• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Crashing when importing EPS files

Colin

I have my new computer (XP) up & running and thanks to a computer genius friend, have my good ol' Scanvec Inspire Expert 1.6 working (as I had on my old XP computer). But now it won't import EPS files, it just crashes when I try to do this.

Any ideas?

Fred Weiss

Merchant Member
I would suspect the EPS file is too high a version or written by an application that doesn't output the flavor of EPS your Inspire likes to read. Have you opened the file in anything else with correct results?

The first thing I would do is open the file in Illustrator and resave it as a version 3.

Colin,

What software and version created the eps? I am assuming these are older files, that you already made. If so, try to delete and reload the software that you are using to import.

Very often, when building a new machine, the order of installation can make a huge difference, by changing the dll files. It does not mean that something is bad, just a certain way for all the software to co-exist.

Email or PM, if you like, we will try and help as much as possible.

Colin

Thanks. This is occuring with any & all EPS files. This software never used to have this problem.

The error window that first comes up says:

"Standard"
(null) file not found or wrong.
[ ok ].

Then when I click on that, I get the "Terminal error" message......"will now shut down".

I am presently importing into CorelDraw 12, enlarging the image, then copying & pasting into Inspire to get around this, but I'd really like to have it fixed.

Interesting ideas on dll files George, I'm all ears.

Arlo Kalon 2.0

Aren't computers fun? Mine had a hard drive total apocalypse yesterday. Quite "fortunately", it occured about 20 minutes after I had mirrored my hard drive onto a swappable backup. It was the first total backup I had done in around 2 months... it was quite weird - the thought of doing the backup HIT me soon as I walked in the door, & I didn't want to, but did it anyway. Then came the crash. If I had skipped the backing up I'd have lost a few months worth of big new job files!

BTW... concerning your problem - it always seems to be an eps file when ya run into problems. I tried opening one today with every program I have. They were all just the box with an X in it.

Tony Teveris

The <null> in the error message gives me a hint that some file that was on the older machine is NOT being found on your new setup.

If the old machine is still around compare the installed folders on both and see if anything is different.

Colin

Tony Teveris said:
The <NULL>in the error message gives me a hint that some file that was on the older machine is NOT being found on your new setup.

If the old machine is still around compare the installed folders on both and see if anything is different.

The old computer is now in the house. Aren't there hundreds if not thousands of files to look through? How would I know what to look for.

damn computers

I have my new computer (XP) up & running and thanks to a computer genius friend, have my good ol' Scanvec Inspire Expert 1.6 working (as I had on my old XP computer). But now it won't import EPS files, it just crashes when I try to do this.

Any ideas?

Yes, however I am afraid that you may not like my answer. Inspire was not written for XP. If I remember correctly it was written for Windows 98. I think that I may know the answer to what is happening. The technical term is buffer overflow. The memory handling in 98 and XP are totally different. When you import an eps file it uses two different parts of the program to import. The first is a parser. The second is an interpreter. I have no idea what parser or interpreter they used in Inspire. I think they may have written it themselves. I have only used Inspire a few times before deleting off my computer. It was so slow – and crashed every time that I tried to anything fancy. I guess that is why Scanvec bought Amiable and got rid of it for FlexiSign. So when you import an eps file, the file is scanned into memory. This is where the problem is occurring. The parser with its lookup tables then takes over. So as Inspire apparently was very buggy and full of serious memory leaks then it no wonder that with NTFS partition (if you have this on XP it is 99% certain to have NTFS -- if it is a new machine) instead of good ole FAT32 in 98 it crashes. You are trying to put a round peg into a definitely square hole.
So here are your two solution if you really have to use this software.
<!--[if !supportLists]-->1.[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]<!--[endif]-->Uninstall XP and (back up all your files of course) and reinstall using FAT32. (You are then more open to viruses and other nasties as not being able to have large files sizes or big partitions. ) XP is not really meant to run under FAT32. All sorts of unexpected things will happen.
<!--[if !supportLists]-->2.[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]<!--[endif]-->Uninstall XP and reinstall Windows 98.
Sorry I cannot offer any more suggestions except to buy another software package programmed for XP..