• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Cortisone Shots

MikeSTK

Dawns Vinyl Designs
Shots and alternatives

Certainly I am not a doctor. I've had the shots as well as a number of people around me.

My take is it really depends on the person / severity of the issue. I would have agreed to amputation on my wrist 2 years ago. Got the shot and although it aches here and there it settled down overall.

I did notice mentally I began avoiding use of that wrist ( I am right handed and now tend to do things lefty without thinking about it, even grabbing a coffee pot). So? is the lack of use the real "fix" or did the shot do the job?

Others I know revisit pain every 6 months and others every 18 months. I would suggest riding it out to see how you react. Seems some find it a miracle and some no real improvement.

I do know that when it was at the peak I would have tried acupuntcure, witch doctors or some guy in an alley who fixes that! Nothing is worse than the doctor looking at test results and shrugging telling you there's nothing they can do. Not thier fault but not too cool either.

On a positive thought do not rule out physical therapy. I've seen miraculous results first hand. I can't wrap my head around how the silly excersises do the trick but WOW!

Best of luck!

cdiesel

I had two shots in my back two years ago for a herniated disc. Doc said it was one of the worst he'd seen, and didn't expect the shots to work. He was recommending going straight to surgery, but I wasn't too keen on having part of my vertibrae removed.

The first shot worked within 24 hours, and lasted about three weeks. I went back the following week and got the second shot. That time it took a little longer to kick in, and didn't help as much as the first. I had decided in my head on a Friday night to call on Monday and schedule surgery. Funny, but by Monday I absolutely no pain at all. Been fine ever since.

SlightlyChilled

Auto and I are in the same boat. But when I got my shot they used this spray and I had no clue he was in my arm. it took a week to kick in and was cool for a bit now it's so so. from what I was told you need to work on building up the mussels.

Sticky Signs

Long story short, I had to get an X-ray assisted shot into my ankle joint. This came after 3 years of walking on a miss-diagnosed ankle break / surgery / major joint infection / second surgery to clear infection. My ankle felt absolutely great for about one week. The shot wore off and I've come to accept pain as an everyday reality. Thank GAWD for BEER!!!
I hope your shoulder works out better for you.

Jillbeans

I have tendinitis in both my wrist and my shoulder.
I was being a good samaritan and helping an older friend by scrubbing and painting his icky sticky kitchen ceiling and really did a number on myself.
I did get the cortisone shots on my shoulder, which hurt, but didn't make any noticeable difference.
It took about 6 months for it to heal and it's still not right (can't sleep on that side) but massage was much more beneficial.
Love....Jill

signmeup

I have tendinitis in both my wrist and my shoulder.
I was being a good samaritan and helping an older friend by scrubbing and painting his icky sticky kitchen ceiling and really did a number on myself.
I did get the cortisone shots on my shoulder, which hurt, but didn't make any noticeable difference.
It took about 6 months for it to heal and it's still not right (can't sleep on that side) but massage was much more beneficial.
Love....Jill
Yup. That's just what I found. I did my shoulders in digging fence post holes in the ground from hell. 80 post holes 3 feet deep into stoney ground in two days. Lifting the 40 pound pinch bar 50,000 times to break up the ground is what got me. The massage therapist got them back to 95% cured but they're still not quite right. That was 2 years ago. Getting old sucks. Of course the alternative isn't all that great...

I also have "golfers elbow" on both sides from attempting to curl 135 pounds. (I weigh 148) (That was 7 years ago.) That's where I got the cortizone shots. (in the elbows)

I would be in great shape if I stopped doing stupid things.

Last edited:

Sign-Man Signs

I get a shot every 6 months on my left knee which is now bone to bone. No problems. Been getting them about 5 years now. To hard headed to get the knee replaced.

signmeup

I get a shot every 6 months on my left knee which is now bone to bone. No problems. Been getting them about 5 years now. To hard headed to get the knee replaced.
Geez... bone to bone sounds like a problem to me! What the heck did you do to get like that!?

Sign-Man Signs

Geez... bone to bone sounds like a problem to me! What the heck did you do to get like that!?
Torn meniscus, two surgeries to scrap. Just worn out now. Doc wants to do a total knee. As long as the shots and pains pills work on really bad days, I'm happy.

signmeup

haha....I was gonna ask how many "reps" you do.
I haven't been able to lift weights for years after that incident. Apparently I have a high tolerance for pain and that's how I was able to tear up both elbows... stubburness.

I'm just getting back into weights. I'm doing 40 reps with 10 pounds each arm to start. Elbow seems to be holding so far. Baby steps.

Isag... slowly build up strength after you get your shoulder mended it should help prevent further injury.

knucklehead

I'm a puss, saw the needle and got up and headed out the door. Told the doc to do something creative with his needle.

S

SignTech

Great responses thanks ........ got a call today from Rex ... some good advise.

Shoulder feels about 70% better (free'er) since the shot on Tuesday, but not 100%. I am sure it will take time ... will see ... the hardest task are putting on a coat or t shirt, because the arm tends to flip back in a snap motion if you get what I mean.

I have to say the forties have been a challenge ... I never had so much as a bad cold up until 40 - always in great shape. Maybe the fifties will calm down lol ...

signmeup

Great responses thanks ........ got a call today from Rex ... some good advise.

Shoulder feels about 70% better (free'er) since the shot on Tuesday, but not 100%. I am sure it will take time ... will see ... the hardest task are putting on a coat or t shirt, because the arm tends to flip back in a snap motion if you get what I mean.

I have to say the forties have been a challenge ... I never had so much as a bad cold up until 40 - always in great shape. Maybe the fifties will calm down lol ...
No. As my 80 year old Pappy says,"It gets worse..."