• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Composer Vs. Illustrator

Tattoosleeve

This is a little ongoing debate we have at the shop. Us old salty dogs who grew up on Composer are trying to educate the youth on sign specific tools that are just missing in Illustrator ;)

l.php

Attachments

• Composer.jpg
    Composer.jpg
    78 KB · Views: 457

ams

I started on composer myself. I still have a copy. It is superior on certain things and makes things easier. I've always disliked AI and only use Corel. But composer still to this day has it's place.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Judging by your kerning and use of negative space, neither program is working well for ya.

Personally, started out with hand to eye layouts and execution, but went to the Sprint, which was before composer and then to ANAgraph and got Composer back in the late 80's or early 90's. Not quite sure exactly when. Then, I guess it turned into omega.

To me, it always seemed the old CAS type programs were designed around making signs for fonts available, kerning and other features needed more in sign making, while back then... Illustrator and Corel were more for desktop kinda work, like an agency would use. As time went on, they all seemed to fuse together, but I do think the older programs did a lot more and had better cutting technology in it. Less nodes for sure.

ChrisN

For a start, try to make your meme in Composer. If you can do that, it might help your point a little...

Attachments

• illustrator.pdf
    2 MB · Views: 327

Rick

Certified Enneadecagon Designer
I worked in Composer as well... was also a Corel user back then...
Now I work in Illustrator...

There are two sayings that apply here...

"The right tool for the right job"

"You can't teach an old (salty) dog, new tricks"

Tattoosleeve

Judging by your kerning and use of negative space, neither program is working well for ya

This was created on a meme generator website, you just type in the text and it auto-generates the picture, definitely not an indicator of my layout skills.

Illustrator is of course better than Composer in a multitude of ways (layers for instance) and vice-versa. Just thought this was a fun little joke.

Last edited:

AKwrapguy

I think that we've had this conversation before.... I use Composer, Corel, Illustrator, Photoshop, Flexi, 3DS Max, and more. These are all just tools. Some tools are more specialized than others, it doesn't mean that one is better. This idea that one program or company is better than another is short sited and make wonder about ones mental capacity. I'm by no means saying that everyone needs to learn everything or be an expert in any or all programs, but this notion that X software is better than X software needs to go.

Do you limit yourself anywhere else in life? Sorry I won't wrap your new Ford truck cause it's not magnetic, and I only use magnets to hold my material up? Sorry I can't do this job because I don't have the software, I only work in .plt files or .psd files or whatever bullshit crap you want limit your self to.

Tell the old men and the younger employees to pull their head of asses and just get it done.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
This was created on a meme generator website, you just type in the text and it auto-generates the picture, definitely not an indicator of my layout skills.

Illustrator is of course better than Composer in a multitude of ways (layers for instance) and vice-versa. Just thought this was a fun little joke.

Yeah, pretty much what I thought. Glad you understand my dry humor.................:toasting:

Tattoosleeve

I think that we've had this conversation before.... I use Composer, Corel, Illustrator, Photoshop, Flexi, 3DS Max, and more. These are all just tools. Some tools are more specialized than others, it doesn't mean that one is better. This idea that one program or company is better than another is short sited and make wonder about ones mental capacity. I'm by no means saying that everyone needs to learn everything or be an expert in any or all programs, but this notion that X software is better than X software needs to go.

Do you limit yourself anywhere else in life? Sorry I won't wrap your new Ford truck cause it's not magnetic, and I only use magnets to hold my material up? Sorry I can't do this job because I don't have the software, I only work in .plt files or .psd files or whatever bullshit crap you want limit your self to.

Tell the old men and the younger employees to pull their head of asses and just get it done.

This is posted in the humour section.....it's a joke.

James Burke

Being a grandpa is more fun than working
I use both Composer and Illy...along with SignLab, Corel and AutoCAD. Each offers their own unique set of strengths.

Dealing with native files is golden.

JB

Rick

Certified Enneadecagon Designer
There is nothing funny about Composer... Now CorelDraw users... that's funny!

Attachments

• 99c6710d494a3af643245c863c11cb81--funny-people-funny-things.jpg
    99c6710d494a3af643245c863c11cb81--funny-people-funny-things.jpg
    49.5 KB · Views: 288

Billct2

"started out with hand to eye layouts and execution, but went to the Sprint, which was before composer and then to ANAgraph and got Composer back in the late 80s"
this was just about my path too. I now use Composer and Corel. Composer was deigned to make signs, so a lot of the tools imitate how a sign painter executed an effect. The outline/shadow tool is better than Corel. And I like the distortion effects too. Lots of time I design the type in Composer and add the other stuff in Corel.

Joe House

I grew up on Composer as well. I think one of the best things and most underutilized features is the Natural Layout tool based on Mike Stevens' Mastering Layout. Probably the ones that would value it most are the ones who do it naturally by now - the old salty dogs in this crowd.