• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Need Help Cleaning paint on aluminum trailer

FS NB

We have a bright yellow aluminum sided trailer that we are replacing the graphics on. There is a significant "shadow" from the old graphics and we are having difficulty cleaning the surrounding area to blend this in.
We have tried mild soap and water, rapid remover, TSP, bleach, simply green, and several other household cleaners. We haven't been able to clean the paint with non abrasive methods. Picture attached

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Attachments

• Fimfo trailer.jpg
    Fimfo trailer.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 213

Billct2

It needs to be buffed with polish compound
Problem is these trailers are often made cheap and you may go thru the yellow.

mkmie

Lost Soul
We have a bright yellow aluminum sided trailer that we are replacing the graphics on. There is a significant "shadow" from the old graphics and we are having difficulty cleaning the surrounding area to blend this in.
We have tried mild soap and water, rapid remover, TSP, bleach, simply green, and several other household cleaners. We haven't been able to clean the paint with non abrasive methods. Picture attached

What about Ghost off or is that just for oxidation?

rjssigns

Agree completely with Billct2. Powder coat on aluminum is ridiculously thin. If you try buffing be very careful. Truth is unless the client wants to repaint it's a lost cause. You'll end up chasing your tail trying to make it look halfway decent then burn through a spot. Now you're on the hook for a full repaint.

Above information is from my installer who's done over three hundred trailers in the last few years.

FS NB

Agree completely with Billct2. Powder coat on aluminum is ridiculously thin. If you try buffing be very careful. Truth is unless the client wants to repaint it's a lost cause. You'll end up chasing your tail trying to make it look halfway decent then burn through a spot. Now you're on the hook for a full repaint.

Above information is from my installer who's done over three hundred trailers in the last few years.
Thanks for the response / advise.

visual800

I will wash with softscrub cleaner and if that dont do it they need to go somewhere else or pay me to wetsand and buff....which could open up a whole new world of hell. I would walk away