• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

COLORSPAN 5400 problems

SignManiac

You're going to be real sorry you bought that printer. I have a two hundred page novel filled with documentation for each and every one of the sixty five service calls we've had performed on our machine. Look for our website very soon with an HTML file showing all the problems we've had. The machine is not reliable and just isn't capable of doing what ColorSpan/HP claim it can do.

Good luck with your issues and HP refuses to take our machine back. There response was "Sue Us" It's a shame there isn't a lemon law for this printer.

Timer

Thanks for your comment, it's good to know, I'm not alone with my problem.
Mine is in guarantee period yet, but now I prepare to go to the court with
this problem. Has anybody any idea how to win this match...? If you have got
also problems with your machine, please write it to me, maybe it could help
me..... Many thanks!!!

CGRAVES

We are having the same problems you are with the colorspan 5400. We are now using a second colorspan 5400(a refurbished replacement HP sent us), but are now having the same problems with it. We would like to compare details with you.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
What is H/P's number for this unit ?? We were looking at an H/P 45500. Is that similar ??

luggnut

i worked at a shop that had one of these and the only thing i could run thru it with a little confidence was coroplast. since it had the grit roller feed mechanism that seemed to be the major problem, anything much heavier than 4x8 coro would get hung up somewhere.

luggnut

Gino from looking at the pics it looks like the same machine .... the fold down tables. but it could have some major improvements.... but i wouldn't take the chance after my experience with the other.

Timer

CGRAVES

We first have bought a Colorspan 98 UVX (03.2007). We were satisfied with it. When Colorspan had began selling a new printer with higher resolution (5400 series), we have immediately bought it (12.2007).
When they put it in operation, 2 printheads were already wrong. It has printed more and more striped, the speed slowed up to able to print the same quality. (03.2008). The sw. was updated by the support team. The problems were not solved, of course. The automatic head cleaner forgot its settings and didn't clean for a week. Meantime the I/O board went wrong, which I had to wait for weeks (09.2008). Under the printer the ink stayed as a pool of water and the cleaning system was continuously wrong. At the time the support team found already 7 heads bad. (10.2008)
We will have a talk with the management of HP (01.2009) about the redemption of the printer, because the printer hasn't got the parameters they sold with. We don't want the HP to change the printer, because the problems would return. In my opinion, it has got buildup problems.

There is an article about this machine from an expert, who has tested over 101 UV printers:
http://www.large-format-printers.or...5440uv_5445uv_5460uv_5465uv_5400uv_Series.php

Please be so nice sending your story, too. HP said, they have bought more than 600 printers like this and all of them work without mistakes. Maybe the buildup problems will be more obvious.

Thanks for your help!

Bests,
Timer

threeputt

Quick question, but since so many owners have serious problems that can't be corrected with these machines, is there/has there ever been talk of a class action lawsuit?

(for the record, I'm not an owner, but (anecdotally) have heard of serious, non-fixable problems)

ksc

I sued them they caved at 80% of total purchase price, and i bought a gerber ion... way better Printer.....