• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

CNC Contour Cut

xxtoni

This is by far the best discussion that I've been a part on here at signs101.

It seemed to be that activity really slowed down around here but this just shows that the caliber of members hasn't dropped one bit.

@artbot Do you still use that setup now or have you come up with something more efficient. The laser system is probably gonna be the way we'll do it once we get out 3.05x2.05m router.

artbot

i still do the hill billy laser right angle thing. i've considered mounting one six feet above the table, which would be ideal. but i'm just lazy and haven't gotten to it. lately i've been using my cnc about twice a year so it's gathering dust. i'm using it the next week to cut some parts and took a look at my control box. a mud dobber built a nest on the control board. i was lucky enough to get an upgrade board on ebay for only $112. hell, just for kicks i may just knock off the dirt and run it. i haven't seen anything that will make my shopbot miss a beat. it's about 25 years old (made of wood) and will not die.

mud dobber:
http://www.geocities.ws/brisbane_wasps/images/Palmda1.jpg

xxtoni

i still do the hill billy laser right angle thing. i've considered mounting one six feet above the table, which would be ideal. but i'm just lazy and haven't gotten to it. lately i've been using my cnc about twice a year so it's gathering dust. i'm using it the next week to cut some parts and took a look at my control box. a mud dobber built a nest on the control board. i was lucky enough to get an upgrade board on ebay for only $112. hell, just for kicks i may just knock off the dirt and run it. i haven't seen anything that will make my shopbot miss a beat. it's about 25 years old (made of wood) and will not die.
mud dobber:
http://www.geocities.ws/brisbane_wasps/images/Palmda1.jpg

God damn it, it's older than me.

rjssigns

Mud dauber...the gift that keeps on stinging.

Little buggers seem to seek me out for no good reason.

Ditchmiester

i had to do this in a production situation with my old shopbot for a year or so. ...would have to contour cut about 80 or so of each image. i did the three cross hair marks for a while successfully. in the end, came up with a very cheap laser system.

each print had a 1'x 1' 2 pixel right angle printed at the bottom corner. the cnc table had two lasers painting the table at a right angle. i would just slide the print "under" the lasered right angle so that the black 1' x 1' lined up with the lasered lines and hit the vacuum without a single fear of being off. it was very quick. the tool doesn't have to go anywhere to ID the cut point.

these levels can be also mounted remotely on a pedestal near the cnc to not obstruct.

Artbot,

This is a genius way, I have gone about it other ways on our smaller router that doesn't have a vision system on it and I will be borrowing your idea in the future as it seems way simpler than how I was approaching it in the past.

Thanks for the idea.

xxtoni

Artbot,

This is a genius way, I have gone about it other ways on our smaller router that doesn't have a vision system on it and I will be borrowing your idea in the future as it seems way simpler than how I was approaching it in the past.

Thanks for the idea.

I concur.

4R Graphics

Artbot great system.

You could also build a small jig for the corner (just like the artbot laser) and set a new home to the dead corner. Then lay each sheet butted to the corner and ref home and your off (make sure you make the corner the zero point in your cam) then just run the file over and over again.

artbot had a vac table if you dont use the jig like I posted and then clamp with whatever method you use.

As for bits downspiral and trial and error for feed and speed.

If your tool guy is open to new customers I would love to get his contact info PM me if you can Thanks.

artbot

blame it on being a starving artist. my kit for whatever i do is usually laughable. thankfully, art, doesn't have high tolerance so many things can be just rounded up or down, or sideways, or diagonal.

henryz

Are you doing direct printing on your substrate and would it work if you routed the material parts first and them direct print on them on a jig of some sort on the flatbed?

Nicedeal

No, I'm printing on a Roland SP-300V, then laminating and mounting with a rollsroller. Right now I get another company to route out the signs for me, then I add the printed vinyl - but doing many small signs this way is a pain.