• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Cutting coroplast sign board

Craig Keller

Can I cut this with a cnc router? Can I apply the printed vinyl first this cut it?
Any suggestions on cnc router models?

Thanks!

DL Signs

Never go against the family
CNC routers don't work good for coroplast, the material just melts when the bit gets hot, and usually leaves chatter marks. If you use a CNC for coroplast, use a drag knife instead of the router. Or invest in a flatbed cutter, they're a fraction of the cost of a CNC, they excel at this type of stuff, some come with a router too suitable for most stuff you'll do in graphics, and they're as accurate and easy to run as a plotter, so you can lay vinyl first, then cut. Kongsberg is probably the best, but there are several companies that make them.

ikarasu

You can route it too - for awhile we only had the shitty dragknife on our CNC... So we routed sheet after sheet of Coro. It leaves the inside flute part, but if you set the ipm high enough it doesn't melt the Coro at all.

We then used a soldering iron and ran it across the edge of the Coro... It cleaned up all the little pieces of plastic pretty good without any burn marks.

A knife is better, for sure - less cleanup... But you can get by with a router/CNC if you need to.

Flatbed Tools

Merchant Member
Any suggestions to .complete setup for this?

Thanks
Hey Craig,
Few questions. Do you have a CNC router (doesn't sound like it but I am just checking)? How many of these signs are you looking to produce? You could use a 3rd party fulfillment (Signs365.com or FireSprint.com) that would print and cut for you for a decent price!

Send me an email and phone number and we can give you a call about potentially used knife cutting equipment. Info@flatbedtools.com

johnnysigns

You can definitely CNC coroplast. You will likely get some fuzzies along the fluted sides, but we do it all the time. Printed or unprinted. The trick is to use a brand new tool - preferably cut with the image side down and ramp the feed rates up.

signdudegraphix

We have a Yeti Smartbench Precision Pro that we’ve used to cut MaxMetal (ACM) with vinyl applied first. Haven’t tried coroplast yet, but with the correct bit I’m sure it’s possible.

Attachments

• 174FA0CF-29B9-43B6-8CD1-D81B8D4F4DDF.jpeg
    174FA0CF-29B9-43B6-8CD1-D81B8D4F4DDF.jpeg
    2.5 MB · Views: 113