• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Coroplast Stinger board

CanuckSigns

Has anyone used this stuff?

http://stinger.coroplast.com/

I ordered a few sheets for a client that wanted a lightweight temporary substrate without the flutes showing through.

it advertises a "Extremely smooth solid surface" however when i mounted a digital print onto it, this is the result

Is this standard with this material? does anyone have any experience with the stinger board?

Attachments

• wavy gravy.jpg
    wavy gravy.jpg
    32.3 KB · Views: 292

graphicwarning

I have had limited experience with it, but we printed directly on it, and did not apply vinyl.

It's odd your picture... its as though it crushed the honeycomb structure and showed the center...

How did you apply the vinyl?

CanuckSigns

I have had limited experience with it, but we printed directly on it, and did not apply vinyl.

It's odd your picture... its as though it crushed the honeycomb structure and showed the center...

How did you apply the vinyl?

i applied the vinyl with our laminator, but i didn't crush it, I can feel the slight texture in the board before I run it through the machine.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Correct me if I'm wrong, but with a 'Honeycomb' type product there are no flutes running the length or width of your material, but perpendicular to your face. This results in a very strong product for lotsa uses, but being smooth doesn't necessarily equate to seeing no indentations as we're used to seeing with Cor-X type products which are corrugated, and not honeycomb, like in the paper world of paper honeycomb products.

I'm probably wrong, but for $22 or whatever it costs, if it fits your/your customer's needs, then use it.... otherwise, I see no benefit or problem either way.

TammieH

perhaps by using a matte lam, you would not see the honeycomb as much...I don't think its horrible regardless

CanuckSigns

thanks everyone, I don't think it's a bad product, in fact i'm pretty impressed with the strength of it, it can't be crushed by hand and it seems to take abuse better than coroplast does.

The issue i have is calling it an "extremely smooth surface", One would assume that to be on par with PVC or Aluminum or some other substrate we in the industry consider smooth,

CanuckSigns

It's strange... when I used it, I found it very smooth and didn't see any of the issues you pictured. Is it possible to have a bad sheet?

How does it look without the vinyl... is it smooth as expected?

No even without the vinyl you can see the wavy pattern in it, I called my supplier any they checked their stock, it's all like that, they did agree that it shouldn't be called a smooth product, hopefully they will change it on their website.

TXFB.INS

for 22 per sheet why not use PVC?

no crush factor and a tried true smooth surface

the pattern is unique and can see it being used as part of the design

a77

I have had the same experience, wasn't overly happy with textured surface. On some boards it is more noticeable than others. I think it might have something to do with how it's stored/handled. If you happen to press hard on it, the pattern is more apparent.

As for why not use PVC, yes PVC is nice and smooth but not stiff. This has stiffness in all directions.. similar to gatorboard/ultraboard.

I've never used it, but I'm definitely getting a sheet in. I'm with others here, I like the look better than seeing the flutes in Coro. If it's structurally stronger in all directions, unlike coro, it seems like it would have good uses for cheap, temp signage.