• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Corel for main software? / Corel Sign Tools 3

Colin

I'm at the point where I need to spend $3000 Cdn on a software upgrade (Inspire to Flexi) and would like to hear from those who use CorelDraw for their main program. How is "Sign-Tools 3" & "Co-Cut"? Have you used other sign software to campare it to?

Thank you!

geb

Hi Colin. I have used Signlab, Anagraph's Designart2000, Corel ver. 9 with sign tools3.
I started with anagraph 3.5,went to designart 2000, had a lot of problems with the software, and decided to try corel with signtools. I haven't mastered corel, but it works well with the signtools, and signtools support has always helped when there was a problem. I have also heard good things about co-cut. I prefer signlab, probably the software I have spent the most time on, but have been happy with corel, as it does some things easier than in signlab. I feel I can't go wrong with both, and Corel is ALOT cheaper, along with signtools.

George

ChiknNutz

I use Corel 12 and CoCut Pro 12. Started with Corel 9 and have been happy with it. Have also used Flexi some, and like some of the easy text features, but also don't like the HUGE price tag that accompanies it and SignLab. Working good for me so far, but also don't do any digital printing yet and have heard good about signlab for that and the versacamm.

Colin

Thanks for the comments........I'd love to hear more from others too.

I failed to mention that I'm also curious about how well CorelDraw would handle large format printing. Would one simply export from there to a rip?

Colin

OldPaint

i been using corel since version 3!!!!! the work area on it wa 30" x 30"!....when i had that i also had PRO-CUT, bridge program that was before CO-CUT. COREL V 5.0 would not cut to plotter , corel leased the code to CO-CUT, and corel 6.0 was cutless also. corel 7 was the 1st corel to go to 150 ft x 150 ft work area. 7 was the last of the true corels, after 7 they added a bunch of stuff from XARA for 8 and above.
i cut from corel direct to plotter, and have no problems. i have used sign lab, flexi, vmpro, inspire, casmate, sign mate & sign wizard. all have there standout features....but for most cutting i use corel everyday.

giantsfan1951

Funny you should mention the cost of the upgrade as a part of you "descision" to think about switching.... I did the exact same thing about 4 or 5 years ago... for less than the cost of upgrading my then present software i switched to VMP Pro.... i use Corel for my major design work and VMP for the actual sign production.
for a great majority of the sign busness we get here, VMP is the only part i hvae to contend with. it's "design"abily has proven more than adequate for most all run of the mil work. the only "problem" with switching was the stuff i produced in my old program was not transporable, and had to be redone in VMP (either the export feature in the old program or the import feature in VMP was lacking and the transfer was not good.) But there were very few "repeat" order items so it was a minor inconvenience.

rossi graphics

i use corel 9 and signtools3 it does everthing i need it to do i do have signlab 6,but use corel and signtools 3 everyday,why spend 1000's for programs that take long way around,use what you know,i am going to switch to corel draw 12,we will see whats happens? my next venture will be cocut pro ,corel has

been time tested ,and has a lot to offer for 1/2 price of other guys,

Techman

Cocut pro and Corel. better than the best.

I had signtools but let it loose after getting cocut.

There is nothing I cannot do in corel and cocut that could be done in any other program..

I liked it so much that i got the update to 12 after i got corel 12. Cocut has a user BBS for help with soem problems. There are hardly any problem posts there. All are addressed with guidance on what to do.

I never need tech support with cocut pro either.

Sign tools is a good program for a hobbiest..

Niun

Waffle Baron
I have used Flexi, SignLab, Vinyl master and Omega and I can honestly say I enjoy Corel over all of them. The SignLab es2 shortcut works great with it as well. Havent had any problems in the last 6 years using this combo.

Dana

Niun

Waffle Baron
Almost forgot the price difference. 4k for the popular sign software. Or buy Corel Draw 8 for 10 bucks and es2 for 180 and your ready to roll. If you want to splurge you can get the latest version of Corel 11 or 12 for 300 bucks or less sometimes.

OldPaint

i have been using corel since version 3!!!! 7 was the best rock solid. i now use 10. i dont have any BRIDGE program, co-cut, sign tools, pro-cut/eurocut. i do 95% of all my cutting in corel and have files from corel 3...which can be broght into 10, 11, 12.

heyfishguy

How do setup corel to cut?

OldPaint said:
i have been using corel since version 3!!!! 7 was the best rock solid. i now use 10. i dont have any BRIDGE program, co-cut, sign tools, pro-cut/eurocut. i do 95% of all my cutting in corel and have files from corel 3...which can be broght into 10, 11, 12.

OP how do you set up corel 10 to directly cut with no bridge program?

OldPaint

you connect your plotter to the printer port 1st, if yours is comm only you cant do it. i use roland plotters and they have both comm/printer connection. roland has a driver you load just like a printer driver, and in corel you send to print and it will cut. in corel you need to make the page the size of you vinyl. you need to make the line to hairline or .00004 or 5 depending on the version of corel....set page to you plotter and your off an cuttin....oh only versions of corel that wont do this is ver 5 and 6...7 thru 12 have a 150 feetx 150 feet work space..... :Coffee:

OldPaint

CO CUT IS A BRIDGE PROGRAM...and it has its own driver....for other machines. corle will cut to plotter if you treat the plotter like a printer. i uses HPGL to transmite info between plotter and computer. again it will only work if you have PRINTER PORT CONNECTION to the plotter!

Techman

CoCut is NOT a bridge program. There is no exporting to another program.

It is a plugin that works seamlessly within corel to make Corel a cutting sign program. Just as plug ins make photoshop more powerfull so does cocut make corel more powerfull.

Cocut and Corel is a very low priced but very powerfull combination. I am shocked that some pass on this setup simply because they think that a $2,000 program will do better.

Techman