
up the software, shop expenses,
cost of recouping printer, laminator
computer, costs, marketing, twiddling your
thumbs waiting for work to come in
and all the other blah blah blah costs...

Only you know the variables, but I like
being able to make money and having
the ability to buY new toys... I think I
would be in the $350-400 range

Stanton

This is a man in business. He has the business attitude. The RIGHT attitude.

Obviously he pays rent and gas and electric and Insurance and taxes and taxes and taxes
and puts some money in the bank for himself because he deserves to.

Has bills to pay. Kids to pamper. Wife to tolerate him.
A life to live. A life HE makes happen. Full of financial risks.

Likes to go out to dinner every so often and tip appropriately.
Wear comfortable clothes and nice shoes and give to his favorite charities.

None of this happens by underbidding.

Oooops... just stubbed my toe on my soapbox.

phototec

Obviously he pays rent and gas and electric and Insurance and taxes and taxes and taxes
and puts some money in the bank for himself because he deserves to.

OMG: Don't get me started on TAXES!

I purchased shoes to wear to work, paid sales tax on them so I could make an income only to pay INCOME TAX.

I purchased pants and a shirt to wear to work, paid sales tax on them so I could make an income only to pay INCOME TAX.

I purchased socks and underwear to wear to work, paid sales tax on them so I could make an income only to pay INCOME TAX.

I purchased a belt to hold up my pants to wear to work, paid sales tax on them so I could make an income only to pay INCOME TAX.

I purchased ball cap to wear to work, paid sales tax on it so I could make an income only to pay INCOME TAX.

I purchased a Dodge Ram 1500 to drive to work, paid sales tax on it so I could make an income only to pay INCOME TAX.

I purchased a license plate (form of tax) for the Dodge Ram 1500 to drive to work, so I could make an income only to pay INCOME TAX.

I purchased tires for the Dodge Ram 1500 to drive to work, paid sales tax on them so I could make an income only to pay INCOME TAX.

I purchased fuel for the Dodge Ram 1500 to drive to work, paid sales tax on it so I could make an income only to pay INCOME TAX.

I purchased lunch at the burger joint across the street, paid sales tax on it so I could make an income only to pay INCOME TAX.

I purchased a cell phone for work, paid sales tax on it so I could make an income only to pay INCOME TAX.

I purchased a house, somewhere to live (sleep) so I could go to work, paid property tax on it so I could make an income only to pay INCOME TAX.

I purchased electricity for my house, paid tax on it so I could make an income only to pay INCOME TAX.

The list goes on and on, when will the American people say enough is enough to all theses taxes?

Oh yea, we already did that back in Boston (Tea party)!

I have read that if you really add it all up, we pay something like 80% of our income to all these TAXES.

:frustrated:

NotADesigner

I am in no way trying to get you to lower your pricing you need to eat to. I just wanted to point out what some others might be getting for the same job. If you were going to do a good install you would do as stated above and take apart the tailgate and remove emblems, trim, and handle. clean surface, install wrap and re apply emblems, trim and handle. After you do this a bit it will get faster and easier.

My plan right now is to leave the handle and trim in tact and just work around it. I'm hoping to match the methods I've seen in the Geekwraps videos and be able to just tuck them graphic in around them once they are cut. Of course, typing this, I'm thinking about how much that handle might stick out from the tailgate and make laying down the initial graphic troublesome...

If we do go with the MPI 1005, is that a repositionable adhesive? As in, something that won't be stuck down until it is squeegeed down? It seems like that would make a big difference in ease of install...

If it's beautiful masterpiece that will blow you away it's one price.
If it's just a plain simple design void of any creativity that anybody with a printer can do it's another price.
Lets see the design.

I don't think the design is award winning, but we took what the customer asked for and put it into a wrap. Originally they just wanted a printed decal on one side of the tailgate and a small printed decal going across it. We mocked it up three ways (with current lettering intact, with a wrap, and replacing current lettering), and they decided on the wrap with no upselling. So I think our design was decent :) As you might guess from my username, I can't take credit for the design. I can see if I can get permission to post it here, but I know it won't blow any minds :)

Snydo

1005 is very repositionable compared to some other brands I've used and that tail-gate handle is about as easy as they come.

Kentucky Wraps

Kentucky Wraps
$500 for a tailgate wrap, And from what I understand based on your questions about material...you are essentially practicing (cutting your teeth) on this customers tailgate?
Call me a jerk but, wow..."you gotta lotta nerve."
Usually guys do $500 in damage to paint jobs with a razor on their first wrap install. Just be careful and good luck.

NotADesigner

$500 for a tailgate wrap, And from what I understand based on your questions about material...you are essentially practicing (cutting your teeth) on this customers tailgate?
Call me a jerk but, wow..."you gotta lotta nerve."
Usually guys do $500 in damage to paint jobs with a razor on their first wrap install. Just be careful and good luck.

There's a reason I posted here first :Big Laugh We're actually down around $365 now, but don't have the media pricing locked down yet... $500 was definitely too high based on what I know now.

And I don't plan on practicing on the customer's vehicle. We have two work vehicles here I can toy around with, plus some personal vehicles that can be used. I understand there is a lot to learn with experience, but I've been doing my research. The first (and only) fence I have built came out pretty good thanks to the internet :wink: