• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Customer permission to post job pics online?

Stacey K

I like making signs
Welp, you just reminded me of why I never bothered with FB. Sounds like even more of a cesspool of muck than ever before...yuck. I don't have a personal account and have no interest in it other than for the business...but all that? I'm thinking no now.

I recently watched a Youtube video from a woodworking channel who lost half his business due to Instagram shutting down his account for no reason, just some generic "violation of our terms" notice. You can't reach a human to discuss it, there's nothing you can do, it's just gone. You get what you pay for, I guess.
Yes, that's owned by the F ::: B people so same stuff happens to them.

It's a great way to advertise and it's free unless you buy ads, which I have done in the past. You can make a personal account but just don't use it.

gnubler

Sure, but free is never really free, and often ends up being very expensive.

I can see it already, putting the time and effort into building my business page, then having it mysteriously disappear after posting a local political campaign sign that the overlords don't approve of. I'm guessing they aren't fans of right wing/Republican junk.

Texas_Signmaker

Very Active Signmaker
Don't worry, he's at home humping his new lamp. He'll be blind for a few hours.

share.jpg

netsol

Interesting points. I look at a lot of sign company websites and their image galleries, generally there's no byline or information about the project.

Stacey - are you talking about posting on FB? I was thinking about that Mexican restaurant sign you just did and how much local interest it spawned. I wasn't referring specifically to artwork/graphic design, but rather the production and/or installation of signage, whether I designed it or not. I've been toying with setting up a FB page and wondering if it was ok to post images of past jobs, maybe with a little plug for their business, or if I should ask the customer first.
these days, no good deed goes unpunished. i suppose you have to ask them. it would be a shame to lose a good customer, whose project you are proud of. better to ask and play it safe

Do you request a customer's permission to post images of your work online? (Your website, social media, etc) I never have and figure unless they specifically request confidentiality then I'm clear to market my work publicly.

Anyone run into issues of a customer seeing images of their sign/property in your gallery and complaining?
No if anything they should be happy cause it is a form of marketing there business as well enless it is something person you did for them that is embarrassing lol

SignDesignLady

Always Learning
FB is a run by a bunch of communists! They are trying to brainwash everyone to drink their kool aid. I HATE social media specifically for this type of BS. Who do they think they are? This is why I put more work into my website and not social media. The links help my SEO and that is the main reason I have those accounts, if it weren't for that, honestly I would delete the personal FB account as well. I primarily use that to view pictures of my grandkids. I post pictures of some of the work we do but have precious little time to partake of that social one up nonsense.

Notarealsignguy

Arial - it's almost helvetica
FB is a run by a bunch of communists! They are trying to brainwash everyone to drink their kool aid. I HATE social media specifically for this type of BS. Who do they think they are? This is why I put more work into my website and not social media. The links help my SEO and that is the main reason I have those accounts, if it weren't for that, honestly I would delete the personal FB account as well. I primarily use that to view pictures of my grandkids. I post pictures of some of the work we do but have precious little time to partake of that social one up nonsense.
Then stop using it.

Kemik

I sell stickers and sticker accessories.
I had permission to post a job and still got in trouble for posting it. Probably not as much trouble as the person who gave the permission in the first place, but I have not printed a job for that customer since that post.

gnubler

Customers upload their own images and reviews for me on the various marketplaces
I've had this happen on Google reviews for my business profile, done voluntarily.

Speaking of Google Business Profile, is anyone else getting any results from it? You can upload images and create posts to rank your business higher in searches.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Does anybody actually get lotsa business through these channels, other than a buncha busy work ??

I don't remember anyone ever telling me they got our name through anything other than a customer referral, our website or word of mouth. How many serious people wanting a fleet of trucks or a whole slew of signs made are doing it on their phone ?? Maybe some one-offs, but really how many large accounts came in like this ??

victor bogdanov

Does anybody actually get lotsa business through these channels, other than a buncha busy work ??

I don't remember anyone ever telling me they got our name through anything other than a customer referral, our website or word of mouth.
I got a 6 figure job from posting an IG story of my printer printing. A purchaser from a large company was scrolling through IG, saw my post and contacted me to see if I can do a big rush job for them. after visiting my shop they placed the order