• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Customers Not Planning Ahead is Costing Me $$$

Boudica

Back to "educational purposes"
To be supportive of the OP... Yes, those "I needed it yesterday" and "how fast can you do this" is for sure on the incline, and comes up more and more. For me it's annoying at most. If it's logistically impossible. There you go, game over. I'm the maker, not the sales person, but when I answer the phone (because I'm the only one there at the time) and I'm asked how fast can You do this...? My first question is when do you NEED it? Drop dead deadline. More often than not, there's plenty of time, I don't have to bump anything else back in my production queue, it's all fine. Sometimes the client is in a panick, but it's all good. IDK what you do specifically... Just tossing that out there.

CanuckSigns

Also, most clients lie about deadlines, if they need it for the 15th, they tell you they need it on the 3rd, usually when you have a conversation with them this becomes clear, and those that don't, they can become someone else's problem

Boudica

Back to "educational purposes"
Also, most clients lie about deadlines, if they need it for the 15th, they tell you they need it on the 3rd, usually when you have a conversation with them this becomes clear, and those that don't, they can become someone else's problem
In my past life, when I was on the other side... I did that. Years ago... But yeah, it's a thing, and has been forever. That's why I now press... "Absolute, nevermind, thanks anyway.. Date"

visual800

As you get on in years, you will learn your favorite word is "NO!" Do not be afraid to say it. You have to learn to control "rabid" customers, and they can be controlled. I have stopped doing rush jobs several years ago. Its stressful, aggravating and mentally exhausting. Especially right now when everything takes so long. Im certainly not trying to be a Billy Bada$$ here. Customers do not plan well and they act on urgency. No one does their job anymore. Kindly send them elsewhere and most of the time they will spend another week getting other quotes and badgering other people. Happens everytime

RUSH jobs pay 100% in full up front, very VERR rarely do they bring you a check to get started. Money upfront ALWAYS reduces their urgency

I have been told "Well we will never deal your company again!"............they say things like this because they arent mad at you they are mad at themselves for not fulfilling what they should have already had in the works. We live in a different world now, where NOW is the normal. I dont play along with that because Im not losing sleep over what I cant deliver after i promised. If someone wants a 4x8 banner in 2 days, I tell them I can have that to them installed in approx 7 days worst scenario. That gives me time to order it and then install it.

People do not NEED stuff today, they WANT it today, remember that!

rjssigns

As you get on in years, you will learn your favorite word is "NO!" Do not be afraid to say it. You have to learn to control "rabid" customers, and they can be controlled. I have stopped doing rush jobs several years ago. Its stressful, aggravating and mentally exhausting. Especially right now when everything takes so long. Im certainly not trying to be a Billy Bada$$ here. Customers do not plan well and they act on urgency. No one does their job anymore. Kindly send them elsewhere and most of the time they will spend another week getting other quotes and badgering other people. Happens everytime

RUSH jobs pay 100% in full up front, very VERR rarely do they bring you a check to get started. Money upfront ALWAYS reduces their urgency

I have been told "Well we will never deal your company again!"............they say things like this because they arent mad at you they are mad at themselves for not fulfilling what they should have already had in the works. We live in a different world now, where NOW is the normal. I dont play along with that because Im not losing sleep over what I cant deliver after i promised. If someone wants a 4x8 banner in 2 days, I tell them I can have that to them installed in approx 7 days worst scenario. That gives me time to order it and then install it.

People do not NEED stuff today, they WANT it today, remember that!
BOOM!!! This right here^^^^^ On point!!! Gold star and whatever other accolades and kudos appropriate for this response.

I decided a long while back I'm not going to chase every dollar or be rushed. I do things on my time line and if that isn't good enough then walk. Absolutely incredible how much better I sleep.
BTW just had an epiphany of sorts because of a sub contractor debacle. Boils down to if I can't produce it in house I'm not going to do it.

rossmosh

A lot of assumptions being made because you think these are "Hey, I want to put a sign on my wall" orders. These are event driven, engraved items which each one has a unique message. They don't want it for a certain date. They "need" it for an event date. Getting stock in is 20% of the battle. Getting info submitted is 50% of the battle. Proof approval is 20% of the battle. Production is 10% of the battle. Not having it is a fairly big problem (not a real problem, but a first world problem that would be a real problem for me as it would put me out of business).

I agree with people letting orders walk out the door. I let orders walk fairly regularly. The issue is where it used to be a 1-2 time a month situation, now it's a 1-2 times a week situation.

Notarealsignguy

Arial - it's almost helvetica
It's not the rush jobs that get me, it's getting bogged down in too much work or running into problems that push all of the jobs back. Then things that weren't a rush start turning into a rush.

Notarealsignguy

A lot of assumptions being made because you think these are "Hey, I want to put a sign on my wall" orders. These are event driven, engraved items which each one has a unique message. They don't want it for a certain date. They "need" it for an event date. Getting stock in is 20% of the battle. Getting info submitted is 50% of the battle. Proof approval is 20% of the battle. Production is 10% of the battle. Not having it is a fairly big problem (not a real problem, but a first world problem that would be a real problem for me as it would put me out of business).

I agree with people letting orders walk out the door. I let orders walk fairly regularly. The issue is where it used to be a 1-2 time a month situation, now it's a 1-2 times a week situation.
But if that is the business you are in, that is what you are going to get? I don't really understand the gripe. By nature, events are rush scenarios and have firm deadlines. It's sort of like being in construction, there are delays in planning due to weather, inspections, supplies, mistakes etc and those delays are made up by pushing everyone to rush. It isn't poor planning, it's just how things go.

rossmosh

But if that is the business you are in, that is what you are going to get? I don't really understand the gripe. By nature, events are rush scenarios and have firm deadlines. It's sort of like being in construction, there are delays in planning due to weather, inspections, supplies, mistakes etc and those delays are made up by pushing everyone to rush. It isn't poor planning, it's just how things go.

I've been in the business for 20 years. You're actually incorrect.

1. Events are planned, weeks, if not months in advance. They are the opposite of last minute.

2. Construction is a horrible example because they literally run over schedule all the time due to delays. You should know that in the sign industry. You have to have something done for an opening day, you get it done, and the customer comes in 3 weeks later because their opening day was pushed back a month due to construction delays.

signheremd

My best suggestion is to ask yourself why you are not keeping the needed substrate in stock... clearly a percentage of the issue is time for material acquisition, so money invested into inventory positively drives bottomline and can mitigate some stress. We always keep some vinyls and substrate on hand so we can run even when there is a material shortage or to respond to rush orders (especially from good customers). When we get a rush job, we offer in stock substrate and let them know timeline on special order stuff.

Notarealsignguy

I've been in the business for 20 years. You're actually incorrect.

1. Events are planned, weeks, if not months in advance. They are the opposite of last minute.

2. Construction is a horrible example because they literally run over schedule all the time due to delays. You should know that in the sign industry. You have to have something done for an opening day, you get it done, and the customer comes in 3 weeks later because their opening day was pushed back a month due to construction delays.
No, it is actually a good example. Do you think that construction isn't planned way in advance? They don't have a schedule and deadlines? Have you ever heard of liquidated damages?
It's a bit selfish to think that these people planning these events do not run into logistical issues as well. Like their business is super smooth and the event planners are just ignorant. The difference with them is that they have a hard date, they have no choice but to make it happen. Maybe they are waiting on booth assignments, or someone drops out and a better spot comes available. That changes things.
You want your customers to understand your predicament and respect it but you aren't doing the same for them.

Texas_Signmaker

Very Active Signmaker
Your thread title is "customers not planning ahead costing me $$" that is where you are wrong. It should be costing THEM $$$ not you. You should be making more $$ for having to rush. We all have a price, either take the job and work hard for the extra $$ you charge, or decline it. I accepted a rush order yesterday... I can move some stuff around and work this weekend if needed, but I charged twice my regular rate.

appropriate1

Pagers started it. As a one man operation, I used to go out all day with my kit and brushes lettering boats or trucks and come home at 6 and hear my messages, all to be returned to following day. That was normal. Then, even before cell phones, we had pagers for $5 a month. And they would page and you would you used your calling card at the nearest pay phone to get back to them. If you didn't call back in an hour or two, some were upset. I stayed up until 2 am nearly every night for many years and never went to bed on Thursday nights to make end of week deadlines, sometimes delivering signs wet with brush strokes and stacked correctly in the truck. And then you lose a customer to another sign guy that is $5 cheaper per truck. No loyalty and my commitment to them did not go both ways. Finally, I learned to say "no," and suggest that they plan ahead next time. Life is so much better without sleepness nights and no rush order fee could make me want to do that again. Don't sell your life to someone else's lack of planning.

White Haus

Not a Newbie
My best suggestion is to ask yourself why you are not keeping the needed substrate in stock... clearly a percentage of the issue is time for material acquisition, so money invested into inventory positively drives bottomline and can mitigate some stress. We always keep some vinyls and substrate on hand so we can run even when there is a material shortage or to respond to rush orders (especially from good customers). When we get a rush job, we offer in stock substrate and let them know timeline on special order stuff.

Ding ding ding.

Keep lots of common material on hand, make the ordering process painfully simple for your customers, and just say no when they don't play by your rules & ask for unreasonable turnaround times. Either that or just double your price and hire more people to relieve some of your stress?

I dunno, I guess it's easy to spit out suggestions based on the limited cryptic details you've provided, but I feel like you're missing the point that this is YOUR business and you shouldn't be losing money/sleep over customers. That's not the point of owning your own business.

If for some reason (material shortage, schedule, etc) I can't provide what the customer wants (or thinks they want) I have a reply that has worked very well , kept them from walking out the door and gotten future work..... here's basically what I say:

"I'm so sorry I can't provide that specific product right now but perhaps some drop off material would work for you?" Then offer what you CAN do for them. It shows you want to help them, that you have compassion for their situation and are willing to work with them. I rarely have anyone walk away and if they do, they don't forget how they were treated for the next time.

Stop stressing about it.... we can't do everything for every situation but we can always make the customer feel valued and that in turn helps the way we feel about these high stress, annoying situations.

You say it's costing you money but why? You either make a sale at that moment or not. If you're taking on too many things (and we all do this) that is causing a production problem then you need to evaluate that and adjust. I'm not putting you down, just speaking from experience.

Inventory is important but you don't have to have so much of it that you end up sitting on a bunch "waiting" to sell it. Have a wholesale sign shop like Signs 365 or a local company that can help take the pressure off. Are you friends with the other sign companies in your area? Many of the shops that are my "competition" have been extremely helpful in situations like this and we help each other often.

Hope some of that helps, good luck!

Stacey K

I like making signs
Unless it's an event, most people don't NEED anything...they want it.

I had a repeat customer order a large amount of apparel. They HAD to have a couple hoodies for a weekend event, I did it. She then they began hounding me for the rest of it the next day. I told her a range of days that I would complete it - late last week or early this week as I was still waiting for a couple items to arrive from multiple locations packed in with about 500 other various items. I said I can't give her an exact day or time, just a range. She emailed me last week every single day for updates - I did not give in and email her every day with updates - I already told her. She wanted to know what was missing, what day I expected each item...I only responded to a couple of the emails and it was the same response I gave her the week before. Anyway, I got about 7 boxes of t-shirts Friday. Saturday I found her last few items in two of the boxes. I emailed her Monday morning and said I was finishing up her order today, would finalize the invoice and expect to pick up Tuesday, 8-4. Nope, she had to know an exact time I would be done...I said I can't give you an exact time, please plan for Tuesday pick-up.

Guess where the boxes are right now as I type? They are sitting next to me.

People don't NEED things, they just want them...or they have too much time on their hands and this project is the only thing they have going on in their life right now.