• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Corel x5 and Mac?

Thinking of picking up a new mac, have always been a windows guy, I use versaworks on a vp540 daily with both corel and adobe, I fall back on corel most of the time while getting better with illustrator daily but dont want to leave the safety of the shoreline by not being able to use corel on a new Imac.
I know I can run window on the mac but would rather run corel native to the mac.
Thanks in advance for any advice and guidance, the web is full of "advice" but lets face it, this is the only safe place to get SOUND ADVICE lol....:clapping:

WildWestDesigns

On Coral's website for the Design Suite 5 they only list Windows in their system requirements, so I would imagine if it's not listed assume that it isn't supported.

Now for painter it is supported and listed as such on their website. Why it isn't for the graphics suite, I don't know.

The Vector Doctor

Chief Bezier Manipulator
Thinking of picking up a new mac, have always been a windows guy, I use versaworks on a vp540 daily with both corel and adobe, I fall back on corel most of the time while getting better with illustrator daily but dont want to leave the safety of the shoreline by not being able to use corel on a new Imac.
I know I can run window on the mac but would rather run corel native to the mac.
Thanks in advance for any advice and guidance, the web is full of "advice" but lets face it, this is the only safe place to get SOUND ADVICE lol....:clapping:

You cannot run windows programs "natively" on the mac from within the operating system. You have 2 options. You can boot into windows on a Mac but cannot use the Mac programs at the same time and vice versa. You will also need to buy a separate copy of some form of Windows in order to do so (xp, Windows7). You will have to restart the computer each time you want to use Mac or windows but not the same time. It is called Boot Camp

Or you can buy Parallels or Fusion which allows you to run both Mac and Windows at the same time without restarting. But you will still need to buy a copy of the Windows OS.

There is no Corel program made specifically for the Mac. I believe the last version that Corel made FOR the mac was version 10?

WildWestDesigns

There is no Corel program made specifically for the Mac. I believe the last version that Corel made FOR the mac was version 10?

Painter has been design for MAC as well as Windows.

I had to install the DMG file on my mom's macbook as well as the ole ball and chaines airmac.

I don't understand why they do that for Painter and not the other programs, but who knows. Painter has a lot of different things going on for it than Draw I have found out recently.

Bill Modzel

If you're learning Illustrator, now's the time to jump in with both feet with your new iMac.
You still have Corel on your windows box so what do you have to loose? You can network them also and open your corel files in Illustrator also if you need to.

The Vector Doctor

Chief Bezier Manipulator
Painter has been design for MAC as well as Windows.

I had to install the DMG file on my mom's macbook as well as the ole ball and chaines airmac.

I don't understand why they do that for Painter and not the other programs, but who knows. Painter has a lot of different things going on for it than Draw I have found out recently.

Yeah, I meant Coreldraw

If you're learning Illustrator, now's the time to jump in with both feet with your new iMac.
You still have Corel on your windows box so what do you have to loose? You can network them also and open your corel files in Illustrator also if you need to.

lol.. keeping the windows for sure but gonna test the waters on the new mac this weekend, daddy always said "dont test the water with both feet" sound advice in most cases.. :p
Thanks for the advice and guidance here, top notch as usual!:notworthy:

Bobby H

Arial Sucks.
BUMP.

The Vector Doctor said:

I think CorelDRAW 11 was the only version made available for Windows and Mac OSX. Corel abandoned the effort of supporting OSX probably due to poor sales. I've rarely ever heard a Mac user say anything positive about CorelDRAW. Most arrived at their negative judgment without ever having used the application. The typical attitude was "eww, Corel," without offering any specifics. Adobe Illustrator and Aldus/Macromedia Freehand were more fashionable.

I use both CorelDRAW and Adobe Illustrator. I consider CorelDRAW a must-have application for some of the unique features it has that are still not found in Adobe Illustrator. The work space in CorelDRAW is far larger and allows me to design just about any kind of sign at full size.

Version CS 5.1 of Adobe Illustrator has a few more Corel-style features. But I consider it CorelDRAW far easier to use in developing technical drawings and complicated vector-based objects. Something as simple as anchor point alignment is easy in Corel. It's still a stupid pain in Illustrator. For a very long time Illustrator didn't even provide a way align anchor points, much less even align two objects while keeping one object locked in place. Corel has been able to do both things since at least version 3.

I'm using Illustrator and InDesign more and more. But for certain things I still fire up CorelDRAW. It, and my investment in fonts, are the two things keeping me bound to the Windows platform.