• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

code ordinance

WOODBS

Have never heard of code restrictions on having a wrapped vehicle sit in your parking lot as a sign, was told they need to park behind building even though is used for delivery etc?

SightLine

║▌║█║▌│║▌║▌█
Dpending on the size of the town - you could probably fight that. I know we had one customer that lives in a very small town about a half hour out. We wrapped their 14' box truck. Their local town said they cannot park it out by the road in front of their shop! WTF?? The truck gets used almost daily for deliveries. Problem is the town is so small that it only has about 20 employees. The guy who cited them is the sign permit guy is also the building inspector is also the water system administrator is also the clerk of court, etc, etc.... they stand no chance of fighting it. They started parking it behind their building. Fine. Month later they used it to take a bunch of stuff to their home - same guy cited them for having it in their residential driveway. :frustrated:

Pat Whatley

They had something like that in a proposed sign ordinance for downtown Montgomery that never passed. They were trying to stop the people who wrap an old truck and park it out by the road in an effort to skirt around the size and placement restrictions in the current sign code. Honestly I agree with it (oooohhh....I hate freedom....doom....despair).

WildWestDesigns

Dpending on the size of the town - you could probably fight that. I know we had one customer that lives in a very small town about a half hour out. We wrapped their 14' box truck. Their local town said they cannot park it out by the road in front of their shop! WTF?? The truck gets used almost daily for deliveries. Problem is the town is so small that it only has about 20 employees. The guy who cited them is the sign permit guy is also the building inspector is also the water system administrator is also the clerk of court, etc, etc.... they stand no chance of fighting it. They started parking it behind their building. Fine. Month later they used it to take a bunch of stuff to their home - same guy cited them for having it in their residential driveway. :frustrated:

I could argue either way on that one. There are codes in place around here to are along those lines. No chance on being able to fight it here. Way to many people in favor of it when the ordinance went through. Those people that got it through are still there.

I know my home town(Plano, TX) has some pretty strict rules for signage as well, even more so then here. Or maybe not so much strict, but more uniform and comprehensive.

Kentucky Wraps

Kentucky Wraps

LOL why did they spend so much to wrap something only a handfull of people are going to see, that already know them by first name anyway ..i'm just sayin

wildside

We wrapped their 14' box truck. Their local town said they cannot park it out by the road in front of their shop! WTF?? The truck gets used almost daily for deliveries. Problem is the town is so small that it only has about 20 employees. The guy who cited them is the sign permit guy is also the building inspector is also the water system administrator is also the clerk of court, etc, etc.... they stand no chance of fighting it. They started parking it behind their building. Fine. Month later they used it to take a bunch of stuff to their home - same guy cited them for having it in their residential driveway. :frustrated:

WOW!

so did they have a problem with the box truck before it was wrapped?
does the city have anything lettered on its vehicles?

they tried a proposed ordinance here for vehicles once, until i informed them that their own vehicles need to be all changed since it would not fit in their own code, they dropped it and never revisited it again

Kentucky Wraps

Kentucky Wraps
The code around here is you can't park a wrapped vehicle off the road, or it's considered a sign. It has to be in a parking lot. Guess private property don't mean much these days.

WildWestDesigns

The code around here is you can't park a wrapped vehicle off the road, or it's considered a sign. It has to be in a parking lot. Guess private property don't mean much these days.

Not if you are in a sub-division or something like that. Considering "you're" already bound by the CCRs, it doesn't really matter that much relatively speaking.

showcase 66

Kinda confusing out here. Technically, you can leave your box truck out in front or in a parking lot (as long as you have permission of the owner of the property) as long as no more than 20% of the vehicle is covered in advertising. Now if it is a regular vehicle, it doesnt matter. Just on the box trucks and large vans.

However, you can get a permit to have a fully wrapped box truck to be left on a property for advertising for 1 week at 1 location. You can get 52 permits a year for each vehicle but each vehicle can only be at a single location for 1 week and can not be at the same location for another 4 weeks. The permit is free and basically you fill the paper out at the city complex and they print out a permit with the location stated and you have to have it in the vehicle where it can be read by law enforcement.

Waste of time and a waste of money is my opinion.

SightLine

║▌║█║▌│║▌║▌█
LOL why did they spend so much to wrap something only a handfull of people are going to see, that already know them by first name anyway ..i'm just sayin

They are 30 minutes from a decent size city - Columbia, SC. They have deliveries going to Columbia daily.... ;)

WOW!

so did they have a problem with the box truck before it was wrapped?
does the city have anything lettered on its vehicles?

they tried a proposed ordinance here for vehicles once, until i informed them that their own vehicles need to be all changed since it would not fit in their own code, they dropped it and never revisited it again

Nope - the truck was okey dokey before it was wrapped.... that town just has plain letters on the doors of the couple of vehicles they have except the 2 police cars which have a little more.

Kentucky Wraps

Kentucky Wraps
Not if you are in a sub-division or something like that. Considering "you're" already bound by the CCRs, it doesn't really matter that much relatively speaking.

Well a guy owns a small farm and the corner of it is a corner of a major intersection. It's basically a grassy hill. He would allow political signs to be there every season...and then a wrapped trailer. City made an ordinance that if it's not on a parking lot, it can't be there. It's his own private property but can be seen by the public on the highway...so he is subject to that rule. Because if it's off the road, it's just a sign...and therefore illegal.

WildWestDesigns

Well a guy owns a small farm and the corner of it is a corner of a major intersection. It's basically a grassy hill. He would allow political signs to be there every season...and then a wrapped trailer. City made an ordinance that if it's not on a parking lot, it can't be there. It's his own private property but can be seen by the public on the highway...so he is subject to that rule. Because if it's off the road, it's just a sign...and therefore illegal.

Now that it is a crap rule. I hate to have to deal with that ruling when I have as much land as I do and no-one from the road can see my vehicles.

I can understand why that is a vile ruling.

Techman

If the town is so small they have one guy run it all then they cannot afford an attorney.

I got a warning ticket for my trailer being parked out front.
I fought it and won.
It was a fully licensed and insured road worthy vehicle in use every day. It is irrelevant to what is pained on the side. If my trailer was illegal then so was all other vehicles with the business name on the sides. If I had to change my trailer decorations then so did U haul.
They hearing officer ruled in my favor.

petepaz

If the town is so small they have one guy run it all then they cannot afford an attorney.

I got a warning ticket for my trailer being parked out front.
I fought it and won.
It was a fully licensed and insured road worthy vehicle in use every day. It is irrelevant to what is pained on the side. If my trailer was illegal then so was all other vehicles with the business name on the sides. If I had to change my trailer decorations then so did U haul.
They hearing officer ruled in my favor.

i would agree with techman. you have to by law have your company info on a commercial vehicle right so what's the difference if its cut vinyl lettering or a wrap. as long as it is registered and insured...that's a bunch of crap. it would be different if you are parking an old jelopy on the side walk that's rusted up and held together with duct tape.

J Hill Designs

an old jelopy on the side walk that's rusted up and held together with duct tape.

Quit talking about my daily driver!!

Attachments

• duct_tape_dodge.jpg
    duct_tape_dodge.jpg
    59.2 KB · Views: 86

mark galoob

i def would have my attorny write a letter to the city...how can they say anything about your personal vehicle. even if you have multiple personal vehicles, an attorny might cost you 150 to write a letter to them, but it would be worth the cost to be able to park it where you want to...

mark galoob

Salmoneye

Tell them you are going to sue if they allow semi trucks in town or uhaul trucks that have graphics on them. We have an ordinance like that here as well. Vehicle can not sit for more than 24hrs and can't have specifics like prices, promotions...