• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Copyright blurb

Colin

I sometimes attach this blurb to my emails that have JPG proofs attached, but I still think it needs a little "word-smithing" to soften it somehow:

Any and all images/artwork/designs/layouts attached to this email are property of (ABC Signs) and may not be copied, reproduced, duplicated, or shared with or given to other bidders, quoters, designers, sign shops, competitors, or used in any way, shape or form without expressed permission. Copyright and intellectual property laws apply.

What do you think? My fear is that some potential customers will be offended or just get their nose out of joint with what may appear to be overly officious and hard-nosed, but I think that not including it is foolish as I am then simply not letting them know what they are not permitted to do.

:help

Last edited:

mikey-Oh

we use something similar, just make it a small pt size. most people don't read signatures or fine print anyhow

Jim Doggett

I sometimes attach this blurb to my emails that have JPG proofs attached, but I still think it needs a little "wordsmithing" to soften it somehow:

Any and all images/artwork/designs/layouts attached to this email are property of (ABC Signs) and may not be copied, reproduced, duplicated, or shared with or given to other bidders, quoters, designers, sign shops, competitors, or used in any way, shape or form without expressed permission. Copyright and intellectual property laws apply.

What do you think? My fear is that some potential customers will be offended or just get their nose out of joint with what may appear to be overly officious and hard-nosed, but I think that not including it is foolish as I am then simply not letting them know what they are not permitted to do.

That's good. Great is a link to the image on your sight, with acceptance language ("By following this link you agree ....")

That's informed consent, and it adds credibility / value to what you create, IMO.

Colin

That's good. Great is a link to the image on your sight, with acceptance language ("By following this link you agree ....")

That's informed consent, and it adds credibility / value to what you create, IMO.

Good idea! Although I wouldn't want to have to go into my web page software, upload the JPG, save, upload to server, etc every dang time just for a proof.

hmmm

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Although I don't follow this practice with my posts on s101, I do think the quickest and shortest written attachment is/are the best.

I would shorten it to:

All work within is copyrighted material and belongs to ABC Sign Company. Any violation of said contents will not be tolerated. Consider the consequences and govern yourselves accordingly.

There's not much difference between the two, except yours sounds like a worried possibly even desperate participant.... where mine is to the point and very legal-like.

I would add this to all quotes, e-mails and invoices.

Believe me.... it works. We've had to use it twice in the last two months. In both occasions, we were reimbursed completely by both parties. We just got the check today..... as I was writing this. Talk about timing being everything.

Colin

Consider the consequences and govern yourselves accordingly.

Thanks Gino, but to me that comes off as a "threat". Possibly more of a turn-off than just spelling out what is the law.

Believe me.... it works. We've had to use it twice in the last two months. In both occasions, we were reimbursed completely by both parties.

What did you do to back it up - did you have a lawyer send a letter to the transgressors?

JimmyG

I sometimes attach this blurb to my emails that have JPG proofs attached, but I still think it needs a little "word-smithing" to soften it somehow:

we use something similar, just make it a small pt size. most people don't read signatures or fine print anyhow
I use something similar also...

I also use a "sketch template" to help quote the job...I have a few versions and suit the copyright statement to the type of customer....

Hope y'all can read the small print on this picture, i couldn't seem to upload a .cdr or .ai file....

Attachments

• BillyGoatSIGNStemplate1.jpg
    BillyGoatSIGNStemplate1.jpg
    41.2 KB · Views: 45

Gino

Premium Subscriber
This is the ending of our letter, but it worked great for the second time in a row.

[FONT=&quot]As of the date of the writing of this letter of demand, we have not heard a thing from you, so we are giving you 12 days from today to have a check in our hands - by Friday, November 12th or we will be turning this over to file a lawsuit demanding all costs including all court costs and our attorney fees to be paid by your company if our demand is not met by the aforementioned date of November 12th. This was an agreement entered into by XXXXX Development Group and ABC Signs on June 21, 2010. It is now 60 days since the original invoice was delivered. Consider the consequences and govern yourselves accordingly.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]
[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Very truly yours,[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]ABC SIGNS[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]
[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Gino
Partner[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]GMW/cpw
cc: Chris Eves, Esq.
Dean Patton, Dist. Justice
Howard Rieckart [/FONT]

Colin

Thanks Jimmy - good one.

Gino: Was it a case where someone stole your artwork/design?

Locals Find!

Here is what we use for Proofing. We have it setup in all our artwork programs to be used. We then export to a .pdf before emailing our clients. Of course we do modify the proof portion as necessary for each product.

Attachments

• Proof Sheet.jpg
    Proof Sheet.jpg
    47.9 KB · Views: 65

JimmyG

But that is a demand letter for a past due job job invoice Gino, and yes well written and "commanding" as would be deemed neccessary....

I wouldn't want to appear quite so scary, either, on a "copyright statement"....
Just enough statement to make the copyright point seems more professional to me...

Nice proof sheet there AdTechia, I like your wording on until invoice is paid part...Spelling is another important issue for sure...

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Yes, what I have written in the second post was the end of a 'Demand Letter'. It worked. What I have written in my first post was how I was suggesting to the OP of a possible way of stopping people from reading so much and making decisions on their own to skirt around his wording.

It seems today, if you start a list of things you can and cannot do, someone smart-ass lawyer will find a loop hole since you didn't cover his client's particular circumstances. If you cut to the chase and tell them you will not tolerate any shenanigans..... its a One Way street for violators.

As with Addie's statement, once you pay for all invoices, a smart lawyer could say.... The invoice was paid in full and we figured that gave us the rights to the artwork. It didn't specifically indicate that you must pay invoice AND get written permission and the payment was considered authorization for the artwork. Also, any good attorney would say in a heart beat.... your own statement says that once it's approved.... his shop is no longer responsible for spelling, punctuation or whatever else he wants. It's not written clear enough. Therefore, since I'm still responsible for certain things in the artwork and he isn't.... why does he own it and I'm still responsible for corrections ?? It's still my responsibility, so it's still my artwork.... corrections or not. Kinda simple, if ya ask me.

These kind of rules are meant for honest people, just like a lock on your house.... only the dishonest people [and lawyers] are going to use it against you and go to the nth degree to prove you wrong.

Am I right. No, not at all, but it is a way around for some people.... and believe me, they're out there and just waiting to test you if you're gonna waste money on a lawyer and take a chance.
My wording doesn't leave any room for thinking.... it either is or it isn't. No grey. :noway:

Your words are far better in your fine print. That would probably stand on it's own.

Jim Doggett

Good idea! Although I wouldn't want to have to go into my web page software, upload the JPG, save, upload to server, etc every dang time just for a proof.

hmmm

Good point. Sorry; I do Web development, so Filezilla runs near 24/7.

Another idea would be to Zip the file with a password that by typing they agree, i.e., "Type 'agree' to open the archive."

Just a thought

WildWestDesigns

It seems today, if you start a list of things you can and cannot do, someone smart-ass lawyer will find a loop hole since you didn't cover his client's particular circumstances. If you cut to the chase and tell them you will not tolerate any shenanigans..... its a One Way street for violators.

"Including the following, but not limited to"