• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Question Custom Shaped Coroplast cut on graphtec?

ADuke

Hello,

We have a Graphtec FC8600. We do not have a router or substrate cutter in house. We have a customer that has asked us to cut coroplast in the shape of letters for their high school cheer-leading team. My boss asked me if we could score cut the coroplast on the graphtec. I told him I didn't think the machine was meant for cutting a rigid substrate and that it was probably too thick but I am not positive on this. so my question is, is it possible to cut coroplast on the graphtec? If so, do you need any special blades or add on equipment for the machine?

Thanks in advance!

S'N'S

Hello,

We have a Graphtec FC8600. We do not have a router or substrate cutter in house. We have a customer that has asked us to cut coroplast in the shape of letters for their high school cheer-leading team. My boss asked me if we could score cut the coroplast on the graphtec. I told him I didn't think the machine was meant for cutting a rigid substrate and that it was probably too thick but I am not positive on this. so my question is, is it possible to cut coroplast on the graphtec? If so, do you need any special blades or add on equipment for the machine?

Thanks in advance!

I definitely would not do that with my cutter.

You could do like Gino says, except I'd cut cheap vinyl, apply it to the coro and then cut it with a utility knife. Or you could find someone with a laser engraver like I mentioned in your other thread.

Solventinkjet

DIY Printer Fixing Guide
The maximum media thickness for that machine is 1.48mm. Your standard 1/8th inch coro is more than double that thickness. Even if you just want to score it, you will have to lift the blade holder up to an unnatural position, cover the media sensors to trick the machine into thinking it is loaded normally, find a way to have the pinch rollers not crush the coro, find a way for the pinch rollers to be able to go down enough to register as down so the cutter knows to go measure it, and even after all that, the quality would be horrendous. In short, that machine was not made to do anything close to what you are trying to do. Listen to Gino.

PrintTrader

Merchant Member
Im not an expert but a warning to research if Coro is laser cutting safe. Lasering some pvc / vinyl produces some toxic gas

ADuke

Thank you everyone for your responses. I've done some research and most places that are cutting coroplast are die cutting or laser cutting it (mostly die cutting). The letters our customer wants is done in the varsity font style, so pretty much all straight edges to the letters (no round shapes) so I am confident that I would be able to hand cut them but it would just take a little time. Since they want a custom color with an outline to the letters, I thought I would just digitally print and contour cut the vinyl, apply it to the coroplast, them cut to shape. Due to the time it would take to make and the quanity, it might be better to outsource and have someone else do it for us so we are just looking into what our options would be and the best way to produce them in house if we can. Thank you VanderJ for all the information on the machine itself, that was very helpful!