• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Cleaning boards for UV printing

twmiller24

Do you have any suggestions for cleaning boards (coroplast, particularly) uniformly with alcohol for UV printing? We're using a Gerber CAT UV printer, and it seems like with some colors (grays are really bad), we either have problems with the ink going on the material because of residue, roller marks, some fingerprints, etc; or we have wipe marks where the alcohol was.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
For us, it must be the 99% type and something we do that is left over from old-school, but seems to help is..... wipe it dry. Don't just wipe it on and let it air dry. Keep rubbing the entire area until it's dry. If you have to do it in sections, do it in sections. Otherwise it will air dry before you get to the other side of a 5' x 10' and you'll still have your problems.

• Agree
Reactions: Bly

artbot

developed a very odd solution for working with the old CET. instead of attempting to "wipe off" the static, we simple would lay anti-static sheets about every 20 inches or so. in about five to ten minutes, they would draw the static off the sheet.

wiping with anything would always cause some sort of streaking.

Koda

So we went rounds and rounds with this and ended up soaking the sheet (Coroplast/Dibond/PVC/Acrylic) with Windex and let sit for 1-2 minutes then clean with "Windex damp paper-towel" in one hand and a dry paper-towel in the other in small sections (NOTE: MUST DRY BY HAND. DO NOT let air dry or else it will streak and smears will appear in print). This way takes ALL static, finger prints and smears away. I quite using alcohol to clean sub straight ages ago. Just dont try this on Foamcore or paper....obviously.

TrustMoore_TN

Sign & Graphics Business Consultant
We use a 60% IPA /40% H20 mix, spray it onto lint free towels (saturate the towel) and wipe down the boards... Not spraying directly onto the boards. What I found was that the overspray from spraying directly onto the boards would cause fisheyes to develop during printing. Spraying the towel itself eliminated that, and using the 60/40 mix allowed it not to evaporate as quick so that I had time to overlap my wipe pattern and clean the boards more effectively. I was a big believer in the 90+% IPA for a long time till it bit me in the butt and had to reprint 10% of a big job that had fisheyes that I didn't notice till they went to the CNC to be profile cut. Good Luck.

TimToad

We own the same machine and there are just certain colors on an ION that it doesn't matter how you clean the panels. Its in the built in profiles and inherent weaknesses of how certain colors are built and how the ION's distribute the ink. Our Gerber tech sees it across the board with the Solara ION's. Believe me, we've bent his ear for hours on the subject.

A work around I've found when grays and other troublesome colors are involved on the vast majority of the print is to run them twice at a quicker setting 360/2 or 4 pass UNI with all the colors dialed back to anywhere between 50-80% opacity. We only do this on jobs monetarily worth it or for outstanding customers deserving of the extra time, little bit of ink and effort. We just did 50x 18"x24" double sided real estate signs for a regular customer that uses a chrome yellow background and bright red logo and text. When the old owner here used to run them on the single 360/8 pass uni setting, the yellow would look as if they had already been out in the sun for a year right off the printer. The red would be red but lacked any real punch. The whole sign just looked pale compared to how it should have looked. And it would take about 40 minutes to run a whole sheet per side. So he would have an hour and twenty minutes of printing to do both sides of one sheet that way. Even running them twice at 360/4 pass uni only takes a half hour per side. So I shaved 20 minutes off a double sided sheet and the product looks vastly more solid and intense.

When I took over and got the first order from this customer, I dialed back the yellow and red to 80% opacity and started running them twice at 360/4 pass uni. It has added maybe an extra hour and a half of print time total for 50x and a bit more ink, but the realtors noticed the added depth of color IMMEDIATELY and have referred us to even other realtors who have started using us instead of paying more for the competitors still printing/laminating and mounting, so its all good. For a $950 job with under $100 in coroplast and a single 10up file produced years ago, I feel like a little extra ink and time is worth it for such a loyal customer.

Our cleaning regimen is this. First, it starts with ordering the UltraSmooth type of coroplast. It's worth the extra dollar or two to have the treated panels, especially when we know we've got a job with any troublesome colors in large areas. We still use 99% Isopropanol as Denco calls it and as per Artbot's suggestion many moons ago, Kimberly-Clark, lint-free, WypAll L30 Wipes. Regular household brand paper towels We liberally saturate a wipe and with as flat of a hand and even pressure as possible we wipe in the direction of the flutes from one end to the other in smooth, even passes. The second pass is done as the wipe is starting to dry but in the other hand a clean, dry wipe follows up the wet wipe and everything is wiped until dry.

We don't have many issues with static. Our area has a low but steady range of 20-40% humidity. The shop floor here has the plastic, anti-static tiles that I assume Gerber and other printer manufacturers sell because I've seen them in commercial printshops also. When we print on Styrene, Acrylic, Sintra or other static prone substrates, I take a barely damp with water wipe and place it on one of the far corners of the substrate that isn't being printed if possible. It acts like a magnet for any static that builds up during the printing process. You just have to remember to pull it off as the gantry starts approaching it.

Decorworx

Suggestions on specific wipers/rags/what ever? And a suppliers name if possible? Im looking for something other than tshirt material.

Thanks!
Kevin

TimToad

Suggestions on specific wipers/rags/what ever? And a suppliers name if possible? Im looking for something other than tshirt material.

Thanks!
Kevin

We buy these from Amazon and are thrilled with the results and price.

[h=2]Kimberly-Clark 05812 12PK 90CT WHT Wiper[/h] We get this from Denco Sales, our local sign supplier. Its $52 per gallon and I'm pretty sure we can find it a little cheaper, but haven't.

Isopropyl Alcohol
Isopropyl alcohol (also isopropanol or rubbing alcohol) is a colorless, flammable chemical compound with a strong odor. Isopropyl alcohol is commonly used as a cleaner, solvent and disinfectant. This version is 99.5% Isopropanol.