• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

CPU Boot Prob w/EDGE connected...

Arlo Kalon 2.0

I asked about this long ago and tried the few suggestions then, but none worked. Thought I'd give it another go in case someone has a flash of brilliance.

Before I boot up in the morning, I have to remember to disconnect the EDGE from the parallel port, or the WinXP opening screen (with the scrolling little blue boxes) freezes and will go no further. THEN, I have to remember sometime later to connect the EDGE again if I'm gonna print.

The CPU is a good machine, AMD near top of line processor (forgot which), 512 RAM, and has absolutely no other quirks. Any fresh thoughts on what's happening here?

THANKS!!!

jayhawksigns

Yeah, the Gerber.:Big Laugh

Shovelhead's idea is worth a shot. Is this something that always has happened with this computer?? Have you ever run the Gerber on a different computer, did it run Windows XP??

Fred Weiss

Merchant Member
With my old system (win98 se P2-450), I would get a no power reaction if my Edge was turned on first. Switched the Edge with a loaner an it did the same thing. Tried both Edges on a matching workstation and it did the same thing. Concluded it was something to do with the way the two machines saw eachother. Never caused any damage.

Now I have a new XP box and no more problem. Same Edge and same cables.

Do you see any difference on booting up if the Edge is powered on or off?

Arlo Kalon 2.0

Fred Weiss said:
Do you see any difference on booting up if the Edge is powered on or off?

Nope. And this is an otherwise excellent computer - don't feel like buying another just to fix this. HAS to be a plausible explanation. Just haven't found it yet!

JMDigital

A DAVE 800 said:
Nope. And this is an otherwise excellent computer - don't feel like buying another just to fix this. HAS to be a plausible explanation. Just haven't found it yet!

How is the parallel port configured. ECP/EPP BI-Directional.? Try changing the type in the bios. I dont know what the EDGE requires but it most likely does not need a bi-directional port. I have seen weird things when the port is set to bi0directional .. it uses a pair of wires in the cable to recieve data from the printer... it could be confusing things...

Just my 2 cents worth...

Let us know if that does anything...

Cadmn

JMDigital said:
How is the parallel port configured. ECP/EPP BI-Directional.? Try changing the type in the bios. I dont know what the EDGE requires but it most likely does not need a bi-directional port. I have seen weird things when the port is set to bi0directional .. it uses a pair of wires in the cable to recieve data from the printer... it could be confusing things... & key might be its not recieving anything & may be hanging waiting on response Dave make sure bios on all systems match for the Lpt port usually in bios to be ecp or epp make sure sam on good & bad system & one might be set to halt on errors & one might not be you got my number if you want to discuss it.

Just my 2 cents worth...

Let us know if that does anything...
:wine-smi:

Arlo Kalon 2.0

Cadmn said:

Caddinator... your post, wherein you completely quoted the post above you but added nothing but the anim. gif, has me baffled.

Did it simply mean... kinda like "ditto"?

Well, Cad, guess when I'm seein' some daylight I'm gonna see if you can stop by again and the I'll demonstrate the prob for ya - mebbe you'll have a brilliant flash. Then, when your vision clears from it - ya can have a go at fixing this annoying routine!

Fred Weiss

Merchant Member
What he did Dave was to post his comments inside the quote tags. If you compare the original post to his you will see where he began. Kinda confusin' buy hey ... it's his birthday.

K

kevco

It won't help you any Dave but my box dose the same thing when I have my camera plugged into the dock, won't go past the boot screen. Please let us know if you fix it and how you did it. Maybe it will help with mine

Cadmn

dave what I stated if I can rember is that in bios your computer might be set to halt on all errors at which if its looking for an answer from EPP then it will halt
Basically & yes noticed upon post that it wrapped it into the quote
& wish I had had the drinkie, I'd have a better reason to feel like poop today

signage

Dave did you get this figured out? Which edge do you have edge or edge 2? If its an edge 2 from what I understand your parallel port needs to be configured to ECP, people over on 4edgetalk are having problems getting edge 2 to work on new machines. So let us know if you got it working or what the setting are for your parallel port.

Tony Teveris

Dave's problem should not have anything to do with the ECP mode since we are not communicating with the Edge on power up.

If it's an Edge II the Edge itself and Windows are attempting to figure out what is attacted to the computer (new hardware detected). This could be the problem. The other maybe a "grounding" problem where something in the connection is pulling a "signal" down and cause the computer to be constantly interrupted to service the device interrupt.

The problem many "I got a new computer" users are having is that the parallel port no longer supports ECP mode. I think this is all coming about because interface and chip manufacturers are nickel and dimeing everything they build.

You can really see this in new paper printers today which I can explain if anyone wants to know.

signage

Tony there are two types of EPP, do either of the work with the edge 2? I just got an edge 2 and haven't attempted to hook to my newest desk top due to the location of this machine and it not having an ECP setting. I was trying to research the differences in the two types, it looks like the one type is supposed to be compatible with ECP. What is it the Edge 2 that requires the ECP mode? I would rather be running the edge 2 on the newer machine due to faster processor and more RAM. Just don't want to move it to new location and install software to find out that it doesn't work. I have been over to 4edgetalk and saw that one person claimed they got a new card and had it working and you said you got one and can not get it working. Everyone I talk to about this said that the one version of EPP should work, then questions me on what the piece of equipment need to only work in ECP parallel port and I can not tell them! I thought that maybe Dave had his working on a new machine and may have had it set one of the two EPP modes.

Thanks for any info,
Brian