• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Creating complex weeding lines

taggianto

So one of our biggest clients has this dot pattern that gets put onto the windows at all their locations. Every dot gets cut out individually. One location can have 20+ feet of dots that go onto 8'-10' high windows. I'm trying to find a way to create weeding lines for this behemoth.

image_2023-02-15_164301364.png

This is the current master cut file, just the dots:

image_2023-02-15_164633858.png

This is an illustrator file that gets saved as a PDF, ripped through Onyx Thrive 22, printed on an Epson S80600, and cut on a Graphtec FC9000-160. I'm open to any and all suggestions that don't involve creating lines one-by-one for thousands of dots...

Thank you!

taggianto

I'd ask them if they are ok with it being printed on clear with a white back layer on the dots. Should yield similar results with a lot less work.
Unfortunately, this is the third year my company will be doing locations for them and the cut vinyl is the look they want. (or else yes, I agree that would be SO much easier)

GAC05

Quit buggin' me
So one of our biggest clients has this dot pattern that gets put onto the windows at all their locations. Every dot gets cut out individually. One location can have 20+ feet of dots that go onto 8'-10' high windows. I'm trying to find a way to create weeding lines for this behemoth.

View attachment 164024

This is the current master cut file, just the dots:

View attachment 164025

This is an illustrator file that gets saved as a PDF, ripped through Onyx Thrive 22, printed on an Epson S80600, and cut on a Graphtec FC9000-160. I'm open to any and all suggestions that don't involve creating lines one-by-one for thousands of dots...

Thank you!
Looks like the pattern is mirrored and repeating so you just need cut lines for one section copied onto the next repeat. Can you post up that sample you have there in vector?

taggianto

Looks like the pattern is mirrored and repeating so you just need cut lines for one section copied onto the next repeat. Can you post up that sample you have there in vector?
Unfortunately, I can't share the client's assets, thanks tho.

Use ecut for coreldraw or illustrator. Very cheap and fantastic allinone tool
Our IT department blocks their website because it's Russian. If this is a viable solution I can call them and see about getting it unblocked however.

Can you not just add a wavy cut line in-between each row of dots? Are you printing the exact same pattern each time?
That's what I'd like to know how to do without having to draw each section between dots individually. If I just draw a solid line, Onyx will cut all the dots in half.

Gerber Omega 7 has a feature that automatically allows weed lines to go straight through without cutting the graphic itself. I'm not sure if Cutting Master, Graphtec Pro, or Flexi do the same.

JBurton

Signtologist
The problem is the dots aren't uniform in the least for vertical weed lines. These programs won't create irregular lines around objects, just straight ones.
So options are to print and plot and then hand place all the weedlines with your knife in hand, or sit in your comfy chair and draw a few dozen lines for the plotter to run. Looks simple enough for the bezier tool...
Or you could add outside contours until they start to overlap, which causes them to weld together, hopefully they are spaced apart vertically different than horizontally, so they weld together at different degrees, allowing you to stop adding an offset when one run welds together, break it apart, and use that wavy line for the weed line.
Or just draw vertical lines, then use the trim feature to generate an outline. Of course! It won't give you pretty weed lines, and it will double cut some areas, but it will give you 1" (or whatever) strips that you only have to worry about the dots within that region, definitely better than nothing.
1676588044551.png

taggianto

The problem is the dots aren't uniform in the least for vertical weed lines. These programs won't create irregular lines around objects, just straight ones.
So options are to print and plot and then hand place all the weedlines with your knife in hand, or sit in your comfy chair and draw a few dozen lines for the plotter to run. Looks simple enough for the bezier tool...
Or you could add outside contours until they start to overlap, which causes them to weld together, hopefully they are spaced apart vertically different than horizontally, so they weld together at different degrees, allowing you to stop adding an offset when one run welds together, break it apart, and use that wavy line for the weed line.
Or just draw vertical lines, then use the trim feature to generate an outline. Of course! It won't give you pretty weed lines, and it will double cut some areas, but it will give you 1" (or whatever) strips that you only have to worry about the dots within that region, definitely better than nothing.
View attachment 164056
Awesome, thanks so much for the suggestions!

victor bogdanov

I think what I would do is weeding circles. Select all the circles, offset path some. Now you have a circle around each circle.

Pull away the bulk fast when weeding and then weed out each individual circle. Should go pretty fast weeding that way and minimal chance of losing any circles

Capture.JPG

JBurton

Signtologist
I think what I would do is weeding circles. Select all the circles, offset path some. Now you have a circle around each circle.

Pull away the bulk fast when weeding and then weed out each individual circle. Should go pretty fast weeding that way and minimal chance of losing any circles

View attachment 164073
I thought about this but it kinda doubles the number of parts to weed around. Yours traced out much smoother than mine.

MGB_LE

What ended up being the solutiuon here? That's question 1. Question 2 is: how does estimating price this to capture the labor required? Do they have an understanding of the workflow?

MGB_LE

Unfortunately, this is the third year my company will be doing locations for them and the cut vinyl is the look they want. (or else yes, I agree that would be SO much easier)
As true as this is, it's possible that the cost could be significantly less if printing panels on clear subtrate with white on back for opacity and ease of installation? Enough to change minds and still have a similar look.