• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Covering a bank of large slanted windows

gnubler

I got a request to come up with some ideas for covering/shading large windows that slant at about a 25 degree angle. See pics of inside and outside. This is in a higher end shopping mall for an eatery/wine bar. During the winter the sun is sitting low enough that it more or less turns the dining area into a solar oven, in the summer it's always overhead and not an issue. The windows are about 45" wide x 11 ft tall and already have tint on them, but not enough for shade. Customer wants something more decorative and custom than off-the-shelf vertical shades like they have in the kitchen area. They initially asked about perforated vinyl to create a mural covering all the windows, but due to the height, angle, and furnishings/fixtures that sounds like a major challenge, and pretty permanent.

Open to any ideas or suggestions.

20211118_115837.jpg

20211123_142146.jpg

gnubler

What kind of gravy? Has anyone done installs on slanted angles like this, going that high up? It would be a ladder job, there's no way to get a lift in there.

gnubler

An awning or roll up sun shades. Perf would wreck the view and IMO be pretty tacky.
I agree, which is why I'm pushing for something adjustable. The property owner gave the tenant (my customer) approval to do window vinyl, but I'm still steering away from it. This is in a multi-tenant shopping mall and the shops upstairs might not be thrilled if all the windows are plastered for the benefit of one business...plus the whole loss of view thing.

signage

OP it seems every job that comes your way you are asking how to handle it........how much experience do you have?

signage

Not much, still in my first year in business. Have to learn somehow.
You do not start a business without either having experience or hiring someone that has lots of experience! Asking on a forum can cause one a lot of headaches! Just because someone can tell you a way does't mean you can do it or that it is even the correct or best one. Good Luck!

gnubler

Usually this is where Gino steps in to give me a lesson. Is he napping today? I agree with you, however life doesn't always work out like it 'should' and I'm giving this opportunity my best shot. And I disagree about your forum comment - I've asked a lot of questions here and gotten a lot of really helpful answers that led to successful jobs and installations.

signage

I guess then hopefully it keeps working out that way for you!

I think you just need to get on your big boy pants and start figuring it out for yourself. Then coming and asking if it is the correct way or even a good way!

Johnny Best

Not much, still in my first year in business. Have to learn somehow.
I do not think you learn about how to think up ideas for something like this or your other jobs you posted on here. Why not think for yourself and do the job and then come back on and tell us how you did it. Your like the Scarecrow wanting us to give you a brain. Note: you already have one between your ears. Maybe you are smarter than us.

Notarealsignguy

Arial - it's almost helvetica
I started my business the same way. You'll figure it out and in 10 years be here telling other people they're stupid. One thing that helped me move forward is realizing when your product/service is not a good fit for the customer. It saves you time and gives you a good reputation.
For this job, I personally hate window perf. I also don't like screens. Looking through it screws with my eyes and it looks low class.

gnubler

You'll figure it out and in 10 years be here telling other people they're stupid.
I figure it's payback for all the newbies and morons I lambasted and scared off on my old forum in a former life, so I have zero problem with the lectures and abuse I get here. And I'm not the only member here looking for suggestions and tips, that's what a trade forum is for. Before the internet existed, it was magazines or chatting with colleagues/elders for brainstorming ideas. I'm just a one person shop, so there's really no one to bounce ideas off of.

Anyway, I agree about the perf, which was what the customer initially requested, and want to steer them more toward doing vertical banners or fabric shades of some kind. They want a bunch of other signage for the restaurant which I can figure out on my own, it was the huge windows that left me wondering the best route to take. If anyone's done something similar please post a pic of your work.

signage

I got a request to come up with some ideas for covering/shading large windows that slant at about a 25 degree angle. See pics of inside and outside. This is in a higher end shopping mall for an eatery/wine bar. During the winter the sun is sitting low enough that it more or less turns the dining area into a solar oven, in the summer it's always overhead and not an issue. The windows are about 45" wide x 11 ft tall and already have tint on them, but not enough for shade. Customer wants something more decorative and custom than off-the-shelf vertical shades like they have in the kitchen area. They initially asked about perforated vinyl to create a mural covering all the windows, but due to the height, angle, and furnishings/fixtures that sounds like a major challenge, and pretty permanent.

Open to any ideas or suggestions.

View attachment 156651

View attachment 156652
Above is your original post
That's what I did, see first post.

All i can see is the customer asked/suggested Perf! I don't see your idea!

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Gubber, if I wanna take a nap, what's it to ya ?? Could you please let me do it without your dumb remarks ?? I had something to offer, but forget it. I don't feel like it now. Happy Thanksgiving.

Texas_Signmaker

Very Active Signmaker
I figure it's payback for all the newbies and morons I lambasted and scared off on my old forum in a former life, so I have zero problem with the lectures and abuse I get here. And I'm not the only member here looking for suggestions and tips, that's what a trade forum is for. Before the internet existed, it was magazines or chatting with colleagues/elders for brainstorming ideas. I'm just a one person shop, so there's really no one to bounce ideas off of.

Anyway, I agree about the perf, which was what the customer initially requested, and want to steer them more toward doing vertical banners or fabric shades of some kind. They want a bunch of other signage for the restaurant which I can figure out on my own, it was the huge windows that left me wondering the best route to take. If anyone's done something similar please post a pic of your work.
Message me your email and I'll send you pics of a Toyota Dealership I did. I printed perf black and added subtle graphics to it. Just because it's 100% perf coverage doesn't mean you use it all for graphics which can be tacky. I did their sales office and they said it made a huge difference and now want all the windows done...

gnubler

Thanks Tex, can you put pics in a private message? If not I'll send you an email address.

The thing is I realllllly don't want to do perf (or any kind of vinyl) on these windows. As I mentioned the access is really tight with restaurant fixtures, plus the angle of the windows, plus being up on ladders with long lengths of vinyl. It's full of people all day, every day, so I'd request after hours access. Honestly, it sounds like a nightmare job that I'd rather pass on and I'm okay with that. I'm going to do some image searching of vertical banner installations like this (fabric, not vinyl) and maybe share a few here for your comments. Thanks.