• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Custom cutting 10MM corrugated plastic

mudmedia

I have to cut hexagon shapes out of 10 MM corrugated plastic and wondering the best way to cut this stuff to get a nice clean smooth edge? They are roughly 4'x4' was thinking about cutting with a saw but not sure if it will bur up on the edges.

Any expert advice would be great!

Thanks

OlsonSigns601

What local shops can I call to try to gain access to one?

Engine Machine shops I would assume?

That what we did... found someone with a water jet to cut out some Alumacore panels to form huge 24' sign.

The vinyl cuts and the water jet cuts were perfect and right on.

TheSnowman

We just cut this one with a jig-saw with a fine blade in it last night. Make a stand for it now. It's a mascot for a race. Takes some sandpaper around it when you are done, but looks good in the end. Wasn't really too bad before sand paper. And yes, I know something is funky with her left arm (well, I guess it's her right). I just worked with what they gave me.

attachment.php

Attachments

• photo.jpg
    photo.jpg
    59.5 KB · Views: 169

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Putting the blade in backwards is basically an old wives' tale. Sure, people do it, but any blade, carbide or non... will cut in the normal fashion meant for blades to go just as well in aluminum up to 1/4" thick. Just not steel.. Use wood blades, they are cheaper and if you want... use a little cutting wax.

I tried doing that once.... putting the blade in backwards and it didn't do a blessed thing, except waste time. Made me look like a dork cutting something backwards.

mudmedia

Gino,

What teeth count blade do you use? I am not to concerned about getting edges cleaned up. Sandpaper is a good idea or a small file.

I am more concerned about cutting straight.

Thanks for the input S101ers!

Putting the blade in backwards is basically an old wives' tale. Sure, people do it, but any blade, carbide or non... will cut in the normal fashion meant for blades to go just as well in aluminum up to 1/4" thick. Just not steel.. Use wood blades, they are cheaper and if you want... use a little cutting wax.

I tried doing that once.... putting the blade in backwards and it didn't do a blessed thing, except waste time. Made me look like a dork cutting something backwards.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Crosscut or combination blade with 42 teeth is plenty. 80 is overkill. 180 ?? What in the world do you cut with that ?? Is that a 30" blade or sumptin for a mill cutting down logs ?? I'm talking regular 10" blades or so. 180 fine tooth is basically for super fine cutting of very thin substrates, laminates or veneers. You'd melt everything in your path with this blade unless you can control your speed.

DizzyMarkus

No Sir, 10" blade and it doesn't melt a thing if you don't "shove" it through along with the blade depth set correctly.

Sorry to offer

Markus

Sign Works

A hexagon only consists of straight lines therefore I would simply use a straight edge and an Exacto knife, wham bam done, with clean edges as well.