• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Cut large rectangle with my summa

bigben

Hi folks!

I have to cut large rectangle with my summa D160R. The material is 3M Dinoc and I have to cut 3 rectangles of 14inX240in (20ft) of a 48in wide roll. Is it possible? Could I use the flexcut feature? I have 6 sheets like this to do.

What do you think?

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Well, ya either need to build a bigger table, like real quick..... or go buy one.

Assuming you can cut these rectangles, once you have these large rectangles cut, how will you accurately work on them or do whatever it is you have to do to them ?? Won't you need some sort of large flat surface at some point in this equation ??

bigben

Well, ya either need to build a bigger table, like real quick..... or go buy one.

Assuming you can cut these rectangles, once you have these large rectangles cut, how will you accurately work on them or do whatever it is you have to do to them ?? Won't you need some sort of large flat surface at some point in this equation ??

If I can cut it with my vinyl cutter, then the weeding and rough cutting will be easy. As long that my rectangle are accurate. The panels will be, then, install on a wall. I add a 1in bleed to be safe.

So my question is not about cutting it by hand but if the summa can do it.

Bly

Summas automatically pre feed so no need to babysit them like that.

Once loaded correctly I'd have no problem cutting anything that size.
We have a D160R and use it for cutting large shapes.

The only thing that would concern me is the texture of the dinoc.
Maybe run it through once without a blade fitted.

FatCat

Summas automatically pre feed so no need to babysit them like that.

Once loaded correctly I'd have no problem cutting anything that size.
We have a D160R and use it for cutting large shapes.

The only thing that would concern me is the texture of the dinoc.
Maybe run it through once without a blade fitted.

This. As Bly mentioned, the texture is what causes me concern...

However, as long as you're using the media feed wheels and everything is lined up straight I trust that the Summa will cut it right. I would advise to slow your speed down so that it isn't whipping the vinyl through the rollers and definitely do some small test cuts to make sure your blade depth and pressures are adjusted properly for the material.

Good luck. :thumb:

SightLine

║▌║█║▌│║▌║▌█
I might also suggest that since the dinoc is so rigid you might want to run it with the basket closed letting it drape onto the floor front and back with plenty of room. That material is pretty rigid and that length into the fabric basket might end up getting jumbled and then its going to get ruined. I've run some print/cut logos on laminated 3M 680 reflective that are 22 feet long x about 45 inches wide on ours with no problem. With something like that I do put the print onto a core and use the Summa media holders to help make sure it stays straight. I also slow it way down for those. To ruin one single logo that size on printed on 3M 680 is roughly a $500 mistake..... (probably about $450 in vinyl, ink, lam plus at least $50 in time wasted). That would be painful and eat up any profit in a very big hurry. With some care in setting things up right though, our S160T cuts them near dead perfect every time.

rjssigns

We just finished cutting side by side 17' long stripes with our ancient Summa. Perfectly straight. Use the guides in the core, take your time to line up the material, and slow it down a tad.

Chimuka

I am not familiar with this material , but I would try to print opos marks on the material. Even if you have to stick some printable white on your materiel. Then you can cut it in as short of sections as you would like and the marks would permit you to re-align the material .