• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Cnc router software

Heejin Lim

Manager
Hello, what software do you use to route channel letter backing and faces, acrylic letters and monument sign alum faces? Will VCarve work or do you have any other recommendations? Please help since I have never use router. Thank you for your time

Ian Stewart-Koster

Older Greyer Brushie
Most people use the software that comes with their router - for starters.
Fabricating acrylic letters is a huge learning curve, not simply a press-button job.
If you've never used a router before, I suggest you set your sights on simpler things, until you get some experience with your own machine, and your own software. You can't buy a bicycle and expect to be able to drive a truck in the same day...

We use Corel + e-cut + whatever else it takes to do the job -hammer, nails, heat gun, glue, hand-held router, laser... Every job is different.

Enjoy the learning curve!

letterworks

Premium Subscriber
Cut 2D (cheaper version of Vcarve) will work for any channel letter needs, half drills for studs, offsets for backs, etc. Having seen e-cut but not used it, I'd probably still use vcarve / cut 2d esp. if you are starting out as it's (probably) easier to get help with getting it to talk nice to the router. It's $400 for cut 2D (and no subscriptions either!)

letterworks

Premium Subscriber
Can it make the returns too? Or just running coil through a notcher?
no, and I gather E-cut does do that. But lead in and lead out cuts, finish pass cuts, multiple depth cuts, etc, etc are easily done in vcarve. OP didn't mention the returns.

Sumon Sarker

We Use vector Pdf art work to Artcam (gcode) to Mach3 (CNC RUN). Also for the face 2-3 mm bigger than the backing . 2 mm Router bits for the channel letters.