• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Custom stripe on camaro

The Phranc

Customer called up yesterday asking if we could stripe his Camaro. I asked for exactly what he wanted to be sure first. He sent the rendering and its not your typical "Bumble Bee" stripes.

I've done vehicular vinyl before so I know I "can" do it but not sure I should do it because I don't know what is all involved. It can't be to much different than lettering a van but I assume it has it its own design and application intricacies that I'm not familiar with. Given that I have a few questions.

What vinyl to use? We mostly use Oracal 751 for everything except the fancy holographic, metallic, translucent, ect.. I would hazard to guess I want a re-positionable air release type of flat black for the best lay. Anything I'm missing?

Stripe design? I've painted stripes on many cars but thats a different type of beast all together. Would a cut graphic be better than laying a wide stripe on the car and cutting it out the same way I would mask for paint? If cut graphic is a good idea are there any templates available for the car or the stripes that can be used in flexi?

Chances are really good I'll pass this up but I would like to be ready for the next one so any tips or advice is very welcome.

Thank you for your time.

Automated message:

Please observe Signs 101 rules on posting pictures found here
www.signs101.com/forums/showthread.php?t=35000
:thankyou:

Attachments

• camaro-blk-stripes-1.jpg
    camaro-blk-stripes-1.jpg
    48.8 KB · Views: 153
Last edited by a moderator:

TyrantDesigner

Art! Hot and fresh.
:-\ ... orcal 751 is fine, 951 is better ... cut, mask, cut apart, apply, trim edges. there isn't anything special about the stripe, so it just comes down to taking your time and make sure you measure.

prime signs

This install can be tricky, especially if you are not experienced with this type. The hood on the Camaro curves toward the front but it also has a radius from side to side. This leads to gathering as you work the vinyl. I would recommend a repositional air release vinyl instead of the 751. Don't cut the stripes on the car(Bad Idea) can come back to haunt you. Good luck with it if you take the job or not.
Bob

The Phranc

Probably a stupid question but we dont do wraps or digital printing so I have no idea. Can you run a wrap vinyl thru a plotter and cut out shapes? I ask because my supplier said they discontinued the Arlon 2100x 640 matte black so I may use something like 3M 1080.

petepaz

This install can be tricky, especially if you are not experienced with this type. The hood on the Camaro curves toward the front but it also has a radius from side to side. This leads to gathering as you work the vinyl. I would recommend a repositional air release vinyl instead of the 751. Don't cut the stripes on the car(Bad Idea) can come back to haunt you. Good luck with it if you take the job or not.
Bob
+1
i just did a job like that over the weekend on a dodge sports car and the hood,trunk and roof no problems but going around the fin and down the from and back where you get the curves and grill took a little longer
took me about 3 hours from start to finish and i used 3m 180j w/ comply

sdwnymph

I did these stripes using Oracal 751. I measured the length of each piece and added a little more extra. When I did this car the main hard part was the grill due to way it was, but w/ doing the extra vinyl was able to "finangle it". Good luck.

Automated message:

Please observe Signs 101 rules on posting pictures found here
www.signs101.com/forums/showthread.php?t=35000
:thankyou:

Attachments

• BP_let13.jpg
    BP_let13.jpg
    200.9 KB · Views: 115
Last edited by a moderator:

The Phranc

THIS THREAD makes me :banghead::banghead::banghead: even more.
Thats nice. Are you always this useless? If you have nothing constructive to add then you are being useless. Maybe you think you are being witty in some fashion but all you are really doing is wasting your own time. Perhaps you could work on that aspect of your life and instead of being a useless douche start being more constructive. It might just help with the intellectual dishonesty of your posts where you try to portray some kind of faux superiority as if you have always known the answers. It's rather unbecoming. Or don't you're hurting your self.

By the way at $20 a day I'm renting out banners so much I can't keep them in stock and it has lead to those same customers coming back for other signs and giving referrals.

If you spent less time typing out those little heads smacking against the walls and more time being clever you might feel better about your self and wouldn't find a need to so desperately try to drag others down for that glimmer of importance and attention you crave.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Guess he told you.................... :Big Laugh​

Hey Phrancie.......... it's nice to see someone trying to branch out in other areas of the industry and this is the place to collect some helpful answers, but did you ever entertain the idea of aligning yourself with someone local and getting a part-time job with them so you can learn hands-on what you need to learn ??

We can give you all kinds of answers.... both good and bad, but no one can give you experience to do something. Sure, we can tell you to pull here or heat up to 180° there or use this media or get that product, but you need hands on training for this stuff, since you have really nothing to pull from except regular die-cut vinyl and just laying it down. If you had some neon questions, you’d have an idea of what others are talking about and you could talk the talk, but in your vinyl area of expertise… you really seem to be lacking. Nothing wrong with that, but try not to get so upset when someone gets bummed out… out here in the free section, when you don’t seem to understand something. We’re all in this together and we all have good and bad days. So, I’d like you to invite you to listen a little more before responding to certain posts.

The funny part… like I’m one to give out this kinda advice……. :doh:

HulkSmash

Thats nice. Are you always this useless? If you have nothing constructive to add then you are being useless. Maybe you think you are being witty in some fashion but all you are really doing is wasting your own time. Perhaps you could work on that aspect of your life and instead of being a useless douche start being more constructive. It might just help with the intellectual dishonesty of your posts where you try to portray some kind of faux superiority as if you have always known the answers. It's rather unbecoming. Or don't you're hurting your self.

By the way at $20 a day I'm renting out banners so much I can't keep them in stock and it has lead to those same customers coming back for other signs and giving referrals.

If you spent less time typing out those little heads smacking against the walls and more time being clever you might feel better about your self and wouldn't find a need to so desperately try to drag others down for that glimmer of importance and attention you crave.

I dont think ive ever done $20 jobs before, oh yeah that's because i have a logical shop minimum. It's funny in that last thread i gave you solid advice on what you should be doing when it comes to rentals. I even suggest stands. Yes ok, i got frustrated when you asked if your plotter can cut vinyl, i actually thought you were joking. You spend 45 minutes removing cutting and applying new vinyl to banners and do those rentals. You must make a MINT!

Honestly, that job is much more difficult than it looks. We do them for mini cooper all the time, and its difficult. This one is harder. Let someone with experience do it.

AUTO-FX

I'm going to chime in with a helpful outlook, and pretend I didnt read the whole thread.
I would suggest using an air release vinyl, and laying down 3M blue fine line tape as a guide to hand cut the edges. This will give you flexibilty to install and measure out your lines. Cutting stripes on the car should be done with great care. Snap your blades repeatedly. Cut lightly. Practice on your own car first so you are aware of how much pressure is needed so as not to cut the paint. The front bumper is going to be tricky, even with the air release vinyl.
And dont do it cheap. Think about how much it would cost the guy to have it painted on and go from there. The fact that it is removable has some value too, like if the guy paints it on, he's stuck with it forever.
If you cant get a real good buck for doing it, then it's not worth it.

TedNes

Orange Camaro?----may I suggest MATTE WHITE for the stripes.....kind of a reverse of the classic 69 Indy pace Car, and the 2011 Indy Pace Car.....

matte is the newest and hottest thing in vehicle graphics......matte black gets STUPID HOT in the summer----my car was matte black last summer, and my A/C was on 100% of the time......

Matte White might be a nice offering if you haven't done the stripe job yet.....

petepaz

I'm going to chime in with a helpful outlook, and pretend I didnt read the whole thread.
I would suggest using an air release vinyl, and laying down 3M blue fine line tape as a guide to hand cut the edges. This will give you flexibilty to install and measure out your lines. Cutting stripes on the car should be done with great care. Snap your blades repeatedly. Cut lightly. Practice on your own car first so you are aware of how much pressure is needed so as not to cut the paint. The front bumper is going to be tricky, even with the air release vinyl.
And dont do it cheap. Think about how much it would cost the guy to have it painted on and go from there. The fact that it is removable has some value too, like if the guy paints it on, he's stuck with it forever.
If you cant get a real good buck for doing it, then it's not worth it.
the tape is a good idea. i used regular masking tape when i did a similar job and the stripes lined up great. still probaly want to keep the cutting on the car to a minimum. if they remove the strips and have big cut lines they won't be happy also i think you open the door for rust or paint chips down the road

HulkSmash

Orange Camaro?----may I suggest MATTE WHITE for the stripes.....kind of a reverse of the classic 69 Indy pace Car, and the 2011 Indy Pace Car.....

matte is the newest and hottest thing in vehicle graphics......matte black gets STUPID HOT in the summer----my car was matte black last summer, and my A/C was on 100% of the time......

Matte White might be a nice offering if you haven't done the stripe job yet.....

I don't think 4 inch black strips is going to make a temp, difference like a whole wrap would.

"Deposit Please"

Just curious phranc, what kind of business are you in, signs and just getting started ??? As for the stripes, i use oracal 751 for light-colored cars and 951 for the dark-colored cars.

Last edited:

signswi

Matte was the hottest thing like 5 years ago now it's just mainstream and normal. It's what you want on that particular car but it's not something you can get all OMG MATTE about anymore.

J

john1

Since the stripes aren't going over the cowl hood edge on the hood, You should be able to pre-cut and mask these for best application right?