• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Converting work table to light table

AF

I have a fairly robust work table with a Rhino mat / grid on it. The top is made from 1 1/2 of MDF. My plan is to drill holes through the table in a grid pattern and install LED's so that I can light up the whole thing. The Rhino mat would act as a diffuser to help distribute the light. I considered cutting a portion out and putting a glass top with light box but this table is used for many things that would damage the glass. The LEDs would require 1/4" holes and would be mounted just below the surface so there is not concern for breaking anything. Has anyone done something similar and can share the optimal spread on the LED's?

JP4

I wonder how bright those LED Stripes would be if you place them on the Edge of a Glass top?
~JP

iSign

how much light are you expecting to get, & what will you be using the light table for? I used to have a nice light table when I was strictly a screen print shop, and I loved having adequate light, which came in handy sometimes on my vinyl jobs as well, registering two color cut vinyl jobs, or seeing the cuts on a complex weeding job, etc...

I've worked with LED's a bit, & I don't think either of your ideas will diffuse light as much as I would want from a light table

artbot

couple of suggestions.

one test the theory on square foot.

once i decided to hand drill a plenum for my cnc instead of have the cnc do it. i was convinced that i could do it just as fast and figured what the heck. about 1/6 of the way through i realized what I was attempting to do. it came to about 2500 holes. my arm was about to fall off.