• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Suggestions Coroplast That Is Laser Cuttable

bigben

I'm looking for a economical material in the coroplast price range, around 4mm thick (1/8in) and could be cut with a co2 laser. It as to be good for outdoor use like coroplast and printable with a UV printer.

Is there any material on the market that would fit this description?

ChrisN

Coroplast (the brand name and I suppose most generics) is corrugated polypropylene. PVC is what damages lasers (and the operators), since it releases chlorine gas.

bigben

Coroplast (the brand name and I suppose most generics) is corrugated polypropylene. PVC is what damages lasers (and the operators), since it releases chlorine gas.

So just to be clear, it's safe, for the machine and me, to cut coroplast with a laser?

bigben

Try it and see, then let us know, instead of us all guessing about it. :covereyes:

I don't have a laser yet. And even if I did I wouldn't try and damage the machine. This is why I'm asking to the peoples who have the experience and/or know the answer for sure. If I can't have the answer here I will continue my research and report it here.

ChrisN

Try it and see, then let us know, instead of us all guessing about it. :covereyes:

:goodpost:

I don't have a laser, but I wouldn't be afraid to try it. However, I think my flatbed cutter would do a better job. Did you even google "laser cut coroplast"? That's where most of my knowledge comes from...

Here's a link to a pdf with details about laser cutting & engraving different types of plastic: http://www.synrad.com/synradinside/pdfs/LaserProcessingGuide_Plastics.pdf
http://www.synrad.com/synradinside/pdfs/LaserProcessingGuide_Plastics.pdf
Good luck!:cool:

Signchief

I think this would be a great question for a sales rep since not all lasers are equal. That's what they Are getting paid for..

rossmosh

I think this would be a great question for a sales rep since not all lasers are equal. That's what they Are getting paid for..

Sales reps know the bare minimum in my experience. There are exceptions to the rule but that's been my experience.

The answer is Coroplast is safe to cut on the laser. It's not the best material as it's not solid thus making it cut less than consistently. It won't cut poorly, but it also won't cut as well as wood or acrylic.

MikePro

lol. you are correct. cutting PVC emits chlorine gas, which damages components of the laser.
do NOT just "try and see if it works". plenty of threads in this forum discussing the headaches of such attempts.

you should be looking into a CNC router table and the proper bits to cut coroplast clean.