• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

corel vs. adobe

GatorGraphics

Newbie here!

I am trying to choose between Adobe Illustrator and Corel Draw. I would like to hear some pros and cons for both programs. Also, will either program allow you to flatten a photo to be digitized.

Si Allen

Mac people seem to like Illustrator and PC poeple are usually Corel based.
I have both, but Corel is my prefferd program...been using it dince version 4.

2NinerNiner2

I have used both since version 1 of each and I still prefer Corel ... perhaps it's just a Canadian thing :) ... but it is all what you get used to using. They are both very capable applications.

Geary

Yep. Similar here. However, I'm a Mac preferred user primarily that really like the features of both. My take on it anymore is that what you've "grown up with" is what works best. I've been with Illustrator since '88 but honestly enjoy the features in Corel. Corel has grown to be more "sign friendly" to me in one respect....in that many of the Flexi or LXi tools are a lot like CorelDraw.

I would suggest that since you are a newbie, just go with whatever will work best in your business with your business associates. In other words...if you are going to sub out work, find out what your vendor uses so that you guys can be more compatible.

Furthermore, which ever one you start off with....buy the other one like off of Ebay or something a couple versions back....just to have on hand. :wink:

~Gear

sullosau

I have both and Im a real PITA when it comes to tutorials and learning new things even thou Im not an old dog. But for ease of use I like corel, now if it came with something that I could press one of those buttons and it would make coffee Id be even happier!
Both programs are standards in their own rights, but I like corel and I can cut directly from that, I probably can in illustrator too but Im too damn lazy to set it up cos its already setup in corel.
Steve
Hope that helps

vid

For sign work, CorelDraw --- For design work, Illustrator.

That's not to say that the two aren't mutually exclusive. But, that's been my experience. Seems like CorelDraw works best for stuff inhouse where you have internal controls and a budget. Illustrator works best for stuff when you have to outsource product... and a bigger budget.

Based on your query about the photo, go with CorelDraw.

I work with both a PC and a Mac, CorelDraw and Illustrator. --- My personal preference is Illustrator on a Mac.

They are both just tools, though.

Best,
vid

Welcome to the forum.

Bigdawg

Just Me
I've been using Illustrator for years - Corel was secondary for me. I prefer Illustrator 90% of the time - probably because of my familiarity with it. It does have a pretty steep learning curve. Corel seems to be a little more user friendly.
I come from an offset printing background, and Corel has always had such color management issues (as well as other quirks that made it a real PITA for prepress) that anything I did in Corel I exported to Illustrator. I believe a lot of those problems have been addressed so it would probably be easier - and definitely cheaper - to go with corel. vid has it right - they are just tools and if you have the design skills it really won't matter too much which program you use.

Last edited:

Flame

I have both, and prefer Corel. I like Illustrator for doing drawings and illustrations though, but not a full job. Corel is just a better overall package. I do like Illustrator for drawing out objects though, as their drawing tools are great. I can make great flames in Illustrator, while Corel's just look like C**P.

Bobby H

Arial Sucks.
It's probably best for a new user (provided you're working on a Windows-based PC) to go with CorelDRAW first. You'll get 1000 fonts and a whole lot of clipart. Version X3 even includes a good number of vehicle outlines, most at 1/20 scale.

However, I strongly advise anyone to avoid a strictly "either or" approach on only using Corel or Illustrator.

Corel has larger workspaces, better point editing tools and lends itself well to technical drawing.

Illustrator has better type handling (the only drawing application with complete OpenType support), color management, produces much cleaner quality on many vector-based effects and integrates well with Photoshop. Corel doesn't support Postscript AICB paths on the clipboard and thus cannot place paths into Photoshop like Illustrator or Freehand.

Basically, if you really want to cover your bases, buy CorelDRAW X3 first and then save up for Adobe Creative Suite 2 (and get the Premium version if possible).

Rick

Certified Enneadecagon Designer
Up to a point they are just tools.
What exactly are you going to be using it for, signs only?
Where do you plan on going with your business?
Will your vendors have a problem with any program you get?
PC or Mac?
Are you going to be getting Photoshop?
Is money an issue?
Do you have any experience with either?

If money is an issue and you are on a PC, Corel is a no brainer. It has way more bang for the buck.

Once you get into more than just signs, the line gets a little blurry. I have quite a few print only designers who get the job done with their Corel but they still use In Design and Photoshop for page layout and photo manipulation. Now that Adobe has bought Macromedia, who knows what will happen to Illustrator, there has been talk of Illustrator having more Freehand tools, but they may keep Freehand for a while too.

Don't be fooled that Corel is prefered for sign design, or Illustrator is for graphic design, they are both great tools for both. It's just where you are going to take your business.

I have both, prefer Illustrator over Corel. It's not because Illustrator is better, it's easier for me to use, it serves my purpose because it playes nicer with my Flexi, Photoshop, InDesign, Acrobat, Quark, AutoCAD, GoLive, my vendors and with CadTools I can do my drafting in Illutrator and keep a usable file for sign companies to make the sign.

Jackpine

Corel! I've used it for signs and designing. I print from it to PrintTech ( Motoh). Started with version 1 and now on X3.

Cadmn

corel but then I tend to "Dance with the one that brung me " Illistrators learning curve is tough on me "old dog"

Techman

I have both,, but only start Illy when a customer sends me an AI file..
I use Corel draw x3 for just abotu everything.

geedub

We have them both, corel never gets used, I don't see any reason for it, mainly because we use SignLab for vinyl cutting and sign design (a corel type program). Since our digital market has exploded 99% of my work is done in illustrator, and if you're doing digital stuff, you MUST have illustrator. I wouldn't say get either or, I'd say get both, and make sure you are versed in both, the last thing you want is a customer that knows what they're talking about (yes, few and far between) asking you a bunch of questions that you have no idea, he will take his business elsewhere. Design is what gets the customer in the door, production is what keeps them coming back. If they aren't coming in the door, then they'll never come back.

Ken

There seems to be a lack of plug-ins for corel. I will use photoshop to utilize the plug-ins that I have then export that to Corel as a .tiff file , then add text etc. for out-put to my versacamm.
Really, you need both corel and AI. and photoshop...and a .pdf reader/compiler.
I find corel to be way more user friendly (intuitve) than AI.
This is easy to say..in practise it gets quite confusing jumping from one program to the other. They do very similar things but using differnt commands, keystrokes..and protocols. But you need to be able to handle incoming files from your clients, therfore the necessecity to have at least these four programs in your arsenal.
Then there is the software that comes with your cut/print machine. Toss that into the mix..I'm surprised I'm still working at all...LOL. No..I'm kidding...
I wish you the best of luck. It has been..still is.. a challenge for my 50 something brain. But they say a good mental exercise will keep your brain agile..get ready to exercise...
Quick answer is Corel.
Ken

iSign

I agree that they are not automatically mutually exclusive & some people may find a use for both, but I am more in line with the thought that it is one or the other. For me it is Illustrator. Actually I do have both, but I just bought Corel for the fonts. I also used it to open the 3 Corel files I've received from clients in the last 10 years. (I've probably received 150 illustrator files in that time as well)

Also, if a client knows his way around Corel, he will also know he can save any corel file to where I can open it in Illustrator.

If any Corel guys has a need to ask a bunch of questions about Corel, there is absolutely no reason to fear them "taking their business elsewhere" because a professional designer (one of us) is well versed in Illustrator, the industry standard professional illustration software, & has chosen not to be equally well versed in Corel, the lower cost alternative. This is no slight against the extensive functionality of Corel... but you generally don't have two industry leaders.

Techman

There seems to be a lack of plug-ins for corel. I will use photoshop to utilize the plug-ins
There is no lack of plugins for Corel. All plugins that work in Photoshop will work with Corel Photopaint..

Checkers

I'm a self taught Corel fan, and prefer it over Illustrator and Photoshop. I do have older versions of Adobe's products, because they are considered the standard in the graphic design and print industry.
Corel offers more bang for the buck. You get the full creative suite, vector & raster drawing & manipulation, tracing, & animation, plus a few other minor bells and whistles. It also comes with a lot clip art, fonts and more, for around the cost of one program from Adobe. Corel has no problem with supporting open type and it comes with Bitstream's Font Navigator, which is a dream when it comes to font management. But, as it's been pointed out, it's a little weak on the color management side.
Adobe's products play quite well together and color management is a dream. I beleive all of their products come with Gamma, an easy to use monitor calibration program that gets you one step closoer to a good color management system. Plus, once you set up your color management for one program, you can easily incorporate it into the other adobe products.
Rick asked some very good questions that you really need to answer before you make a commitment to either. But, no matter what you choose, you may discover that there is not one tool that can do it all perfectly.

Checkers