• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

cutting in versaworks after laminating

stillhasdust

I am a newbie so if some one can help I would really appreciate it.

I am trying to print...laminate...then cut and this is how I do it now and it is not working at all

I set a contour cut in Flexi 8.5 then export it as a .eps. Next I go into versaworks and set it to print only with crop marks. After it prints I laminate it but when I put it back into the roland and set it to cut only on versaworks it seems to never find the registration marks. It usually feeds the image to the last crop marks and searchs for them but never finds them....any help will be greatly appreciated...thanks in advance

signrios

i usually trim and remove the laminated around the crop marks and it works
i'm also new to this print and cut.

SoCalN8V

You don't have to remove the laminate from the crop marks. Or at least, we've never done that and we print/laminate/cut all the time.

Mike Paul

Super Active Member
It usually feeds the image to the last crop marks and searchs for them but never finds them....any help will be greatly appreciated...thanks in advance

Load the material and make sure the crop marks are over the cutting strip area. It should scan the front marks then advance the material and scan the back.

threeputt

You probably know this, but it would definetly account for the Roland not finding the crop marks.

One crop market corner is different than all the others. Be sure that you re-insert the media back into the printer with the crop mark that has the little "bar" at the front right corner of the machine. (as you look at the machine from the operators position)

Once I made this mistake myself, and couldn't figure out why the media wasn't finding the marks. Kept getting an error message stating "crop marks not found".

Try this if you haven't already.

Sign Works

Print/Lam/Cut feature has always worked flawlessly on my Roland SP-300V using Versaworks. The manual describes the process vaguely but well enough that even I got it right the first time. A couple things I can think of might be the culprit......

* Are you using the same riped file for print & then cut?
* Are you leaving enough media before and after the registration marks?
* Are you reloading the media back into the printer the same way it was printed?
* Are you aligning the cutter blade to the first registration mark?

I'd recommend reviewing both the Printer manual & the Versaworks manual to see if you are overlooking something.
I've even printed on opaque colored vinyls such as charcoal metallic and the printer has no problem reading the registration marks.
Good luck :thumb:

* Also, do you see the marching ants in Versaworks that represent the contour cut? if not you may not be applying it correctly in Flexi.
I also use Flexi to apply contour cuts, works great & super easy.

signs2trade

Load the material and make sure the crop marks are over the cutting strip area. It should scan the front marks then advance the material and scan the back.
THIS IS CORRECT....THE CROP MARKS HAVE TO BE OVER THE CUTTING STRIP. MAKE SURE YOU LOAD THE MATERIAL SQUARE WITH BOTH FRONT CROP MARKS ON TOP OF THE CUTTING STRIP.....

stonetree

I had some trouble with my machine finding the marks with glossy laminate. A tech walked me through a very fine adjustment on the "eye" that reads the marks. Try a test of finding the marks without lamination. If it finds them like that you may need the same adjustment.

hoppers

Signworks one point of:

* Are you leaving enough media before and after the registration marks?

is very important...I struggled for like 3 days until I read the one small line that says you need to leave enough material AFTER the print is done....so feed another couple of inches out and then do a sheet cut. Sure it wastes a bit of material, but once I did that - it found all 4 marks and cut great after laminating.

I too dont need to do the post it note technique, although I tried it before I found out the above "trick". So I dont think it is needed in most situations, but try it out as a last resort.

Good luck!

KellySigns

I have had trouble with this and found my lighting conditions were not good enough, but once I setup an extra light in front of the printer it picked up the marks alot better.

Cheers.