• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Contour Cut Window Perf

Billct2

I have a client who wants some contour cut window perf logos & lettering for the side rear windows of a big SUV.
I have only done perf as panels that cover the whole area.
Will these be OK?
Thanks

Stacey K

I like making signs
Following.

I've had requests also but I always talked them into making the background black instead. I wonder if you can use edge sealer on the edges?

Billct2

Yea, I'm going show them a full background first and let them know if they choose contour there's a chance it will start peeling.
If they do contour I will also edge seal

MikePro

every cut creates fingers that can&will peel-back.
edge seal won't cut it, it may slow the process but every wash&wipe&exposure will eventually start lifting them.

contour cut the lettering/shapes AND then sheet laminate before contour cutting a ~.25" outline from original perfcut shape.
edited to add: I hate sheet laminating perf, I would also try just capping the perimeter with a >.25" contourcut of optically/gloss clear lam overlay.

zstekovic

Just use cheapest perf cut you can find (thickest, smallest holes) and don’t put any lamination or other sealer crap on it (reason: water/moisture will pool in and look like crap). Disable rear wiper too or tell customer not to use it. Make few copies for replacement and charge that in - when it fails (4-8 months) replace.
I did that all the time on city buses and taxis…
Note: prep window correctly, you can use water method with paper transfer if weather is ok so it can dry fast.

danno

I did a job a few years back. A Suburban if I remember correctly. I laminated and cut the window perf on a Summa plotter. When I finished the install, I sealed the edge with 1/4" wide strips of laminate. It was easy to work around the contour cut edge. The client and shop owner were pleased with the results.

SightLine

║▌║█║▌│║▌║▌█
If you properly seal the edges it works fine..... We have done many over the past 20 years. I do think the quality of the perf can also be a factor as well. The cheapest ones tend to have the weakest adhesive in my experience.

IMG_20230817_152801094_HDR.jpg

Costa Mesa Sign

I have a client who wants some contour cut window perf logos & lettering for the side rear windows of a big SUV.
I have only done perf as panels that cover the whole area.
Will these be OK?
Thanks
Use a 60 degree blade, run the speed slow and insist upon a simplistic cut line. It'll be fine.